Body study as seen from my perspective

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: Body study as seen from my perspective

Postby joepal » Wed May 04, 2022 2:11 pm

On the last image, is the skin the procedural one created by MPFB using your texture? Or is the skin material something you've built some other way?

Just curious, since it looks so much better than it does on my machine...
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby tomcat » Wed May 04, 2022 10:15 pm

Mindfront wrote:I made my first animation as an presentation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMKwb9EZP-c

Gorgeous work! The video makes a strong impression with its detail. I will strive for similar quality in my project :D

I have several times encountered problems uploading to Blendswap therefore I'm looking for another Blender friendly site where I can publish as an alternative.

You can just use file sharing sites such as MEGA and MediaFire.

Jodelle is downloadable at https://sketchfab.com/Mindfront

Unfortunately it is not available or there is a need to register?

Is it possible to give a link to your work on the site of the game engine? Perhaps your experience and the capabilities of the MH will be interested in game developers.
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby Mindfront » Thu May 05, 2022 10:03 pm

joepal wrote:On the last image, is the skin the procedural one created by MPFB using your texture? Or is the skin material something you've built some other way?

Just curious, since it looks so much better than it does on my machine...

The procedural skin cell texture is still based upon the node group Wolgade uploaded many years ago, with small adjustments. I think its almost unchanged since the first post 2018. Same base skin material on all our characters for several years, one size fits all :D. Maybe someday experiment with Blender 3.1 new SSS settings. If you are interested to take a look here is an almost empty Blender 3.1 blend-file with the skin material.
Mindfront_Skin_material_with_procedural_skin_cells.blend
Skin material with procedural skin cells
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 1164 times
The output of the "Skin_Normal_specular_correction" node group may be shifted to "Normal to diffuse" instead of "Normal to specular". I made this as Blender earlier gave artifacts at certain angles on my body normal map, not certain if this apply to latest Blender version.
Skin_material.png
Example
The character looks almost better with the original MakeHuman 2048p color texture than using my own 8192p color texture.

And, :oops: , still using version 1.1.1, although my new computer should be able to run newer version, but I haven't had time to try (read laziness).
Mindfront

Postby Mindfront » Thu May 05, 2022 10:13 pm

tomcat wrote:Gorgeous work! The video makes a strong impression with its detail.
Thank you :D Rendered using cycles and only 720p to save time. It would be fun to make a walk animation but that have to wait.

tomcat wrote:I will strive for similar quality in my project :D
I am curious 8-)

tomcat wrote:You can just use file sharing sites such as MEGA and MediaFire.
Maybe something to take a look at as second alternative.

tomcat wrote:Unfortunately it is not available or there is a need to register?
On sketchfab it seems necessary to register before able to download, and I listed Jodelle as restricted (very detailed body except the most intimate), which requires enabling show restricted content, otherwise the file will not be visible.

tomcat wrote:Is it possible to give a link to your work on the site of the game engine? Perhaps your experience and the capabilities of the MH will be interested in game developers.
Always possible :D I'm not familiar with game development, my goal was to create almost photorealistic characters for Blender and still image renders. Only using free software without license restrictions, this way I and Bellatrix really own our characters.
Mindfront

Postby tomcat » Fri May 06, 2022 10:45 am

Mindfront wrote: I'm not familiar with game development, my goal was to create almost photorealistic characters for Blender and still image renders.

Godot can open Blender files as your own scenes, along with animations. This is exactly what I wanted to test on your file. But, to my greatest regret, for some reason I can't register on Sketchfab. It's been like this for the second day now:
Code: Select all
Registration unexpectedly failed. Please try again later.

:(
Maybe something to take a look at as second alternative.

There is another good place to post your work with source files — DeviantArt.

I've posted a link to your work. MH isn't used much in gamedev yet - at the moment it's not very suitable for that, but hopefully that will change.

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby Mindfront » Sat May 07, 2022 10:51 pm

tomcat wrote:Godot can open Blender files as your own scenes, along with animations. This is exactly what I wanted to test on your file. But, to my greatest regret, for some reason I can't register on Sketchfab. It's been like this for the second day now:
Very strange :cry: .
Jodelle is now also available at Blendswap https://blendswap.com/blend/30036 but that site also requires an account.

tomcat wrote:There is another good place to post your work with source files — DeviantArt.
That site I have totally forgotten, now created an account for future use. Maybe an alternative to flickr if I like the user experience. Must try it a bit first before decide.

tomcat wrote:I've posted a link to your work. MH isn't used much in gamedev yet - at the moment it's not very suitable for that, but hopefully that will change.
:D MakeHuman have alot of potential, a hidden gem. :idea: That reminds me that I made a mistake in the video description, eager to get closure, forgot to mention created using MakeHuman. Now corrected :ugeek:
Mindfront

Postby wolgade » Sun May 08, 2022 7:54 am

Mindfront wrote:The procedural skin cell texture is still based upon the node group Wolgade uploaded many years ago, with small adjustments.

Cool! This is proof, that it's a very good idea to share your stuff. Someone else might take it to a level never expected. It's always a pleasure to admire your work.
wolgade

Postby Mindfront » Sun May 08, 2022 10:25 pm

wolgade wrote:Cool! This is proof, that it's a very good idea to share your stuff. Someone else might take it to a level never expected. It's always a pleasure to admire your work.
I am grateful that you presented the solution to the problem I had. Sat for months trying to get the textures and materials right but kept feeling like something was missing and I didn't want to create even higher resolution textures either. Got a whim to test your skin cell node group and suddenly everything fell into place. There was a completely different luster on the skin which I cannot do without. In Blender 3.1 the characters looks even better as now the body normal map shadow terminator artifacts is almost gone.
Mindfront

Previous

Return to Gallery