MakeHuman used in my game engine

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

MakeHuman used in my game engine

Postby LancerSolurus » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:33 am

I have recently managed to get a working pipeline to get MakeHuman characters into my game engine. Thanks for all the hard work on this program, free human models without a very restrictive license is pretty hard to find. Now I can make one any way I want it to look. Also thanks to the creators whom made the clothing and jewelry she is wearing. If you are the author, let me know so I can credit you. I won't have a chance to track down who you are for the next week due to dealing with the death of my grandmother on the morning after the release of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8DujnCM30M
LancerSolurus

Re: MakeHuman used in my game engine

Postby grinsegold » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:06 am

Be careful not to underestimate your responsability and the severeness of legal punishment you can expect for violating copyrights. It's not the duty of the asset author to look after citations. It's yours.
grinsegold

Postby joepal » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:06 am

Yes, it is your responsibility to follow the attribution clause of the CC-BY license, if you used assets licensed thusly. While it might be improbable that someone would come after you for it, not attributing the author of a CC-BY asset is a very rude thing to do.

To help you along:

The tunic is "Assymetric Tunic and Sash" by Dred Nicolsson: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... _sash.html. This is a CC-BY asset.
The jeans are (I think) "Tight jeans" by Punkduck: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... emale.html. This is a CC-BY asset.
The earring is "diamond ear-ring" by Wolgade: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... ht_01.html. This a CC0 asset which does not need to be attributed.

The hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, skin and shoes look like they are bundled standard assets. These do not need to be attributed.

It would have been enough to simply write "This video included clothing assets made by Dred Nicolsson and Punkduck" in the description for the youtube video, although a more detailed description included in the video as such would have been appreciated.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby LancerSolurus » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the assets. The rest is part of the bundled assets in MH. The jeans are by Mindfront (F Trouser 01). They all have been credit in the video description now. I didn't realize I had forgotten to credit them until I was in the middle of making the post on here.
LancerSolurus

Postby wolgade » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:53 pm

LancerSolurus wrote:I didn't realize I had forgotten to credit them until I was in the middle of making the post on here.

That's the trouble with using stuff created by other people except it's CC0. It's very hard to keep track of licenses and sources, especially when it comes to complex projects with a lot of assets in it.

Quite off topic: Now we know: Lara Croft raised a daughter (Tomb Raider was released back in 1996) and this girl moves quite similar to her mother. The camera man stayed the same. Seriously: The camera perspective and the movement of the character reminded me very much of good old Tomb Raider, including the resting breathing character. I haven't been playing computer games for almost two decades. Do they still look the same as all these years ago?

Anyway: Almost twenty years ago when I explored dangerous places with Lara, it wouldn't have come to my mind that Lara's daughter might like jewelry I created. To be honest, I never would have thought that I'd ever create jewelry. :lol:
wolgade

---

Postby DredNicolson » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:07 am

Eh, I don't exactly have a brigade of lawyers waiting to swoop down on anybody who forgets to credit me. I don't make enough money from the work (none) to pay for them! :D

Condolences for your grandma's passing. :(
DredNicolson

Postby LancerSolurus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:22 am

Tomb raider, I had not thought of that. I does remind me of Laura from the original game like you said, albeit a much higher res version. I have only played the original which was pretty low-poly. Your jewelry was a nice addition to the character, thanks for making it!

As far as crediting people, I prefer to do that for everyone, even if it's CC0 types. The way I see it is if you created it, I want viewers to check out your other creations. Everything else in the video was made by my friends Furball and Sol Command. The Arteria stuff I paid for. The music was given away for free to anyone by Mathew for use as free/commercial. Makes it a great deal easier when crediting people, especially considering my game data is over 4.5 gigs. As it was I was dealing with a grandmother who could no longer take care of herself (onset of symptoms of the brain tumor to death ~7 weeks) and a friend I've taken care of for the last 2.5 years was in the hospital with a massive infection. My apologies, I have been a bit scatter brained of late.

@DredNicolson - thanks you for your kind words!
LancerSolurus

Return to Gallery