Cover Project

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Cover Project

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:16 am

I'm a writer, not a graphic artist, and I just started using MH last week. This model is part of a WIP to go on a book cover since I can't afford to pay the guy who did my first three covers.

Is it realistic enough?

SwanAndroidDetX1.png
Antiqua_Sphinge

Re: Cover Project

Postby joepal » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:32 pm

Depends on your needs I guess. But you could easily get a more realistic render without much extra effort. Assuming you are rendering in blender, take a look here: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _render%3F

On that page, you will find a link to a .blend file with proper lighting already set up (you can disregard the rest of the discussion). If you load that and import your toon, you should get a more realistic render without needing to do a whole lot more.

Without changing anything a toon will then look like this:

Add a few more tweaks and you can get a toon that looks like this:

Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:32 pm

I kind of envy the graphic artist who did my first three covers for his ease and ability -- I don't think he spent more than two hours on any one cover he made for me. Then again he's been doing his main work for publishers since the 70s. He's also sick of seeing lousy book covers by Self-Published authors.

Since I just started working with MakeHuman and Blender, prior graphics experience resizing photos or adjusting a few one-piece book covers. Let me know if this first render is on track for the basic theme I'm going for.

An android, apparently human female capable of having sex, non-threatening in appearance, with an outer integument affixed to a carbon nanotube skeletal matrix.

SwanAndroidTest1.png

**Note: The lingerie is by punkduck**

Now if I can just figure out how to rotate the camera when doing a render with LightRoom2.
Antiqua_Sphinge

---

Postby DredNicolson » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:20 pm

Snap the 3D cursor to the origin point of the toon, and change the pivot point to 3D cursor. You can then rotate the camera turntable-style around that point.

Alternately, create an Empty object and parent the camera to it. You can then rotate the Empty to spin the camera around it.

Can also parent the lights and background to the same Empty to spin them with the camera, to keep the lighting setup consistent.
DredNicolson

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:36 am

Actually punkduck has my heartfelt thanks for taking the time to provide me with a Dash One on how to rotate the model, and should I get daring, pose it for a render. It only took me three tries, primarily due to a highly intelligent 3.5-year-old (106.68 cm tall, weighing in at 19.05 kg, able to lift 13.6 kg) repeatedly running in to yank on my arm at just the wrong moment.

Here is the result with a mock-up of the basic android model for the cover, rotated somewhat if not expertly. A basic version of the same model has been uploaded to User Contributed Assets.
SwanAndroidTest2x.png

Hopefully her assets will warrant a second look on the cover of a sci-fi novel.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:22 am

Second try is hopefully a bit better.
SwanAndroidTest3x.png

If only the 1-year-old hadn't figured out how to climb a barricade and bitten a chunk out of my leg while I was working on setting this up.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby loki1950 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:57 am

Not bad re:the ankle biters any distractions about that they might focus on instead of you ;) of course they would need to be little people friendly otherwise there are spouse problems :roll:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:03 pm

I stay home to take care of my little demon princesses due in part to the fact they develop quickly, i.e.: both walking before eight months. Another example would be the 1-year-old has figured out pushing something she can climb onto over to something she can scale to get to something well beyond reach. The older one was studying forensics and psychology at age one, now it's Spanish, I think Romanian, and possibly Farsi since she's already taught herself how to read. Since they're both going to grow up to be in the 183 cm height range, and both highly intelligent I'll be home-schooling. Good thing I'm registered to teach in this state though the Wife will have to teach them higher math (she used to write her own algorithms from scratch).

For now other people's children either wouldn't be completely safe around their graces (due to their current sizes and strength in comparison) or other people's children would be cruel as kids can be towards those who are noticeably different in an unintended but intimidating manner. Since I understand enough about the childhood basis for certain psychopathies / sociopathies, I'll guide them as long as I can keep up. We hold ourselves accountable and responsible for their graces' behavior later in life.

As well, the mountain lions, raccoons, foxes, coyotes, wild hogs, feral cats, and rattlesnakes that live around our house avoid my girls like the plague. Aren't I lucky? Try editing or formatting a book for print while in bedlam :D

loki1950 wrote:Not bad re:the ankle biters any distractions about that they might focus on instead of you ;) of course they would need to be little people friendly otherwise there are spouse problems :roll:

Enjoy the Choice :)
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby joepal » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:10 pm

I keep meaning to release a pink-themed "MakePrincess" edition of MakeHuman. That might distract some kids, at least my niece would love it.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:23 pm

joepal wrote:I keep meaning to release a pink-themed "MakePrincess" edition of MakeHuman. That might distract some kids, at least my niece would love it.

I think a lot of people (not just girls) would like that. If you stock it with chain/scale-mail hopefully it will be available for regular MH.

Some princesses (like mine) are more the warrior type than the ball gown type.

Come to think of it, I need to procure some appropriate steel or bronze sheet metal to craft my girls proper scale gear when they've reached their full height. Swords I have enough of.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Next

Return to Gallery