Cover Project

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: Cover Project

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:22 pm

As a one-person publisher I have to perform a lot of divergent functions. One piece of advice from an award winning artist / author was to avoid getting a cover on the site linked below. If you take a look, you'll see why.
http://lousybookcovers.com/?paged=7

I also realize with all the duties I have to juggle on a given day, I'll likely never be able to create a model from the following illustration of a prototherian (egg-laying mammalian) character from the novel I just released.

cameron lentifa2.jpg

But I can take my basic android to do a lead android character from the last book in a series I'm working. If you looked at the link from "Lousy Book Covers" perhaps it makes more sense why I strive to do my best at creating a cover element. If my one week of experience is a guide, I don't need to quit my day job.

SwanDesireeTest2a.png
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby punkduck » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:31 pm

Okay, Antiqua_Sphinge, the short body-suit is ready to go (and uploaded to the assets) ...

Due my lack of fantasy, here is my idea, how it might look 30 seconds after a female android is finished. This picture will be made in the future.

Today, I guess, it looks different. You must permanently adjust some joints, one of these hundreds of servos will have always problems and there will be a big supply cable in her back (or a big battery will make her weight 200 kilograms). And there is a plate: "do not put her into the bathtub" somewhere. Which will make her absolutely useless if you need a person doing the washing up. Which reminds me, that in Germany you always also need a clearly visible panic switch for technical devices :lol:

These might be the reasons, why I prefer non-androids in normal life (and I'm not talking about the washing-up :?)

evi_ready_to_go.jpg

But I hope the suit will help you to create what you need.
punkduck

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:40 pm

A beautiful image, and currently far beyond my skill / comprehension level. Evi rocks the suit.

Power supply isn't such an issue in the universe the Swan Androids exist in. The battery technology is a bit more advanced there, as is the technology for utilizing carbon / silicon shell / nanotubes. As well, there is a port where these androids can plug in a data cable that has a USB or USB2 connector on the other end. The good thing about creating a fictional universe is being able to rewrite some of what has been discovered.
SwanAndroidTest7a.png

The suit fits the final character Desiree as well. So much for infiltration / assassin units.
SwanDesireeTest7a.png

Ah, for the panic button, just a phone call away. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_LPJllaogU

For now I'll likely have four or five variants of the Swan android standing in front of a wall. And yes, the suit is perfect. Thank you.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:16 pm

The final front cover (sans title and etceteras since I'm not trying to sell something unfinished) looks like this.

AndroidalCoverTestX3.jpg

Once I get through loading MH, Blender, Addons, and the cinemegraphic color management to my backup antique, I can go back to learning how to do some basic graphic work.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby joepal » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:23 am

That looks nice.

A random idea: How about having the droid skin colors range from light to dark? Such as having the left-most droid white skinned and the right-most droid brown/dark skinned, with gradually darkening hues in between?

Here's how I fake a darker skin tone from caucasian skin without having to edit the actual texture:

darken1.png

Or the same, but with also adding in an asian skin tint:

darken2.png

This is a quick and dirty approach which works in scenarios where photo-realism isn't the goal.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Previous

Return to Gallery