Backgrounds

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Backgrounds

Postby blindsaypatten » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:59 am

I watched a Blender Guru tutorial today that said that if you don't include backgrounds people will ignore your work, so I had a go at using a background image:
HaemieupseongHD.jpg
Evening in Haemieupseong

I guess if I'm going to render in HD I need to up my skin texture game.
blindsaypatten

Re: Backgrounds

Postby loki1950 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:40 am

For backgrounds you might want to look in to HDR images and an other technique is image based lighting in that the lighting for your model comes from the background image most HDR images are 360 degree surrounds blender does a nice job of rendering with them.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

---

Postby DredNicolson » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:30 pm

We tend to have fewer pretensions than the folks at BlenderGuru and BlenderArtists. ;)

And we're small enough that pretty much everybody's work gets noticed.
DredNicolson

Postby blindsaypatten » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:32 pm

loki1950 wrote:For backgrounds you might want to look in to HDR images and an other technique is image based lighting in that the lighting for your model comes from the background image most HDR images are 360 degree surrounds blender does a nice job of rendering with them.

I've used a few HDR 360 degree images with mixed results. It really does allow you to get good lighting with no effort or knowledge required, but I found that the scenes that I liked were pixelated when rendered. I only tried with free HDRs, perhaps I should look again and see what is available at reasonable cost.
In Tokyo:
AsianPunkTokyoCL.png

AsianPunkTokyoHD.jpg

And Brooklyn:
Brooklyn3c.png

Brooklyn6.png

BrooklynSilverSurfer.png
blindsaypatten

Postby jujube » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:48 pm

Nice work!!

You can try blurring the background/using depth of field, since in a real photo (esp for a closeup) the background won't be crystal clear anyway, due to real life camera/eye focus.

(I haven't tried using depth of field yet, myself, though. But I want to. I'm basically telling you to try doing the things I want to and be my guinea pig. But a quick and easy way to fake depth of focus should be to render the human on a transparent background, and then paste it onto a blurred background image. )

And if you're looking to pay for high res HDRIs, I know of this site: https://hdrihaven.com/hdris.php They have the low res versions for free, which I've tested, and paid versions which are claimed to be a very high resolution.

Also, the reflections on your shiny metal man look kinda wonky... if you render with a subdivide modifier turned on, it should look smoother and better suited for HDRI.
jujube

Return to Gallery