A generic Asian character (plus costume suggestions)

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

A generic Asian character (plus costume suggestions)

Postby blindsaypatten » Thu May 25, 2017 2:29 am

I finally managed to create a sort of generic Asian character that I can use as a starting point for Asian characters:
AsianCheeks3CompositeSmaller.png
I really should have posed those guys together.

It's very nice to be able to pillage the community asset repository. Once I realized I could use the material nodes to change hair color to black I was quite happy, I've been looking at shaved heads for too long. I don't know who made the Short02 or Ponytail01 hair, but thank you! Thank you also to the author of the Men's elegant suit. And thank you Mindfront for the eyebrows.

Also thank you to the author of the community asset downloader plugin (Joel?), I find the thumbnail gallery on the website is the best way to browse, but it is very nice to be able to download all the files for an asset to the correct place with just a few clicks. While I'm at it, thanks to all the helpful people on the boards here.

After adding the ponytail hair, I had a sudden longing for a Hanfu outfit. If one of you designers is ever looking for inspiration or something a little different, there's a huge variety varying from relatively simple to wildly elaborate:
And those are just cosplay costumes!

And of course if you want shiny colorful clothing with neato hats, there's always the Koreans...
blindsaypatten

Re: A generic Asian character (plus costume suggestions)

Postby jujube » Fri May 26, 2017 10:39 pm

Very nice! What targets did you use?

(that sounds like generic small talk but I really do like it. I want your new asian target. )
jujube

Postby blindsaypatten » Sun May 28, 2017 2:10 am

jujube wrote:Very nice! What targets did you use?

(that sounds like generic small talk but I really do like it. I want your new asian target. )

Thanks!

If I haven't messed up, the attached zip file contains the MH save file and the custom targets I used. I also used your eye crease target. I haven't got back to producing a satisfactory Asian eye target so I just used the built-in targets and the expression editor.

The asian-jaw-cheeks1 target is the one that addresses my jawline roadblock, I created it using sculpt mode in blender. NOTE that you have to apply it after setting gender to male and race to Caucasian.

The lift-brow-region is pretty much essential for creating Asian characters. That, and some eye configuration are a good start in giving an Asian appearance to a character created using the Caucasian race slider.

I'll find out over the next while how easy it is to produce specific variations and what further targets I need to do so.

I did the recoloring of the hair in Blender using nodes, I'm not sure if there is a useful way to make those available.
Attachments
GenericAsian1.zip
.mhm and custom targets for a generic Asian character
(35.97 KiB) Downloaded 520 times
blindsaypatten

Postby jujube » Sun May 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Just a touch of your chin target looks quite nice actually, even on non-Caucasian-male characters. Thanks for uploading it.

Quick and easy way to change hair to black is to change the diffuse color in the material editor. Slightly more involved way (but still easy) is to open texture in the photo editor of your choice and convert to grayscale, then possibly edit brightness/contrast to your liking. Most complicated method, for if you really love your specific result in blender, is to bake the diffuse color to a new image.

(I still like your old config_eye target btw, I feel it often looks better than the current eyelid.)
Attachments
black_hair.png
lowering diffuse color works better on some hairs than others
jujube

Postby blindsaypatten » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:26 pm

I finally got around to creating a couple additional targets for manipulating the jawline. My base jawline target produces a narrow chin and a broad jaw in the back, so I created a target to widen the chin, and one to narrow the rear jawline.
In this animation it applies the base jaw and cheek target, then the broaden chin target, then the narrow jawline target, and then dials the latter two back to .25 to produce a pleasing moderate result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjLdS2s ... e=youtu.be

Here's a render with just the base target:
JawlinePortrait.png

Here's one with a wider chin and narrower rear jaw:
GenericAsian2a1.png

The widen chin target is a little different than the builtin chin width target in that it affects the entire length of the jaw from chin to the corner under the ear, maintaining a straight line between the chin and rear corner. The rear corner doesn't move, the widening is proportional to the distance forward from the rear. The builtin target only widens the very front of the jaw producing a curve in the jawline when heavily applied:
BuiltinWideChin.png
blindsaypatten

Postby jujube » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:53 pm

NIce work, I'm looking forward to trying it out!
jujube

Return to Gallery