What are you working on?

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: What are you working on?

Postby Aranuvir » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:27 pm

Based on the fact the skin is procedural your results are awesome. About the waist of memory: just wondering if it should be possible to pack the masks a little by storing information of three regions in the r g and b channels in one mask. To unpack use a separate RGB node. Of course it only works for masks, that do not overlap.
Aranuvir

Postby CallHarvey3d » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:39 pm

throne progress.. close enough for now back to characters
Attachments
throne2.jpg
CallHarvey3d

Postby wolgade » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Aranuvir wrote:Based on the fact the skin is procedural your results are awesome.

This is not entirely my result. Node setup is very much inspired by http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/67519. This lady is procedural.
just wondering if it should be possible to pack the masks a little by storing information of three regions in the r g and b channels in one mask.

Of course, but that's not the issue. PNG does well when it comes to lossless compression. Even if it wouldn't, space on harddisk is not the bottleneck. Available RAM probably is when using GPU rendering.
Of course it only works for masks, that do not overlap.

Why? RGB images store three independent BW images in one file. The R channel is in no way influenced by an overlapping B channel. You shouldn't try to save such an image as JPEG, of course. But as already stated: It's not the issue. However these maps are stored, they need to be unpacked into RAM.
wolgade

Postby Aranuvir » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:34 pm

Well my idea was, instead of having three different 2k black-white masks for lips, eyes, anything else, you can put them on one 2k mask as black-red, black-green and black-blue. Though, I'm not really sure what your masks look like, but I guess we are talking about something like this: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/conte ... _eyes.html. I haven't tried this and can't tell if it reduces RAM usage.
Aranuvir

Postby wolgade » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:47 pm

Aranuvir wrote:you can put them on one 2k mask as black-red, black-green and black-blue.

Sure. And they could overlap and would still work. And need the same amount of ram as three BW images.
wolgade

Postby CallHarvey3d » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:51 pm

trying ignore fan art, concepts and movie art and stay true to the cartoon while at the same time overcoming some of the impossibilities of the character. its trickier than i thought but in the end will be worth the effort. i think ill go back on my choice to use stone bricks in favor of solid stone like a cave
Attachments
throne3.jpg
spot.png
CallHarvey3d

Postby CallHarvey3d » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:03 pm

quick composite
Attachments
comp1.png
CallHarvey3d

---

Postby DredNicolson » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:34 pm

Looking well so far, though the character's proportions look off to me. Like a kid version of himself. I'd widen the shoulders and shrink the head a bit.
DredNicolson

Postby CallHarvey3d » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:05 pm

thanks! this is a bit of a character design lesson ive challenged myself with. my goal is to bring these characters into reality, without losing what makes them work. Basically trying to pop them from a 2d cartoon into a 3d reality. so i'm attempting to maybe bring some reality to they're universe more than bring them into ours. for example batman doesn't work so well outside of gotham city, he starts to seem silly. i want to keep them in eternia, fix the physical imposibilities and grow them up a bit but have it still feel natural, and that's why skeletor's head is big, it's actually a mask. but your comment is correct it throws off proportions a bit. I'll see what i can do. maybe make it more form fitting and bring some of the visual weight down lower, maybe exaggerate his hand size
CallHarvey3d

---

Postby DredNicolson » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:20 pm

I see. Now I'm curious how you'll do Orko. :mrgreen:
DredNicolson

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery