User Contributed Assets: Ballet (OpenSim)

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

User Contributed Assets: Ballet (OpenSim)

Postby Déesse » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Test for a scene in a new machinima, telling the story of the little tin soldier and the ballerina (H.C. Andersen). With user contributed assets by mindfront and punkduck.
Not perfect, I had to replace the tutu, but... (hope you like it :)

https://youtu.be/yXbq9wUPHlE

ballet1.jpg

ballet2.jpg

ballet3.jpg
Déesse

Re: User Contributed Assets: Ballet (OpenSim)

Postby Mindfront » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:17 pm

I liked the video alot. It was fun to see the clothes in motion, although with a different skirt ;) . The skirt and other parts was made to be removable thats why I did texturing on the parts that normally not visible. Do you plan to make the whole tin soldier story as an animated video?
Mindfront

Postby wolgade » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:01 am

I'm sure I commented the video a few days back. Probably I hit preview instead of submit. :oops:

Great video. How did you do the animation? Mocap?
wolgade

Postby Déesse » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:53 pm

Yes, it will be an animated video. But I'm not sure if I will ever finish it :? One year ago I stopped working on it because I was not happy that it was not possible to animate face and hands. It's possible now, but it took me some time to learn. The story is a modern version: The tin soldier is replaced by a toy-robot. A mother buys some presents in a toy shop for her bad son, and she buys the musicbox with the ballerina too. The robot who is in love with the ballerina jumps into the card too. At home the bad boy is playing around with the toys and finally drops the ballerina, who is breaking her neck. The robot follows her ... But I think there will a happy end :)
I got the bvh-files as a freebie inworld.

c2.jpg

c1.jpg

c3.jpg
Déesse

Postby punkduck » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:07 pm

Wow, da bin ich sprachlos!!!

The english term is speechless with excitement considering my reaction ... a very good result and of course I like my assets used in this way. And ballet is an interesting topic especially for posing and the ballerina character looks quite natural.

In reality I'm someone running away from classical art, but slowly I started to like this topic also more and more.

Btw.: Did you have no problems with legs and arms crossing or going into the body with the bvh file? When I tried to animate my models I was rather disappointed and gave up ...

So you should go on with that. And for toys a happy end is the better solution, the world is complicated enough :?
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:56 am

punkduck wrote:And for toys a happy end is the better solution, the world is complicated enough :?

Yes, the second image with the ballerina lying on the floor is a bit heart breaking. On the other hand, this is what it leads to when bad boys get power.

After I saw your appetizer, I'd really love to see the finished project. I'm also still interested in how you did it. The animation looks like a hell of work.
wolgade

Postby Déesse » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:14 pm

The bvh-files are motion-captured and use the Opensim-skeleton (26 bones). You put the bvh into an object with a script, the character "sits" on it, and - yay- she's moving :D
The software: Do you know Second Life? Open Simulator uses the software of Second Life, but it's free and you can use it standalone/offline. But it is even possible to connect to the "hypergrid" to teleport to places where you can get content you need. E.g. these bvh-files. Open Simulator is a kind of toolkit. You can build with "primitives" (boxes, sphere, torus), You can upload textures and animations. And meshes you created in blender. And it's really fun to see your work come to life :)
Déesse

Postby wolgade » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:36 pm

Déesse wrote:The bvh-files are motion-captured

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. If you told me that you did it by manually adding keyframes I would have called you god of animation.
But it is even possible to connect to the "hypergrid" to teleport to places where you can get content you need. E.g. these bvh-files.

Great to know. The only freely available bvh-files I was aware of are those from Carnegie-Mellon University (CMU).
wolgade

Postby RobBaer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:35 pm

wolgade wrote:
Déesse wrote:The bvh-files are motion-captured

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. If you told me that you did it by manually adding keyframes I would have called you god of animation.
But it is even possible to connect to the "hypergrid" to teleport to places where you can get content you need. E.g. these bvh-files.

Great to know. The only freely available bvh-files I was aware of are those from Carnegie-Mellon University (CMU).

Another free .bvh source that works well with MakeWalk is the female set at https://accad.osu.edu/research/mocap/mocap_data.htm . Unfortunately, the male set(s) don;t work because of rig differences. Of course, if you designed with your own ...
RobBaer

Postby badwolf » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:41 pm

des do you either have a source for poses covering the first through fifth ballet positions or know enough to break them down to joint data??

(for that matter any ballet poses you can get numbers for would be good)
badwolf

Next

Return to Gallery