portraits

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: portraits

Postby Marco_105 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:14 pm

Very good and realistic rendering !

Did you use Zbrush for skin bump ?

The hair part is perfect looking, for eyes they got a metallic aspect, maybe Cycles setting, in BI it's quite simple to do.
Marco_105

Postby beli » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:49 am

He, I have found once more some time for a new image.
I'm not completely happy with the result, but I don't know the problem.
Please tell me your opinion and suggestion to improve the image
Attachments
2.png
beli

Postby joepal » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:23 pm

I'd say the two most visible problems are that the skin is too smooth/waxy, and that the eye whites look gray.

For the eyes, you could try assigning a separate transparent material to the outer layer of the eyeballs, in order to better control the glass effect. For the inner layer, you might have to use an "add" shader to increase the brightness if it's still too dark.

The skin could benefit from some roughness. Maybe a hint of a voronoi bump? There was another thread around recently with a nodes setup for skin.

Otherwise, I'd say the composition looks pretty good.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby blindsaypatten » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:53 pm

I agree with Joel that the gray eye-whites stick out. It would be interesting to see your node setup for the eyes, I can't replicate such grayness. Personally I find that that particular eye color/material looks too much like it is its emitting its own light. That seems to be popular in CG but I personally prefer realism and think that light in the eyes should come from external light sources.

The second thing that sticks out for me is the lighting, the reflection of the neck is extreme and on both sides but I don't see the corresponding reflection of that lighting on the hair, particularly the lighting that is shining the right side of her neck isn't reflected in the hair. It's a matter of artistic preference but I would tone down the back lighting as it draws attention away from the face.

There are a couple places where the hair replication doesn't seem right, on the far lower left and above the eye on the right there are a lot of dispersed hairs that all have the exact same shape but spread out in a thin line. Some of the hair on the left seems to be penetrating the cheek, I think real hair that was resting against the cheek would bend to a smaller angle to the cheek when it contacted it.

You might want to try adding a light in front that would be reflected in the eyes, and perhaps lighten up the whites of the eyes.

The difference in distance from the center line to the inside of the eyebrows is a little too asymetric for my taste.

These all amount to quibbles, it's very well done.
blindsaypatten

Postby jujube » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:20 pm

It could also be that the reflections on the eyes are flat and simple, compared to the curved reflection on an actual eye. I'm pretty sure that using an HDRI would help (as long as you had the right material at least, which I'm not as sure how to do. )

Your portrait is very, very cute though!! I see that you used my hat! :D

(Hmm, it might also help to make a bump/normal map for the sweater, to match the normal map on the hat. The flatness is really only noticeable on the edges, though. )
jujube

Postby joepal » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:30 pm

I wrote a quick FAQ piece on how to make the eyes glitter: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... in_blender
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby beli » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks for the solutions.
I get blind for mistakes when I work long on an image.

The tread for the skin is very useful.
I have solved the problem withe the gray eyes by making the texture whiter, this works and is simple.
The problem by the reflection was that I use a much to tall area light for the back light, so I can change it easy for the next image.
beli

Postby beli » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Here is a new image, i tried to consider all suggestions.
Attachments
2.png
beli

Postby joepal » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Looks nice. Can't think of much to add.

Possibly adding narrow/point light sources frontish of the toon. They don't need to contribute much light, but if you can cause glossy highlights in the glasses and the eyes then that might help giving a sense of depth. Alternatively a HDRI sphere could be helpful for reflections / highlights.

Possibly also increase the alpha of the hair strands towards their tips. I think you already use a color ramp to make the hair strands more transparent towards their ends?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby beli » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:21 am

Now I testing to sculpt some details of the skin. It run only very choppy, because my computer can not handle such a high amount of vertex.
I hope you like it.
Attachments
3.png
beli

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery