portraits

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

portraits

Postby beli » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi,
here are two pictures, which I created in the last time.
The hair is made in Blender, I used the Cycles Render engine.
I hop you enjoy it, I would appreciate about feedback.
Attachments
2.png
1.png
beli

Re: portraits

Postby wolgade » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:29 pm

Generally nice. I noticed two things:

1. The eyes in the first image look a bit strange. Eyeballs are wet and very glossy. I'd decrease the roughness of the glossy shader.
2. Your hair strands are way too thick. That's a pity, because the hair style is nicely done.
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:20 pm

beli wrote:Hi,
here are two pictures, which I created in the last time.
The hair is made in Blender, I used the Cycles Render engine.
I hop you enjoy it, I would appreciate about feedback.

Hi

First: welcome to the forum, because it is your first post!

Feedback: We all made too many girls so we need some male characters in this forum 8-) .

In my opinion this is a good start. I like the pictures.

Wolgade complained about the eyes. Well for the eyes, there is a simple solution, you can change it like I've done it in this thread:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13816

And you should add some eyelashes ... if you do that, I guess the characters will look perfect.
punkduck

Postby jujube » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:16 am

Welcome to the forum!! Good to have you, we really do need to equalize the gender balance here.

The hair thickness works well on the second render IMO. If you make the hair way more realistic than the model, or make the hair very realistic in some aspects but not others, I think it can contribute to an uncanny valley effect.
Since the hairs aren't very shiny, to me it feels like just the right level of stylized. (where thick hairs that are super shiny look like metal wires)

The only other thing the eyes might need is the pink color in the corner of the eye, but that's a general makehuman problem, the official makehuman textures need updating for close up shots like this.
jujube

Postby wolgade » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:00 am

punkduck wrote:Wolgade complained about the eyes.

I really hope it didn't sound as a complaint. It was meant to be a constructive hint for improvement.
wolgade

Postby beli » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback,
the link to the eyes is very helpful.
I agree with the problem of the hair thickness, I've found the option for this after it was ready with rendering

I will use your tips for the next pictures.
beli

Postby beli » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:50 pm

HI, I made a new Portrait
I had try to change the problems of the previous images, but I have still problems with the eyes.
Attachments
4.png
beli

Postby wolgade » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:00 am

This one's well done in many ways:
  1. Good background. Doesn't distract but emphasizes the face.
  2. Convincing hair. Right size and amount.
  3. Good light. Especially important when you have a blue shirt in front of a blue background.
  4. Well modelled shirt.
wolgade

Postby CallHarvey3d » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:13 pm

not sure how you have the eye shader set up but there are two layers to the eyes one is the color and one is mostly transparent that should just add a glassy wet look to the surface. two things to check is your top layer transparency is set correctly, and that your top layer is not casting shadows on the bottom layer. i often just delete the top layer all together. some tricks with eyes that may or may not work in your situation is to light them separately, or to add some self illumination to make them pop, but be careful too much and they will look flat and cartoony.
Attachments
eye.jpg
CallHarvey3d

Postby punkduck » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:00 pm

beli wrote:HI, I made a new Portrait
I had try to change the problems of the previous images, but I have still problems with the eyes.

A very natural appearance of the character!!!

Around the eyes (eye-socket & nose area) shadow is appearing. So also the eyes normally seem darker. What is happening when the character looks into a light source or a light is placed in front of the character?

dvnobles was successful using "my" method. Of course you can also achieve weird things when the eyes are reflecting the surroundings. In my case I sometimes had problems putting the light source above the character and then wondering, that the hair was shadowing the eyes and so the girls look like tired zombies ... but your character has short hair, so this should not happen in your case :?:

To use a little self emission is possible ... but destroys the 3d effect, so CallHarvey3d is correct.
punkduck

Next

Return to Gallery