Casting

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: Casting

Postby stereoman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:56 am

As one idea leads to another, I´ve been exploring the moai head design.
It seems to me that these statues were done to be seen from this angle, so, it shows a true superhuman character, they are so old that is near impossible to know how much they have been eroded, and seen from another viewpoints shapes and proportions look somewhat incorrect, I think thay wanted some kind of anamorphism, and most probably the rear part was not visible to worshippers or whatever.
Gothic sculptures often show strange and winding poses for horses, lions, humans, etc. the aim was to show the full action from any viewpoint, and, usually, from a lower viewpoint, so, artists had to think about how to design a figure wich looks correct in these conditions.
Also, we know the columns of the Parthenon and other antique buildings were designed to equal the visual distortion introduced by its size to the human eye.
So, ancient artists were masters of geometry, and the geometry of this head is a masterpiece and probably the portrait of a true human ancestor.
Attachments
moai3.jpg
stereoman

Postby punkduck » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:35 pm

By the way, if there´s anyone interested, this is the link to the main character site, where you can take a look to the first episode as well as to the three previous short stories, http://www.sargodeatargatis.es

Is that really your web-page? If so, it seems quite multi-talented. I wish, I'm able to understand the spanish language. Well a few words I understood, because I learned French long ago and there are similarities here and there. So I've to concentrate on the graphics and I thing the quality is really great.

And it looks, that there is a scene in Spain which I only knew from the U.S., the U.K. or maybe in my country from Berlin ... ;)
punkduck

Postby stereoman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:03 pm

punkduck wrote:
By the way, if there´s anyone interested, this is the link to the main character site, where you can take a look to the first episode as well as to the three previous short stories, http://www.sargodeatargatis.es

Is that really your web-page? If so, it seems quite multi-talented. I wish, I'm able to understand the spanish language. Well a few words I understood, because I learned French long ago and there are similarities here and there. So I've to concentrate on the graphics and I thing the quality is really great.

And it looks, that there is a scene in Spain which I only knew from the U.S., the U.K. or maybe in my country from Berlin ... ;)

Hi Punkduck, Ok, it´s my site, well, Sargo´s site, the multi-talented thing is the result of working alone and it looks like a bunch of work for me, believe me. :D
Hope you have had a good time with my stuff, I must take a look because I think there is a translation thing somewhere.
Back to the casting, obviously, she´s a queen.
Another MH body with a sculpted head, I recall this head was done around the idea of the elongated skulls found around the world, this was common practice among some people, but the aim of doing so still remains unknow.
Attachments
reina4.jpg
Last edited by stereoman on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stereoman

Postby stereoman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:14 pm

I've found the translator in my site, for those interested.
clic over the text with the Right Mouse Button, in the dialog, clic translate this page, choose your language.
translation is not perfect, of course, but good enough.
This character seems full of life in a great day, even if only the gods know what is a good day for such a character.
MH body with a sculpted head, often, the final model is a bunch of separate parts, linked to the same armature, as can be seen here, this allows for more changes and a very light model.
I don´t like too much photographic textures, I like bump maps much more, but sometimes a texture can do the work.
Attachments
principe.jpg
Last edited by stereoman on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stereoman

Postby stereoman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:01 am

And a Happy New Year to everybody !!
Just an MH body with an octopus mesh from my files, the motion of tentacles is procedural, and can be animated if necessary, this is helpful to find poses.
Attachments
pulpo.jpg
Last edited by stereoman on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stereoman

Postby stereoman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:58 am

I like this character because it is so simple .
Just an MH body,I wanted to do a priest, so I selected and scaled a single loop to model the head and found it was all.
Anyway,the best part is always to give the character this feeling that everything is as has to be and nothing needs to be changed, this happens by itself when you see the character in your mind before starting to draw.
Attachments
jibio.jpg
Last edited by stereoman on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stereoman

Postby stereoman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:40 am

A lovely dancer.
Pure MH model, the default hair is good enough since the model is intended to be seen in group and at the background, notice the golden parts are just material applied to some polygons of the mesh, no added parts,I did it this way for ease of motion since dancers move a lot.
Notice the leg has some deformation, but is easiest to correct the image than the mesh, it will take less time to do so if neccesary.
Attachments
bailarina.jpg
Last edited by stereoman on Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stereoman

Postby stereoman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:09 am

This one wears a true crocodile skin clothes, at their home town you must kill the crocodile by hand each time you need a new outfit, fashion this year is a bit shorter skirt.
Mh body with sculpted head, the clothes are mainly a joke, but the character will be good enough once at place.
Attachments
ballenato-5.jpg
ballenato-4.jpg
Last edited by stereoman on Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stereoman

Postby Marco_105 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Incredible things you did Stereoman, I don't know what the part of MH in it, if could take some time to explain will be nice...

Specilally the Insect man and the Moai are very impressive. Congratulation !

Long way to you !
Marco_105

Postby stereoman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Marco_105 wrote:Incredible things you did Stereoman, I don't know what the part of MH in it, if could take some time to explain will be nice...

Specilally the Insect man and the Moai are very impressive. Congratulation !

Long way to you !

Many thanks, Marco, your words are encouraging, I´m really grateful for the feedback.
I´m always glad to explain what I do to interested people.
Let me outline my workflow to have a better idea.
First of all, I need an image in my mind, after some attempts I have something to work with, this part is usually done with paper and pencil, i never start a model without this, even if there are usually new ideas flowing form the work.
Hope my english be good enough for you to follow me, Im spanish.
Then I start to model, here MH is unvaluable, a treasure, in no time I have a base mesh to work with that fits my character.
Then I model the head, if possible with the same base mesh, if not i do anew polygonal mesh ant then sculpt it.
then I model accesories, clothes, weapons, etc.
The next step I rig the character, and create some base materials.
With the model ready, I use some MoCap files to find a good pose, or I pose it by hand if neccesary.

Hope this gives you some idea of the process, I´m not creating 3D models, but stories, the final image is what counts, I will talk about this abit more in another post.
stereoman

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery