Models I made for an RPG with multiple races for UE4

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Models I made for an RPG with multiple races for UE4

Postby iamisandisnt » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:35 pm

Thank you all so much for your hard work, especially callharvey3d, Hatshj and sonntag78 for your awesome fantasy themed targets, skins, eye materials and other wonderful body modifications.

With no further ado, images!

Full Album:
http://imgur.com/a/fSlwI

A few highlights:

Thanks again and if you guys liked this post, I'll come back in the future with more progress :D

Cheers

- Armando / iamisandisnt
iamisandisnt

Re: Models I made for an RPG with multiple races for UE4

Postby CallHarvey3d » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:28 pm

Sweet! love the diversity. it's cool to see that those assets came in handy keep us posted on your progress
CallHarvey3d

Postby iamisandisnt » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:28 pm

CallHarvey3d wrote:Sweet! love the diversity. it's cool to see that those assets came in handy keep us posted on your progress

Thanks!! I tried long and hard to find your MALE devil horns skin but it looks like it didn't get uploaded correctly? I'm just using the female one for now and it works fine lol :D

Have you started work on any new fantasy projects? I'd love to collaborate with you!

Here's a live stream of all 20 race/gender combos running around with customized Unreal Engine animations... feet firmly planted on the ground and items in hands! I've also done a few *attempts* at modeling/simulating clothes, which you can watch me humorously fluster with in Blender and NVidia APEX Cloth.

https://gaming.youtube.com/user/iamisandisnt/live

Cheers, guy! :D :D :D
iamisandisnt

Postby CallHarvey3d » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:34 pm

Looks great! getting things in-game and working is the hardest part but a lot of times the most satisfying. i never did upload the male version of that skin. at the time there did not seem to be much interest but id be happy do put it up after the holiday break. I've not had much time to play around on personal projects lately even my comic is on back burner for the next couple weeks but when i do get back into it i'd be happy to provide some content for your project. I can't promise a huge effort but if you put together a prioritized list of assets i can let you know what is feasible. Project is looking great, keep at it! Happy Holidays!
CallHarvey3d

Postby iamisandisnt » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:44 pm

CallHarvey3d wrote:Looks great! getting things in-game and working is the hardest part but a lot of times the most satisfying. i never did upload the male version of that skin. at the time there did not seem to be much interest but id be happy do put it up after the holiday break. I've not had much time to play around on personal projects lately even my comic is on back burner for the next couple weeks but when i do get back into it i'd be happy to provide some content for your project. I can't promise a huge effort but if you put together a prioritized list of assets i can let you know what is feasible. Project is looking great, keep at it! Happy Holidays!

Hey thanks!

Yeah I got the same rush of excitement seeing my characters fully in game, that I would get when I write a script, direct the actors, and watch them perform a read-through for the first time. Your imagination, come to life!

Are there any other fantasy/medieval elements you think would be clever or intuitive to use in Make Human? Sometimes I think it's best to approach the puzzle from the finish, you know. For now I have enough to populate my world with some humans and these races, some monster Orcs, Skeletons, and all sorts of fey/vampire/monster/zombie things thanks to your work.

In my game, I can use the same armor models on all the races because I'm using the human default with all variables set a specific uniform way. In Unreal Engine, I scale the character's XYZ to create the short dwarves, the giant Ogres, the skinny Elves, etc.

So really all the variation is in the face.

Lizardfolk have always been my favorite, ever since playing as a S'kra Mur on DragonRealms, a RP-heavy text-based MUD by Simutronics who also made Gemstone III, the MUD on AOL back in the day :D

There have been many types of Lizard Folk faces, from dragon-esque to human with slots for nose, to iguana-esque weird frog thingies. I'm not a big fan of the official DragonRealms style, or any of those really, and I'm not looking to rip that off anyway. I guess Argonians in Skyrim came closest, but they're too ugly, ridgy, bony, spiny, no grace - no serpentine elegance?

Here's some images I just found on Google that remind me of what I always imagined my guy to look like in that game :D

As you see, not so much dragon-like, more gecko, with like, some personality. Smooth features, maybe can become bony at the extreme range somehow? I don't know how these things work :D As you see I already have a "lizard man" in my game so anything at all would be pretty cool, really.

In my game world, the Lizardfolk are on the "Good" or civilized/"alliance" style faction, so nobility and grace "despite" their lizard features... but also... you know... it's also a play on the lizard folk who rule us from the ivory tower ;) hehe so they can keep some of that sinister quality :D
iamisandisnt

Postby iamisandisnt » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:49 pm

Another thing I would like, if maybe lizard faces is too hard, would be simple bat and/or bird style wings. They don't need to flap or anything, I don't want flying in my game. But on a jump, I'll animate them so that they spread out and slow the character's fall. If we can coordinate things properly, using as few bones as possible, we might be able to use APEX CLOTH on the wings to get super realistic leathery bat wings! Also, there are feather/hair textures we can experiment with to make realistic bird wings!

Something that happens when I try to import APEX Cloth that I haven't gotten around yet is that it needs to have no more than FOUR bones influencing any individual vertex. So if you can make each wing out of four bones (might be tough for bat but we could do each "vein" as a bone), then the wing material itself doesn't even need to be there!

So bat wing bones with a cool model/texture for the "bone" part, and I'll fill in the wings later!

Bird wings would be a whole other process, I think ;)
iamisandisnt

Postby CallHarvey3d » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:43 pm

those would be cool, both the lizard face and the bat wings. i've been bogged down with projects that just wont die but if i get time ill try some of these out. not long ago i was playing with non human topologies that had wings and tails and big ears, stuff like that. it worked pretty well but in extremes those appendages would stretch funny. for my purposes it was fine i can quickly fix that after exporting my character. i might try that again with lizard tail
CallHarvey3d

Postby CallHarvey3d » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:56 pm

getting back into target making. working toward a good lizard head i made this as a test its not great but takes expressions much better than expected
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/targe ... boon1.html
Attachments
Baboon.jpg
CallHarvey3d

Postby iamisandisnt » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:55 pm

CallHarvey3d wrote:getting back into target making. working toward a good lizard head i made this as a test its not great but takes expressions much better than expected
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/targe ... boon1.html

That is so awesome and original!!! I can totally add a baboon species to the game with this :D

Keep 'em coming, buddy! I don't think I want to mess with tails or wings so much because of armor and animations, like you said.

The lizard face I have is OK actually, it's more like an Anunaki lizard-person ;)

What about variations on the Orc skin/face mod? Like could you do variations for kobolds, hobgoblins, etc etc? With that baboon face you're not too far from getting a gnoll (hyena-esque features). The more old school and/or historic/mythological the reference, the better!

For example... here are my actual player races right now:

Human (Goth/Moore) [light/dark skin color]
High Elf (Sun/Moon) [elf ears]
Dwarf (Hill/Mountain) [short human :D]
Avian (Grecian/Romani) influences from ancient greek mythology (like that scene in King's Quest 6) [semi-vulcan features with elf ears]
Lizardfolk (Lizard Man/K'sar Mun [green/black orc skin with lizard eyes and elf ears])

Dark Elf (Svar/Myr [black/grey]) based on nordic mythology [elf ears]
Satyr/Minotaur [lighter/darker skin with semi-vulcan features and devil horns]
Ogre (Fomorian/Oni) [orc skin or devil skin for that Asian demon look]
Wild Elf (Sea/Wood) [elf ears]
Batling (Desmodus/Vesper) [red/black devil skin]

You can see them all in some of my recent videos:

www.youtube.com/iamisandisnt

Keep it up, buddy! :)
iamisandisnt

Return to Gallery