Real Magic (Music Video)

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Real Magic (Music Video)

Postby Atom » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:56 pm

Hi All,

I have finally completed a personal project and would like to share it with you.

A short music video for the song "Real Magic" from the musical album Tongue Like A Cat.

https://vimeo.com/195127982

Particle and smoke work was created in Houdini. Clothing work was created in Marvelous Designer and exported as an .OBJ sequence which I converted to .BGEO.SC inside of Houdini. The entire video was rendered using the Redshift GPU accelerated render engine via the Houdini plug-in.

The characters themselves were created using the MakeHuman software. Each character was exported in the FBX format using the Advanced Motion Builder skeleton with facial bones. The lip synch and facial motion was controlled by a custom Python script that evaluated Payagayo phoneme timing data every frame.

Blender was used as a conversion tool to prepare models for Houdini. All background geometries and the foreground owl were taken from creative commons zero sources.

You can watch the video tutorial on how I made the bouncing mushroom at this video link.
vimeo.com/185092732
Attachments
real_magic_jimi_closeup.jpg
real_magic-1.jpg
Atom

Re: Real Magic (Music Video)

Postby CallHarvey3d » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:42 pm

wow! really cool. how did you get your hands on Houdini? id love to play with that. How long did all this take to render?
CallHarvey3d

Postby Atom » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:22 pm

Thanks, you can get Houdini at sidefx.com.

The Apprentice version is free and has all the features of the final product, it just renders watermark. Also the Indie version is only $200.00 per-year which makes it very affordable. I highly recommend pulling down Apprentice and trying out some of the visual effects presets.

I used the 3rd party Redshift GPU render engine for the final output. The 1280x720 render of 1,728 frames took 54 hours on my 8 core 4.4Ghz AMD with a nVidia GTX1070 as the main GPU.
Atom

Postby Joshea » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:03 am

That's impressive, way to go!
Joshea

Return to Gallery