Viola tricolor hortensis ... a co-production

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Viola tricolor hortensis ... a co-production

Postby punkduck » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi

I was always sure that Mindfront's summerdress is a good basis for something really beautiful ... so in the first position thanx to Mindfront :)

Back from vacation I got a lot of new information about seasonal colors or skin tone color matching. Here is an article about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_analysis_(art)

So a friend pointed to a picture at the wall and said "this is an example for pattern of clothes for a Spring type ... ". It was a small picture in oil (an original so no copyright problems :) ) and belongs to my parents. The picture contains a bunch of pansies (scientific classification: viola tricolor hortensis ;) ). So I took a photo and was absolutely sure that I had a texture for Mindfront's summerdress f_dress02. Of course I had to do a lot of modifications using GIMP in between, so that the pattern can be put on the dress. And I tried to leave out the direct breast region not to get monster pansies :lol:

So here is my model Leska wearing the dress:

leska_summerdress.jpg

In the meantime I made a few modifications to Mindfront's dress to solidify it. I simply extrude some edge loops, see next picture. I was happy that Mindfront left some space in the UV-map, so that I can reuse his normal map and my new texture also fits to the original dress.

solidify_me.png

I will upload this alternative texture of course as a new material. Btw.: I reduced the size to 2048 x 2048 and recreated all stitchings, because they disappear when you shrink the original texture. I also added new ones, where the UV seams are. You might create a scaled copy of the normal map in this case, but it also works with the original file ;)

I hope you like her ...
punkduck

Re: Viola tricolor hortensis ... a co-production

Postby MTKnife » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:01 pm

I actually like when I can to use the Solidify modifier in Blender. It does require modifying the texture, but mirror-imaging will get you most of the way there, and then you don't have an article of loose clothing that turns invisible when you look from an angle that displays an inner face.
MTKnife

Postby punkduck » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:12 pm

MTKnife wrote:I actually like when I can to use the Solidify modifier in Blender. It does require modifying the texture, but mirror-imaging will get you most of the way there, and then you don't have an article of loose clothing that turns invisible when you look from an angle that displays an inner face.

Hmm, yupp. But you double the number of vertices.

Well I will not but I have to add this picture to show that my method works very well without duplicating everything ... :oops: I put a lamp under the model ... y'know when I do that in reality have a guess what will happen ... :?

donottrythisathome.jpg

Normally the inside and outside has the same texture without doing anything, as far as I know. Only if you use a normal map, you get into problems. Then you may do it like Mindfront is doing it (by faking the normal-map entry in backface mode) OR you simply switch the normal mode off inside the clothes. Therefore you have to double the diffuse and glossy shader combination. One combination is connected to the normal map, the other is not connected. The mixshader selects the group by determining if it is the backface or not. When I use Mindfronts method the inside is still very dark even with the lamp I added. So, here is my setup:

howtoavoidthenormalmap.png
punkduck

---

Postby DredNicolson » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:33 am

You can make the interior faces appear in MakeHuman by adding
Code: Select all
backfaceCull False
to the .mhmat file.

I think there's an easier way to accomplish punk's method: add a Solidify mod, check on Rim Only, set Thickness, copy the modifier, then apply them both. :D (Do this before you unwrap UVs and start texturing.)
DredNicolson

Postby punkduck » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:08 pm

For the alternative texture the backface culling is switched off in my .mhmat file. As far as I know I always switch this off and in my opinion in MH 'false' is the better predefined value than 'true' ...

Normally, I create rims for most of my clothings, sometimes I also create an inside and outside or real 3d components like buttons or ties. Of course I first create these things and then do my unwrap. Sometimes I unwrap parts in between e.g. when I create buttons where the same part of the texture might be used a few times etc.

But in the case of f_dress_02 I want the material to fit to the dress Mindfront has done and also to my modified version. When you do that with fixed points in the UV-Map, the new extruded vertices will be put to the same location ... so it took me some time to move them to the right location and get the desired result ...
punkduck

Postby Mindfront » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi punkduck!

I must say I really like your work and this pattern is awesome. This was exactly what I hoped would happen when I made my clothes. The clothes take so long to do that I could not cope to do more advanced texturing but I have tried to do the basics so adaptable as possible.
Mindfront

Return to Gallery