Coffe Break

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Coffe Break

Postby Mindfront » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:36 pm

I did a quick scene yesterday, inspired by punkduck and Milkman. Thought demonstrate the potential of MakeHuman, mhx2 (thank you diffeomorphic (Thomas Larsson)) and Blender.

Mindfront_-_Coffe_Break_01.png

Mindfront_-_Coffe_Break_02.png

Mindfront_-_Coffe_Break_03.png

Mindfront_-_Coffe_Break_04.png

These figures is made just for this test scene, I put on their clothes in the MakeHuman, imported them into Blender with mhx2. In Blender I did some fine tuning of the trunks and then I started to pose the figures. The woman is dressed in punkduck's "Bandeau bra" and "String 4" and the man is wearing my "M Swimming trunks 02". Both have my eyelashes "Eyelashes 01" and the woman has my eyebrows "Eyebrows 01".

I call the scene "Coffe Break" for that is what I needed a lot of when working.

The man topologies is "Male muscle 13290" which unfortunately have some problems with the UV, and some deformations looks weird, and I should have fixed some on his wrists, which appear to be slightly too narrow. The woman has the standard topology which I like best to use. A little while ago I discovered the modifier "CorrectiveSmooth" that seems to make the deformations nicer and I have so far not needed to change the default settings to get good results.

I have not come to learn to do hair and hairstyles so the woman's hair is just a rush job, and I tried to change
the color of the shadows to fit the background blue-gray shadows but did not get it to work.

So far I have made three MakeHuman skin including normal and specular textures. By mixing my own textures with MakeHumans I can now create many variations. The Woman tanlines is created especially for image 2 by baking an ambient occlusion with "Bandeau bra" as I then added with the skin texture. The woman's skin material need some more work but it feels that the man's skin is relatively complete. It's hard to do materials that work in all situations. A problem with normal maps is that in some cases sharp edges between light and shadow appear.

The reason I found and started using MakeHuman is that I was thinking of doing a scifi scene to my music and needed some
people with clothes in the scene. (the scifi scene is not finished.) I did not bother to test daz3d, since I did not liked the overall impression and was uncertain with their license. MakeHuman is more like "cut the crap and get down to business."

It's so much better to have the clothes in MakeHuman and only make fine adjustments in Blender, it saves much time and make the clothes reusable.

To you who have or will begin to learn MakeHuman and Blender I highly recommend VscorpianC, she has taught me so much I am forever grateful for the work she put in to make her tutorials.
Mindfront

Re: Coffe Break

Postby RobBaer » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:14 pm

You have a real artist's eye and talent Mindfront. I especially like the composition and poses of the second panel. The poses are terrific. The shadows cast by punkduck's lace are cool when the image is viewed full size. Just out of curiosity how long did these take to render?

The caption says, "Not finished and newer will be" Did you mean, "Not finished and never will be"?
RobBaer

Postby Mindfront » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:54 am

RobBaer wrote:You have a real artist's eye and talent Mindfront. I especially like the composition and poses of the second panel. The poses are terrific. The shadows cast by punkduck's lace are cool when the image is viewed full size. Just out of curiosity how long did these take to render?

The caption says, "Not finished and newer will be" Did you mean, "Not finished and never will be"?

Thanks! The poses was really fun to do, my first more serious poses because I had previously only done poses for testing purposes. The man pose on the second picture is just a minor adjustment of the included in MakeHuman as standard.

First image took about 21 minutes on CPU-rendring 8 core (couldn't use GPU cause of memory limit, the skin textures are 8192x8192 pixels) with two render layers to get the shadows and resolution of 5760x3240. Only two light sources, the HDRi and a sun lamp.

Hide my face :oops: I ment "never", I was so tired when I was writing and I used google translate to help with most of the writing but simpler writing I do myself. Funny thing, I can read and hear advanced english and understand most of it but I have difficult to talk and write english.
Last edited by Mindfront on Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mindfront

Postby punkduck » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:29 pm

Hi Mindfront,

Yes these scenes look very realistic, especially the skin textures are very good. 8192 x 8192 :o and at least diffuse + normal map means a lot of memory ;)

Considering the skin the problem, I always thought, that the problem is more the difference between e.g. head and neck, because the areas are made in a different resolution. Also if your female has bigger cup-sizes, then the faces are stretched in the breast-region. So the skin looks different. I tried to avoid this by cutting out these parts and put them somewhere in the free space of the standard UV-map for my proxy, but if you do that, you have more seams and therefore another problem. So this will always be a compromise ...

You talk about music ... when I look in the face of your woman first, she reminds me a little bit of the islandic singer Björk ... I guess I'm totally wrong because of the darker skin color, but that was my first impression before even reading the text .. :oops:

I will add a tutorial for the hair (maybe it is more a tips and tricks) and also how I structure the files to (re-)use the characters in Blender, so that people do not need to do millions of imports and exports. This might take a few days, but I'm very interrested in comments and in the way other people are doing this.

Punkduck
punkduck

Postby Mindfront » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:28 pm

I chose the resolution of 8192 for best detail for close-ups. You can always reduce the resolution if necessary, but never raise without losing quality. While i was doing such big job, I didn't want to do all once again.

Mindfront_MakeHuman_Hand.png
Hand close-up

I about to fine-tune the material to reduce the feeling of doll but overall I am satisfied.

Now I look foward to read your hair tutorial.
Mindfront

Postby Marco_105 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:04 pm

Good job, sound that everybody (in Gallery) got its own skin bump/normal process to get good realistic texturing on it...
Marco_105

Return to Gallery