the daily life of models

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: the daily life of models

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:17 pm

A hint for the younger ones: people did not have mp3 in that time.

Geez... It wasn't all that long ago I sold a unit very similar to the one in the picture that I had restored. Great way to listen to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Krupa Gene Krupa records. :-D
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Postby punkduck » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:10 pm

Okay, another classy one. Same time, the 50s. Now I created a hair-do for my Leska character ... to be honest not that simple. I created a lot of new objects: china, glasses, art and furniture, all used in those times. Some people say objects of that time had been ugly --- well let's see what the future generation will tell us about our time where even males wear buns :lol:

Of course some free interpretations, the lighting in the cabinet did not exist in reality. But fluorescent tubes are available since the 40s. So that would be possible also.

The books in the shelf have titles of modern age. I did not want to change that, because it is intended. From my friend Elv I got for this scene: wallpaper, both dresses and the books. Elv, thank you for helping me ;) Especially the dress of Leska is very elegant, she looks fantastic with that :D

After having wine and wafers, both girls will go to a club, so there will be more in pictures in future. I hope you like it.

50s_meeting_a_friend.jpg
Meeting a friend in the 50s

P.S.: the German wine of the year 1954 wasn't that good I just figured out ...
punkduck

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:53 am

Are those "nose cone" bras the ladies are wearing? Just read about those the other day and was amazed that was a thing.
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Postby punkduck » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:13 pm

Well, I just wondered and had to look, yes bullet bras. In Germany they were called "Spitztüten-BH" which means "triangular bags" translated word by word. In a way very funny.
These assets are still used in rockabilly scene over here but also combined in modern fashion.

But that leads me to an idea: Creating a pin-up girl with classic accessories. Okay pinups are "invented" earlier than the 50s I learnt. E.g. as nose art on the U.S. planes of WW2, so in the 40s ... but afaik the pinups have their first appearance somewhere in the 20s.

Well maybe an art concept for a render of a makehuman character in near future? Why not.
punkduck

Postby punkduck » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:45 pm

meeting_50sdiners.jpg
meeting in 50's diner

Another picture about a 50's situation in west-Germany. This time it is more American than German, because in the 50's we did not have so much American 50's feeling over here. Most was rather conservative and our youth needed a few years longer than those from the other side of the pond.

Nevertheless I want to go on with my story, it should create a link between Germany and Canada. The simple reason is, that my Canadian friend Elvaerwyn just worked with me and we created a lot of clothes and
objects. Some are featured here.

So my 3 female characters are already waiting for their friends. And the first one just arrived. He is member of the Royal Canadian Air Force, his rank is "Flight Sergeant". Canadian Air Force was stationed in Germany until the cold war ended.

I present the story of the relationships very positive. It is a bit like an ideal world.

But if you think of historical facts, it was not that easy. Soldiers came into my country and there was a no-fraternization campagne in the beginning (this order was cancelled in October 1945 for U.S. soldiers).
Poverty and economical crisis but also the lack of males resulted in friendships and more. 1946 the marriage between Germans and U.S. soldiers was allowed from U.S. government again.

This was one side. The other side are my fellow-countrymen of those times. It was a long way until they accepted the (meanwhile) NATO partners as friends and the problem itself disappeared slowly. Before women had social pressure and are considered sometimes as whores (mostly because of jealousy btw.)

I will not forget to mention the eastern part of my country: a relationship between a Russian soldiers and German women was rather seldom. On the one hand there was the negative propaganda from war-time in Germany and on the other hand the Russian Army itself did never really wanted it. This was an established political view nearly the complete time.

Political and human reality are different: without a Russian officer helping my 7 year old father in 45/46 I would not even exist.

I want to thank Elv for

• all the clothes (3 dresses and also the dress uniform)
  • the "marshmallow sofa", which was designed by Irving Harper of George Nelson Associates in the year 1954.
  • the Ovalia Egg Chair, similar to the one of Finish designer Eero Aarnio (was made later in 1968, so not 100% correct but that's art :) )
  • the pool billard including cue and balls
  • the porcelain called "Astro China", using the typical atomic design patterns of the fifties.
  • the neon signs already featured in her own art (in deviant art)

My own work is the room, the other lights and 50's diners furniture including bar. And blender hair-dos + some textures. So this time the German-Canadian co-production is more Canadian I have to admit :)
punkduck

Postby RobBaer » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:46 pm

Terrific scene. Terrific assets. Fantastic art! Congrats to you both.

Living in sous-Canada (i.e., US) I have seen (lived around) many of the types of artifacts in your scene when I was a young boy. The 50's were the simpler times of the American TV show Happy Days, and the movie it was based on - American Graffiti. You can still find a few diners retro-decorated to remind us of those times. American cars all had huge tail fins back then. Think classic 1957 chevy.

I found my eye drawn to the glass brick wall which was a construction material so popular at the time.
RobBaer

Postby punkduck » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:57 pm

I started to test Elvs fringe clothes a week ago. Although I have them for a while on my box, i did not really knew what to do with them exactly. When I first tested with my Afro-American Noelia she somehow reminded me of movies about Egypt or Rome ...

Sitting in my dark room and doing home office my thoughts were somewhere else. So a Mediterranean scene maybe? From a country currently unreachable? Why not. I looked for another fringe dress my friend Elv created and thought of some more translucency and a white color. So I changed the material. Since my Evi is a bit pale, she got a more healthier skin color and now looks more "Mediterranean" as well.

Then I created some wall-elements and textures and I did one piece of furniture very similar to a roman bed from ancient times. I tried to do a simplified copy of the bed/sofa you can find in the exhibition of Metropolitan museum of art in New York.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Couch_and_footstool_with_bone_carvings_and_glass_inlays_MET_DP138722.jpg

The rest it not really roman. Especially these high heels. And the building also ... for the elements I got my inspiration from Asterix comics :mrgreen:

What will they do, when it will start to rain? :?

I used the following assets from Elv:
  • Fringe Hippy Dress1 (unchanged)
  • Fringe off shoulder dress1 (with modified material)
  • Peep toe Slingbacks1 (unchanged)

Thank you very much, Elv. First time I started and got my inspiration while working, it seems to work better than I thought ;)

Stay healthy folks

roman_attributes.jpg
Roman attributes
punkduck

Postby loki1950 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:55 am

Asterrix forever though his creator died a week ago :(

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby punkduck » Sun May 03, 2020 9:59 am

For this scene I dressed Anissa, Evi and Noelia as Roman citizens.

It is a rather free interpretation, I know. According to the fresco at the wall it should be a room in a dance school. So they could be 3 professional dancers.

When I try to get information about these times I got most of it from the excavations of Pompeii and Herculaneum. So I was inspired to do a scene of the days short before the volcanic eruption of Mount Vesuvius in autumn 79 AD.

The water of the fountain seems to be warmer than usual and the birds are leaving the place (birds in North Europe do that usually before winter, but not birds in warm countries). Situation seems to be serious and frightening, but all this was unknown in these times, so they try to find an explanation by discussing the topic.

All three will go to Rome the next day. They should dance for the friend of blonde Anissa, Gaius Caecilius Cilo, a Roman lawyer and writer. He will go back to Rome and currently stays in Misenum, so from there they should travel together.

All three will never see this place again. But Anissa's friend will leave us the information we have today. Also his name is used for this type of eruption (plinian eruption). His name is known in history: Plinius (Pliny) the younger.

A lot of things we know about the Romans today was preserved in a time capsule formed by the ashes of Vesuvius.

Technical details:
All characters are made with MakeHuman, the small figurines of the fountain are low-poly proxies with additional hair and a normal-map. I took a modern pole-dance pose for them.

Blender fluid simulation was used to create the water.

Btw: the Background image is a modified wikimedia image

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Pompeii%26Vesuvius.JPG

Especially I changed the height of the volcano, unfortunately I did not find an image before the eruption ;)

My friend Elv helped me with:
  • Fringe Hippy Dress1 (unchanged)
  • Fringe off shoulder dress1 (with modified material)
  • Peep toe Slingbacks1 (unchanged)
  • Caesar Heels (geometry)
  • Sarong Dress (geometry)

Thank you, Elv

strange_facts.jpg
last day in Pompeii

p.s.: Before I forget, meanwhile I figured out that Romans had windows made from glass already. Smaller glass planes and not as clear as the windows of today. So the question what will happen when it rains is solved :lol:
punkduck

Postby punkduck » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:06 am

goddesses.jpg
Greek goddesses on Mt Olympus

This time I just wanted my models to look like Greek goddesses. Leska plays the role of Athena, she is the goddess of warfare but I gave her less weaponry, because she also is the goddess who symbolizes mental strength, science and art. Dani is Aphrodite, who symbolizes love, beauty but also is the goddess for trees, fruits and flowers. Evi is Demeter, the goddess of agriculture. She is a bit shy and often in background, most people don't notice her today. But meanwhile a lot people again discover, how important good food is. This of course includes myself.

This is another cooperation with my friend Elvaerwyn, she created all the dresses and the mirror of Aphrodite. She also supported me to create the scene layout. Thank you, for the help, Elv :)

All dresses are available for download.

Attention: these are goddesses. For normal people: don't climb real Mt Olympus in Greece without appropriate clothing. :mrgreen:
punkduck

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery