the daily life of models

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: the daily life of models

Postby Aranuvir » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Perhaps make a proxy of it :D. IIRC Manuel has/had access to a bunch of 3D-scans of humans.
Aranuvir

Postby loki1950 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:55 pm

Have several animal models from 0AD a RTS game project all models are CC0 so no real copyright issues they are in .dae format and most are rigged as well I'm a bit lazy :mrgreen:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby Mindfront » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:21 pm

This looks like a great start, I can already see the horse running around on the meadows :D
punkduck wrote:Anatomy isn't that easy.
Yes, even if you have a real life reference. It's easy that the proportions get completely wrong and I've found that it's good to rest for a few days and then check again.
Mindfront

Postby punkduck » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:34 pm

Mindfront wrote:This looks like a great start, I can already see the horse running around on the meadows :D
punkduck wrote:Anatomy isn't that easy.
Yes, even if you have a real life reference. It's easy that the proportions get completely wrong and I've found that it's good to rest for a few days and then check again.

Thanx, but for "running around" there will be a lot of work to get the rig work like it should. Yesterday I googled for pictures how a horse looks inside the mouth to figure out geometry for teeth and tongue. I found veterinary (and dental) pictures ... but don't google for these pictures, you can't sleep the next night. :shock:

The horse will be in a way similar to a MakeHuman character, one difference will be that I connect teeth and body.
punkduck

Postby RobBaer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:10 pm

Fixing the eyes will make a huge difference. :) Out of interest is the hay on the floor just an image texture, or did you use a particle system to make it. Whichever, it really adds nicely to the scene.
RobBaer

Postby punkduck » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:00 pm

RobBaer wrote:Fixing the eyes will make a huge difference. :) Out of interest is the hay on the floor just an image texture, or did you use a particle system to make it. Whichever, it really adds nicely to the scene.

Well, I hope it looks a bit better now, horse eyes are something special. The pupils are rounded rectangles and not circles. So I created a new texture. I added the tear duct and eye-lid (I hope the geometry is sufficient for closing the eyes now). You also have to create eyelashes in the end. Strand hair or maybe texture; I'm not sure. The inside of the mouth is not yet ready ...

Here is an eye comparison human <=> horse

eye_comparison.jpg

The hay on the ground is from an image which I made seamless using GIMP. With displacement used in Blender it looks quite okay.
punkduck

Postby punkduck » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:03 pm

Meanwhile saddle and stirrup are ready to go and riding fashion will also be created. But we are not in the MakeHorse forum.

This weekend I got a belted dress from Elvaerwyn. It is not (yet) in the assets. Now the triangle based clothes are working better, because Elv creates the clothes to allow both, using them in Blender and SIMs.

Since Noelia does not have too many clothes until now, I took her as the model this time. Thanx for sending the "prototype", Elvaerwyn ;)

noelia_shortdress.jpg
punkduck

Postby punkduck » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:23 pm

In between I rigged the horse using the rigify skeleton. Like a MakeHuman character you are able to close the eyes (shape keys) and open the mouth. You can also move nostrils and ears, it is also possible to bare the teeth, The jaws consists of 40 teeth and you can look into the mouth to determine the age (but the tongue is still missing) ;)

The rigify armature has been changed to do the extra movements, but I also threw away unnecessary bones and widgets (e.g. for forelock, also some for the tail). Not all components are really working properly. I also created saddle, numnah and halter. Until now three particle systems are creating the hair. The shader of Wolgade is used, but instead of the wooden texture the horse texture is used.

Since I didn't create the clothes until now, Leska is only allowed to lead the horse ;)

The name of the Lippizan horse is Sostado. The name, the texture and all measurements (height at the withers = 167 cm) are taken from the real horse. What I can't do for my models (give you the names and skin-textures of the real ones) I can do for the horse, because I got the permission to do it.

When everything works a little better, the horse could be added to the assets. I promise I would not rewrite MakeHuman to create horses :lol:

leska+sostado.jpg

leska+sostado2.jpg

Just wait for the clothes and the horse to be perfect. ...

EDIT: second (side view) picture was changed, the kind of gait I created would ruin the horse.
Last edited by punkduck on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
punkduck

Postby loki1950 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:54 am

Really like action of the horse's gait specifically the slight kink in the spine as she descends the curved path still looks like they are walking on air though :lol:

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby punkduck » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:50 pm

loki1950 wrote:Really like action of the horse's gait specifically the slight kink in the spine as she descends the curved path still looks like they are walking on air though :lol:

Oh that was even worse. The gait was simply not okay, the left hind leg especially was wrong but also the right foreleg should be move into another position. Elvaerwyn contacted me about the topic and gave me the advice (thanx Elv!). She grew up with horses ....

The funny thing about that is, that I read all the articles about skeleton comparison, gait ... I use anatomy pics for the horse etc, then I do the first picture and it seems that I forgot everything :roll:

For all people who are interrested: here is a human/horse skeleton comparison from a Swiss page (in German, but it is sufficient to see the matching numbers)
https://www.reiten-nz.ch/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Mensch-Pferd-Vergleich1.jpg. So for people like me, who thought the kneecap must be on the back side, it was good lesson .... :lol:

I did the side view again. Allthough the horse touched the ground in the old picture with two feet I changed this also. Especially because the horse weigh about 600 kilograms at least it should sink in a bit and not only touch the ground.
punkduck

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery