the daily life of models

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: the daily life of models

Postby Mindfront » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:28 pm

I do my normal maps in several stages and I work in Blender Internal when texturing and bake because it is more manageable and you can bake together several normal maps.

First i do projection painting from a real photo to get the bigger folds on the right place and then i bake the first normal map from a high resolution mesh with displacement modifier to the original mesh.

I do the smaller bump details in grayscale in photoshop, the seams slightly lighter and the french seams and edges soft dark. The average value of R:127 G:127 B:127 is neutral color for mesh surface level, everything brighter bump up and everything darker bump down. If you use gradients you should work in 16 bit to minimize banding. This image is then a base for the specular map but as 8 bit.

Finally I bake the bump on top of the folds normal map. In some clothes I have used several levels of details that I bake togeter for the final normal map.

I thought of making a tutorial but my language skills in writing are to "bumpy" that I use google translate for this :) And time is as usual in short supply.
Mindfront

Postby punkduck » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:16 pm

Partly for the clothes I tried it with a similar method in between.

First I generate a map for the details, when I'm using a diffuse texture, I desaturate it, then enhance the contrast. Then I use a NormalMap program for my apple (which is not the best, but works).
Then for the bigger folds/pleats (whatever is the right word in english) I use the blender bake. But this sometimes makes it even worse ... because the folds I create not always look realistic. Using projection painting is indeed a good idea for the right position ... (I was to lazy to do that this way :mrgreen: , but it is more exact obviously).

I'm still looking for a program to paint(!) these normals on a picture. Technical this should be possible. It should work like the sculpting tool in Blender, but it only should create the map. For details it does not work, but for folds it should be an idea. Maybe I can program s.th. like that myself. Or is there allready a software which is capable to do this ...? :?:

Of course I can take a simple plane, subdivide that a thousand times and sculpt and bake it, I know ;)
punkduck

Postby punkduck » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:45 pm

Meanwhile I created a civilian version of DredNicholson's camouflage T-Shirt. I made small changes for my own version (I lowered the t-shirt a bit, so that it does not levitate above the shoulder). You can download the material and create your own logo or whatever you need.

On my picture Dani is staying in front of Kriveljski railway bridge in east-Serbia. Definitely a place where you better wear non-camouflage clothes ;)

dani_kriveljski_most.jpg
punkduck

---

Postby DredNicolson » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:13 am

Wild game hunting is popular here in Oklahoma, so civilians wearing camo is not uncommon. ;)
In a war-torn region with lots of lingering ethnic tensions, not so much. :(
DredNicolson

Re: ---

Postby punkduck » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:37 pm

DredNicolson wrote:Wild game hunting is popular here in Oklahoma, so civilians wearing camo is not uncommon. ;)
In a war-torn region with lots of lingering ethnic tensions, not so much. :(

No wonder, that I misunderstood that ... do you know, how people look in my country, when they go out to hunt wild game?

Look at this picture:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/Eilert_Tantzen_forest.jpg

:lol:

Well it is an older picture, of course the uniform is not important nowadays. But without a special shooting license and knowledge about forestry nobody is allowed to hunt in my country. I guess our forests are simply too small for that, please consider: when a hobby hunter shoots, a towner nearby will die :o

So for hunting in my country I've to create a uniform for MH :D
punkduck

Postby punkduck » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:44 pm

The only thing my girls now can do, is to show some CLEAN nudity (in the truest sense of the word), after giving nearly all my clothes to MakeHuman community there is a severe lack of clothes at home :lol:

leska_bathtub.jpg

As you also might recognize: In front of leska the civil relative of punkduck takes a bath ... :mrgreen:

I tried a lot versions of foam and ended up in a particle system with zero gravity. In some way it looks like foam. And for wet hair, I've also no solution until now :oops:
punkduck

---

Postby DredNicolson » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:53 pm

A starting point is thinking about how water affects hair. Wet hair is darker and heavier, and it adheres to the skin. The ends of individual strands get "glued" together into spikes. The water forces out air and removes any puffiness, and its specular properties mix in with those of the hair, changing the reflections.

So most of the particle strands need to be straight, puff-less, and clumped into spikes at the ends. The remainder should be twisting and sticking to various parts of the face--forehead, cheeks, neck, and so. Edit the material to have darker diffuse color and mix in a water-like specular shader into the original hair spec.
DredNicolson

Postby Marco_105 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:21 pm

Your work is cared for and takes into account a set of knowledge and studies on the subject ...
The link on D. Moratilla must be seen in deep ! I need also find my own skin texture...
Marco_105

Postby punkduck » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:01 pm

Marco_105 wrote:Your work is cared for and takes into account a set of knowledge and studies on the subject ...
The link on D. Moratilla must be seen in deep ! I need also find my own skin texture...

I'm not the youngest y'know and as a person doing layouts for model railways you have to figure out elements of a scene which are most important to create to make something "real" ;)
But it is far away from realism. And as I wrote to CallHarvey3d, sometimes there is not enough fantasy in my work.

Considering the skin texture: I made all from pictures of real models. But for copyright reasons and not to get in conflict with the personal rights of the real models (even if I don't mention their real pseudonyms, they are existent), I will NEVER upload them. So if you are doing that in the way I've done it (which is a lot of copy & paste, changing light effects, changing skin color, because each picture has different light setup etc.) AND you want upload them, please change them in a way, that they cannot be recognized (e.g. no tattoos, which are unique for a person etc.).

Nobody wants to see his or her own skin misused in an offending scene without permission. :(
punkduck

Postby Marco_105 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:45 pm

Yes I think so !
For me it's most a way between real and stylized, prefer second one than photographic skin render because try to get CG rendering. I don't would like have my skin o a model, little bit strange ! :?
Marco_105

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery