the daily life of models

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: the daily life of models

Postby wolgade » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:39 am

Mindfront wrote:Any reason why this kind of cameras is so large?

Simple question, simple answer: These cameras are filled up with electronic devices. No camera manufacturer has any reason to make a camera larger or heavier than necessary. In fact, they all want to get their stuff lighter and smaller.
wolgade

Postby wolgade » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:49 am

punkduck wrote:In between I created the viewfinder for the camera.

Cool. Looks promising.
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:21 am

Mindfront wrote:
punkduck wrote:Furthermore I started with a gear head, at the end it should be fixed to a stand or a dolly. Of course it is far from being completed. A matte box and other parts are still missing.
That's what I call detailed quality modelling :P Any reason why this kind of cameras is so large? It seems to need a forklift to be movable :mrgreen:

As Wolgade said (I got most information from him via email), these devices are really full of technology. The number "65" is the length of the diagonal of the sensor of a resolution of 6560 x 3100, the frame rate is up to 60 fps. 2 Terrabytes of storage, all frames saved in uncompressed raw format, but that is cinematography :shock:

Two examples of different vendors according to the assets I've done:

Ex Machina:

https://mattmulcahey.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/ex-machina-grantland-a24.jpg?w=1280

Wonder Woman:

https://codex.online/casestudies/Wonder-Woman-DP-Matthew-Jensen-ASC-Discusses-Filmmaking-Tech

Of course you need a camera crane or a dolly, if you want to work with these cameras. But you can also put them on your shoulders, there is a shoulder pad available :lol: .

More serious: When looking for pictures for this topic, my only problem was to find pictures of famous female cinematographers. Well there are some, but no one is considered as "famous" in the common sense, just look at the list of (male) Oscar winners in Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Cinematography

For me, the whole "me too" discussion will not change much in film biz as long as most people only are thinking of a "best looking actress".
I hope this will change in future, so that we get more females in different roles where you don't expect them now :cry:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jan/25/woman-cameraman-snubbed-mudbound-rachel-morrison-nominated-oscar

Just funny about all this: doing a few pictures here means: 25% of research, 65% percent of Blender work (fortunately at least 40% is done for the assets you can download) and 10% work with MakeHuman directly :ugeek:
punkduck

Postby punkduck » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:54 pm

After a week, a lot of questions to Wolgade (and a few proposals from him also) I'm ready with the movie camera. Now I'm able to present Leska working as a cinematographer ...

You should imagine a day of shooting in front of a green screen (chroma keying). Evi has to play the role of a fantasy princess somewhere in front of a fairy tail castle (I was too lazy to create one, that's the truth :lol: ). Or is it in front of a space-ship? ... hmmm. Whatever, you never know. Wolgade taught me, that a green screen is not allowed to receive shadows. So it is lightened very bright.

movie_scene1.jpg

This is the perspective of Evi:

movie_scene2.jpg

Not to get in trouble with the Employer's Liability Insurance Association, Wolgade just explained in an email, I must be careful where to put the wiring ... so the next picture is especially for him :mrgreen:

movie_scene3.jpg

Just one comment: the wireless headset is not necessary in such a small environment, I just learned. But I need something for the community. So I added it nevertheless (it will be in the user contributed assets soon).

Some further pictures will follow, I guess.
punkduck

Postby Mindfront » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:29 pm

Eye candy :D
This is most inspiring impressive great work. All this details... the expressions and poses... I just saw your Wireless Headset and that is :D

punkduck wrote:For me, the whole "me too" discussion will not change much in film biz as long as most people only are thinking of a "best looking actress".
I hope this will change in future, so that we get more females in different roles where you don't expect them now :cry:
I couldn't agree more. I was excited over the new Tomb Rider movie but when I read it lack of female characters, was a big disappointment, but at least some improvements has been done.
Mindfront

Postby wolgade » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:51 am

Great work.
punkduck wrote:Wolgade just explained in an email, I must be careful where to put the wiring ... so the next picture is especially for him

:geek: Ok, in this case...
movie_scene3.jpg
wolgade

Postby loki1950 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:00 am

Like the way you branded the camera and rig Puckduck :lol:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby RobBaer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:17 pm

Love the modeling work and the time you spend on research shows in your final product. Kudos!
RobBaer

Postby punkduck » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:15 pm

Mindfront wrote:Eye candy :D
This is most inspiring impressive great work. All this details... the expressions and poses... I just saw your Wireless Headset and that is :D

To pose Leska directly on the left side of the camera looking through the viewfinder not intersecting the pod of the stand and also turning the wheel of the swivel mechanism was really hard :?
In normal life you can also use a display on the cameras instead of the viewfinder. This would make the scene simpler ...

loki1950 wrote:Like the way you branded the camera and rig

This is intended. Well you only have to change the 4 letters of DUCK ... unfortunately I cannot asked Mr. ARnold and Mr. RIchter (they allready died, because the company is existing since 100 years) if I'm allowed to put the real brand on the camera and since Leska handles the camera, I call her Aleska ... So no commercials here. :lol:
But on the other hand, you can only rent this camera and I was fascinated when I saw this device. Just to be fair: I know there is another company in California also creating great cameras ... 8-)

RobBaer wrote:Love the modeling work and the time you spend on research shows in your final product. Kudos!

Thanks! I first thought of buying one of these cameras just to measure the dimensions ... :lol:

wolgade wrote::geek: Ok, in this case...

:ugeek: I did that, just to test you.

No I was too lazy to fix it again and again. The cables are 3 Bezier-curves fixed to a few hooks, one is directly inside the ring holding the wires. But even then, when you swivel or tilt the camera a bit, the cables move outside the ring. Best way of course is to fix that directly before you render. Since yesterday, you can try that with your copy ;)
punkduck

Postby punkduck » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:45 pm

For not carrying the camera on the shoulder I created a dolly. These things are a bit ugly, but the form makes sense because you can position the camera in a lot different ways. The price is nearly as high as for the camera, but you normally are only able to rent these things. Leska has to push the dolly, I didn't see that there is a motor inside to drive, but electricity can be used to power the hydraulic system to lift the camera. If not available you have to pump manually. You can sit on the chair, you can mount standing boards, seats etc., the dolly could run on different tracks, it can be steered in conventional and crab mode. Without payload this thing weight about 200 kilogram, with camera, operator and assistent it will carry a payload to 230 kilogram.

Well a lot of these things are also possible with this virtual version. It was a bit tricky to make the four bar linkage work, by the way.

How it is used will be presented in a few pictures later. Unfortunately I didn't create rechargeable battery pack for the camera, so you have to wait.
When I will use wiring instead, Wolgade would kill me for sure ... :lol:

leska_dolly1.jpg
punkduck

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery