the daily life of models

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: the daily life of models

Postby wolgade » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:46 pm

Nice and a very special topic indeed, I have to admit that I don't know much about native American culture. I know about "wounded knee", but that's a while ago and not about culture but genocide. I also knew someone who had a regular life in Germany who got accepted as a member of an indian tribe. He decided to leave his regular life, move to Canada and live with his tribe. Ok, very off topic.
wolgade

---

Postby DredNicolson » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:55 am

The frills you see on the "traditional" buckskin garments can be imitated through makeclothes by using an alpha map. Model and texture it like normal, then paint an alpha map with 'fingers' of transparency on the final face loops of sleeves, hems, moccasin tops, etc.

(I put traditional in scare quotes because a lot of what we think we know about the cowboys-and-indians era in America was actually made up out of whole cloth in Hollywood. How we think the native tribes dressed back then might also be warped by the pop culture.)
DredNicolson

Postby loki1950 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:49 am

So my grandmother told me ages ago though she was Iroquoian and there confederation was the model for the US Constitution.And her people where farmers :)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby MTKnife » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:11 am

loki1950 wrote:So my grandmother told me ages ago though she was Iroquoian and there confederation was the model for the US Constitution.And her people where farmers :)

Enjoy the Choice :)

One of my political science students reported that story to me a number of years ago--she apparently was taught it in school, and it's widespread and even accepted in some quarters. While it's certainly interesting, it doesn't have any substantial basis in fact. Short version: while a couple of Founding Fathers did reference the Iroquois Confederation, there's not a lot of evidence of direct influence. The things that look like evidence look less so when you take account of the big picture: loose structures to govern groups of associated peoples are not that uncommon in history; the interesting thing about the U.S. Constitution is less that it set up a governing structure (which, it should be said, was way more centralized than that of the Iroquois), but that the entire system was codified, from the start, in a single written document.
MTKnife

Re: ---

Postby punkduck » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:30 pm

DredNicolson wrote:The frills you see on the "traditional" buckskin garments can be imitated through makeclothes by using an alpha map. Model and texture it like normal, then paint an alpha map with 'fingers' of transparency on the final face loops of sleeves, hems, moccasin tops, etc.

(I put traditional in scare quotes because a lot of what we think we know about the cowboys-and-indians era in America was actually made up out of whole cloth in Hollywood. How we think the native tribes dressed back then might also be warped by the pop culture.)

Of course I also would do it this way - creating a second layer with transparency for these fringes. But posing a character with this kind of dress

http://fashion-gossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Authentic-American-Indian-Clothing-Fashion-Outlet-Review-9.jpg

is possible in Blender but (I believe) not in Makehuman. In T-Pose in looks good, but what will happen, when the arms are moved to the body?

About native Americans: I'm also aware that the image of their culture, especially in Europe but also in North America was created by the media (movies). But slowly it changed and the "cowboys-and-indians" image disappears in serious media. Unfortunately "Mr. Google" presents a lot of this costume garbage :evil: in the image search, even when you enter "heritage" as an additional term. So I searched for these clothes in U.S. and Canadian museum www-pages, I also look in pages of different tribes. But I had always this problem with the arms. So I changed the topic a bit: "what are they doing today?".

I think good self-confidence of people is always the best way to become recognized. The simple reason: I get interested if they present something which makes them unique. And most interesting for me is, that some of our members have Native American relatives ... maybe my European perspective was a little bit too narrow-minded (like: native American = reservation).

I will also give a statement to the confederation/constitution (view from "outside of the U.S." 8-) ): a lot of principles of the age of enlightenment, the Magna Carta (1215), the english Bill of Rights (1689) influenced this constitution. The people creating this constitution had knowledge of political topics. The principle of "checks and balances" was very modern in 1787 compared to e.g. Europe. But I guess the first 3 words ("we the people") were not meant for everyone in those times ...

However: when you look at the constitutions of a lot of modern countries of today, you will find the elements of the U.S. Constitution, not identical, but similar.
I'm sure that a native American tribe also had something similar like the "bill of rights". But did they also need to have the "checks and balances" principle? ;)

But I knew before, that this topic is a bit political, especially after I read some of the "beyond buckskin" articles :mrgreen:
punkduck

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:01 pm

Frills or fringes while decorative also served a practical purpose, to help wick water away from the garment.

On NA check and balances, most tribes understood and practiced the concept as they still make every effort to do.

On your creations, let your creativity guide you. If you wish to recreate some old traditional outfits with sleeves that conform to the body rather than being winged (another tool to help shed water), do so. I think there are tribal members who would see it as a tribute to their legacy.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby punkduck » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:27 pm

Since O4saken has done the wonderful assets for Harley Quinn, I decided to try these clothes using my blond girl Dani, so she is a cosplay character again :shock:

Some words before: when you look at the www-pages of Detective Comics, who created this character, you can see that her appearance changes from time to time. One of the reasons is, that they engage different artists doing the drawings. These artists are mostly present in the internet and you are able to see their work. The assets from O4saken resemble the assets of the drawings of Jeremy Roberts (a lot of cosplay girls also use this outfit), here is his page:

https://jprart.deviantart.com/

The character I made (only make-up and haircolor) is created like the character of the movie "Suicide Squad" played by Margot Robbie, this version is more familiar (because of the film) than the version of Roberts (but his version fits better to the clothes :mrgreen: ).

I put Dani/Harley in front of the East Side Gallery in Berlin, I used an old photo of a piece of art (Pneumohumanoids by Jens-Helge Dahmen) I made in the 90s. The Berlin Wall was used as a graffiti wall before the reunification. Well at least from West-Berlin side ;). After the reunification one part of the wall was not torn down and was used to present contemporary artists. These pictures are renovated meanwhile, here is the google documentation:

https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/asset/pneumohumanoiden/vgFtr-fhqCmhGA?hl=de

I created a piece of this wall and put my photo on it. So I have a colorful background and a relation between art of the nineties and today ;)

dani_hq_berlin1.jpg

The strand hair might be not the best solution, when you do pigtails ... but I hope you like it nevertheless.

dani_hq_berlin2.jpg

Without O4saken these pictures would not be possible, so thanks a lot!
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:41 am

Cool, but for a scene located in Berlin it's a bit too clean. There's no such thing as clean pavement in Berlin.
punkduck wrote:The Berlin Wall was used as a graffiti wall before the reunification.

Yes, but this is not true for the East Side Gallery. This part of the Berlin Wall wasn't accessable from West-Berlin. You'd have had to cross the river Spree to get there and the whole river was part of East-Berlin at this section of the border. Very bad idea back in those days.

That's probably the reason why artists found white walls to paint on after borders were open.
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:57 pm

wolgade wrote:Cool, but for a scene located in Berlin it's a bit too clean. There's no such thing as clean pavement in Berlin.
punkduck wrote:The Berlin Wall was used as a graffiti wall before the reunification.

Yes, but this is not true for the East Side Gallery. This part of the Berlin Wall wasn't accessable from West-Berlin. You'd have had to cross the river Spree to get there and the whole river was part of East-Berlin at this section of the border. Very bad idea back in those days.

That's probably the reason why artists found white walls to paint on after borders were open.

As I wrote: only the west side of the wall was used to paint on it.

But, yes this part of the wall was built to keep East Germans away from the river. The pavement before the wall was tarred and looks like the street itself. I don't know what it looks like today. Since Berlin always has no money, I guess it looks the same + a few additional potholes :mrgreen:

The gallery is painted on the side facing to the East of this wall. On the eastern side there were no graffities, so every part of the wall could have been taken for that. Most parts of the wall you were not able to reach directly from the East, there were policeman or border guards around and, even if it sounds weird, if you got paint in East Germany it was not in aerosol cans and you are happy to use it for your own purpose because it was not always available :roll:

Here is some historic document for the MakeHuman users: that is the other side of the East Side Gallery, on the right the river Spree will follow, picture was taken in February 1990:
berlin-001.jpg

But I guess I must go there again. And that will be simple in a few months. Berlin might have no real airport (half of the world is joking about that meanwhile, very embarrasing for a capital city) :lol:, but there will be a new high-speed railway connection to Munich via Nuremberg. So even if you come from the U.S., Canada etc. to visit Berlin: Munich, Hanover and Hamburg have operating airports, simply take the high-speed trains for the rest. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No really, I like Berlin because of their scene, that's the reason why I donate a new virtual pavement for them ;)

And maybe I will take a few pictures for new scenes ...
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:57 pm

punkduck wrote:Here is some historic document for the MakeHuman users: that is the other side of the East Side Gallery, on the right the river Spree will follow, picture was taken in February 1990:

Assuming that you didn't take the picture, where did you get it?
punkduck wrote:But I guess I must go there again. And that will be simple in a few months.

Drop me a line when it happens. As I live in Berlin it might be a rare opportunity to meet some forum member in real life.
punkduck wrote:Berlin might have no real airport (half of the world is joking about that meanwhile, very embarrasing for a capital city) :lol:,

Now it gets nasty. As a matter of fact, Berlin has two working airports. One that nobody wants to use (Schoenefeld) and which should have been replaced by a new one at more or less the same location and a very popular one (Tegel) which will be shut down when (if?) the new one works. Flying to Berlin is easy. Make sure that your destination is TXL and not SHF. I don't think that anybody sells tickets with the destination BER (the new one).
wolgade

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery