the daily life of models

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: the daily life of models

Postby punkduck » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:05 pm

This weekend I made the clothes for riding a horse: breeches, boots and a helmet. All assets are available in the "user contributed assets" ... the first scene riding the horse will follow. There are still some problems with the horse rig ... and I have to work out a method for handling the stirrup belts and the rein.

(the round fence was created by Elvaerwyn)

leska_before_ride.jpg
punkduck

Postby loki1950 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:02 am

The saddle looks a bit on the large side for a competition/practice saddle or it maybe that is just the back being too thick.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby punkduck » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:13 pm

loki1950 wrote:The saddle looks a bit on the large side for a competition/practice saddle or it maybe that is just the back being too thick.

Enjoy the Choice :)

You can buy the saddle with a length from 16.5 inch to 18.5 inch. I reduced it to have a 17 inch one now. The flaps at the side are pressed against the horse while riding, This is done using shape-keys. The horse itself is modeled from this one:

sostado_orig.jpg

Sostado's fur isn't completely white on the picture. So it was made when he was younger, that's typical for Lipizzan horses, they are born with dark fur.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipizzan

Of course I did not get the horse a 100% right, especially the rigging is still doing weird things. I tried to do a similar pose using the "Blender-Sostado" as a film-horse for the next Wonder Woman film ... ;)

sostado_cosplay.jpg

But I also did a scene with Leska and Sostado doing show jumping. Because Sostado isn't a real show jumper, I only used a small obstacle (made by Elvaerwyn) for the scene,

sostado_jump1.jpg

sostado_jump2.jpg
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:46 pm

Nice images, but there's one thing I noticed. The material of the saddle is not as convincing as it should be. It looks a bit like plastic and I'm pretty sure that's not what it's made of. I made a leather material a while back by putting an old leather jacket of mine on my scanner. Looks like this:
leather.jpg

I'll attach the Blender file (CC0) just in case you or anyone else is interested. The Blender file contains the tileable leather texture.
Attachments
leather.zip
(3.06 MiB) Downloaded 473 times
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:58 pm

Some changes are made, Okay the saddle needed more gloss, it works with a normal map for the seams and not with a displacement. But when you are far away you can't see the structure unfortunately.

More interesting: I tried to fix the rigify skeleton. There are known bugs like the eyes are parented to one ear. The bigger problem was that the legs crossed in front and when I "fixed" forward kinematics, the inverse one would not work and the other way round. At the end I managed some "in between" version. This took a lot of time ... I threw out a lot of bones I don't need for the hair. Then I created a few bones to bare the teeth and I added the last "asset", a tongue.

A special particle system without children was added for eyelashes and the particle system for the mane now also creates some additional hair direct in the hoof region. I did another picture with the horse doing a natural trot, where normally two feet are on the ground.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trot

natural_trot.jpg

To show at least a little bit of the possibilities of the horse-face, I added two further pictures, Here are two examples with the horse eating an apple and using the tongue (I can remember this feeling when I was approx twelve years old ;) ). The ears, nostrils, lips, eyes and tongue are animated by bones. Closing the eyes is done by shape key. I know that this isn't 100% correct because of the linear movement, but it works.

equine_nutrition1.jpg

equine_nutrition2.jpg

Now I guess I've to buy a bucket of carrots to pay the real Sostado for being a model ... :P
punkduck

Postby punkduck » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:57 pm

I just did this picture to the say thank you to Elvaerwyn. As always considering these things, punkduck failed again ... :roll: ... but I guess I'm not the only one.

situations_while_dreaming.jpg
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:56 pm

Great! I really like the horse scenes.

And the beer bottle image? Of course, It's very much stereotype. On the other hand: It's intended to be so. The image itself might not be subtle at all, the contained sense of humor is, in my opinion..

BTW: Very nice outfit. I had a brief look. Is it available in the user repo? If not, what a pity! Looks great.
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:47 pm

I promised to render a picture with some clothes made by Elvaerwyn, maybe you also recognize the sword o4saken has added to his thread. I posed my models according to a "Swords of Sorrow" title page. The background is generated by Blender's smoke simulation. So this should be some kind of "cosplay" photo-shooting, therefore the colors and the contrast should look also a bit comic like.

In normal life I hate violence, so I added a small asset and leave the interpretation to the viewer.

A big thank you for the assets! :D

moments_of_decision.jpg
punkduck

Postby RobBaer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:55 pm

"Punkduck's angels" :)

I like that you have made the particle hair work a little bit. Have you tried using force fields with the particle hair at all or is it manual so far. Does particle hair work with a "wind machine" blowing on your models?
RobBaer

Postby punkduck » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:15 pm

RobBaer wrote:"Punkduck's angels" :)

I like that you have made the particle hair work a little bit. Have you tried using force fields with the particle hair at all or is it manual so far. Does particle hair work with a "wind machine" blowing on your models?

The hair was only combed similar to the "swords of sorrow" picture. The girls in the drawing have longer hair, so it is only similar. I'm working with 3 particle systems each girl, so combing is easy. Hair dynamics is only partly working, Using it, it will result in:

• bald spots on the head, because hair goes through the head instead of staying outside the head
  • The hair of Evi and Leska have "special artificial design" for the shoulder section and the back to simplify work. It does look less real, when dynamics is used, because then hair behaves naturally and creates a weird effect for the artificial design.
  • sometimes I have to switch off "deflect emitter" to get better results (hair is too far away from the head), when you do this, the chance of vanishing in the head is even higher
  • hair is intersecting with shoulders and ears. There are methods to avoid this, but I was too lazy to implement it. And Rob, when you finally finished work, the girls decide to have a new hair-do ... like in reality :roll: :lol:

The scene took me about 7 hours. Some time to work with the triangle meshes of the clothes, some time because the smoke in background first looked like Diesel exhaust fumes of a German car company :mrgreen: ... and I had no idea how to fix this.

If you experiment with 9 particles systems using hair dynamics, I guess I would need a week. I have tried it for one character but I guess I have to do a special hair-do to use dynamics.
punkduck

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery