the daily life of models

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: the daily life of models

Postby wolgade » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:28 pm

Nice toy. And I don't think it's ugly. It's built to fit a purpose.
punkduck wrote:When I will use wiring instead, Wolgade would kill me for sure ... :lol:

I won't kill anybody for anything. Of course you can use cables. You just have to do it properly. :D
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:34 am

Inbetween I fixed some details to create a first scene using the dolly and the camera (I added hydraulics to the dolly, fixed colors and I also created rechargeable battery pack not to need wiring :lol: ). The problem is, whenever you watch "making of" videos, you normally need dozens of people behind the scene. But I'm too lazy to create them in MakeHuman and I guess my small box will also refuse to render a scene with a huge amount of detailed characters. Like for this scenes in Avatar where the crew works with more than one camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2efxouZZB0 at 10:33

Unfortunately I only found the commercial about the dolly (the successor of the one I created), but I want to show how it is operated on tracks: so here is a "making of" of "Game of Thrones":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wasxw0n0MNI between 2:32 and 3:10

So I do something like a minimum configuration without sound (no microphone added :mrgreen: ):

dollyscene1.jpg

Since it is a virtual movie in a virtual world you can also look through the camera inside the camera ;) :

dollyscene_blend.jpg

and it looks like this:

dollyscene2.jpg

However, looking for some examples I slowly became aware that even the shot of a "simple" 20 seconds commercial or a scene like "person walks through hallway" sometimes need a big crew and a lot of expensive technical equipment ... . And using a 65 mm digital cinema camera is something which is still reserved for "advanced" movie productions.
punkduck

Postby punkduck » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:01 pm

Let's do a more dramatic scene. Assume Evi has been captured and wakes up in something like a dungeon.

Evi is able to play a role with tears in her eyes, with fear and despair. To do that in reality isn't very easy, you need a good professional education in theatre or film to do it convincingly. Persons casted as b-list or c-list celebrities will normally never reach this state. But to do that with a character created with MakeHuman and Blender isn't easy as well ...

Next problem for a dark scene: we need light to see at least something. So what about looking up to the ceiling with something like a hole in it with prison bars (unreachable of course). So we have our nightmare and also some light .... and let's use volumetric light :shock:

And maybe we need some kind of flickering of some fire from the side. Maybe a candle. In middle-ages that means some luxury in your prison cell. Candles were expensive. But no torches! Torches don't work, even that Hollywood likes torches to illuminate dungeons. For the torches you need a guy running around to equip them with new combustible material every 30-45 minutes ... and then you created an early form of a gas chamber because torches will gas the inmates and will make the executioner unemployed ... :?

evi_drama_advices.jpg

Before we do our scene, Leska explained Evi how to act to be visible for the camera (this is normally done by the producer). The camera is tilted to point down to the actress using the extra tilt-plate of the camera-head. A bunch of candles will light the side of the scene, but will not be visible. We need a reflector to increase the effect. What you can see is the flickering in the scene, not the candles.

evi_drama_action.jpg

"And action ....!" :mrgreen:

evi_drama_result.jpg

And that is, how the viewer will see the scene.

Now I've to ask the community to create a good looking guy to rescue Evi ... like in every good movie ... :lol:
punkduck

Postby loki1950 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:49 pm

And here I thought it was just another slasher flic :mrgreen:
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby punkduck » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:45 pm

Music again ...

This time I tried to make a scene with all my characters as a music ensemble singing traditional medieval songs and also using classic instruments like a hurdy-gurdy and a violin. When I made the dress, it reminded me of the dresses of the British ensemble Mediæval Bæbes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medi%C3%A6val_B%C3%A6bes

I got the violin from Mindfront in between (he now owns a camera and a dolly ;) ) and created a hurdy-gurdy. Furthermore it should be a recording scene, so I needed condenser microphones.

medievalbabes1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXrdfTSLWCY

So much about punk(duck)? :shock:

So where is the connection to violins and medieval instruments? Okay, I remember the singer Katharina Blake more than 20 years ago with her band "Miranda Sex Garden":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-wvFz8RofA

It was an interresting combination in those times. But I got the strange feeling that we all got older in between ... :?
punkduck

Postby loki1950 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:35 am

Love it Duck up to your usual standard :D the hurdy-gurdy has a beautiful finish did you just lighten Mindfront's violin material or create your own still have the soprano recorder(wood) I first learned on and the Alto I got while in college low these many years ago can't play them since my stroke waiting to find a young musician to pass them on to hard to find well crafted instruments in these days of plastic they lack the soul of wood ones.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby punkduck » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:15 pm

Two additional pictures ...

medievalbabes2.jpg

The hurdy-gurdy was created using documents of Australian Graeme McCormack which you can find here :

https://sites.google.com/site/gurdymaking/home/henri-3-renaissance-hurdy-gurdy

It is a renaissance model and not medieval, but I like it anyway.

All information how a hurdy-gurdy is working, we can learn from Patricia (aka Patty Gurdy, German band Stormseeker & Solo). She had a more “advanced” version (custom-made).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaamZkadYvo

I've to admit that this has been one of the best tutorials I ever saw :lol:

So here is an example, how a hurdy-gurdy sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyIXR3s8OtY

loki1950 wrote:Love it Duck up to your usual standard :D the hurdy-gurdy has a beautiful finish did you just lighten Mindfront's violin material or create your own still have the soprano recorder(wood) I first learned on and the Alto I got while in college low these many years ago can't play them since my stroke waiting to find a young musician to pass them on to hard to find well crafted instruments in these days of plastic they lack the soul of wood ones.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Depending on the kind of music you sometimes need the "plastic-ones". Same with guitars: I first bought an electric one. Without this loud and raw instrument I never would have been interrested in classical ones. So I bought the acustic one years later. When I "had to" learn an instrument in my youth, I'm sure that today I would hate all these things. For me the other way round was more creative and obviously the better method ... today I like the classic instruments as well, but I can't play a violin ...

The materials I created using some other wood textures which are similar to the ones the Australian is using, but not the same, I simply tried to figure out the structure and color (something between rosewood, pinewood, myrtlewood ...) and took what was similar to the model he did. Mindfront's texture uses a bump-map and a "metal-map" for the principled shader, I use the "classic" version with normal-map and different shaders for the material.

So here is Mindfront's violin again, this time played by Dani instead of Samuel ...

medievalbabes3.jpg
punkduck

Postby Mindfront » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Make music with MakeHuman :D I can not play any instrument :cry: and it's impressive to see those who can. The hurdy-gurdy have a very special great sound and it's enjoyable to watch Patty Gurdy demonstrations and impressive they could do this advanced instrument so long ago. Now I have learned more about cameras and a instrument I never heard of before :)

As the first part of the piano scene is rendering, on a old spare computer which should take about a week using 3 cores, I am about to start on the behind the scenes of the movie "Zakiya 1" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15545&start=20#p43390 as I now got a camera from punkduck which is more expensive than the movie itself ;)
Mindfront

Postby punkduck » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:22 pm

Mindfront wrote:Make music with MakeHuman :D I can not play any instrument :cry: and it's impressive to see those who can. The hurdy-gurdy have a very special great sound and it's enjoyable to watch Patty Gurdy demonstrations and impressive they could do this advanced instrument so long ago. Now I have learned more about cameras and a instrument I never heard of before :)

As the first part of the piano scene is rendering, on a old spare computer which should take about a week using 3 cores, I am about to start on the behind the scenes of the movie "Zakiya 1" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15545&start=20#p43390 as I now got a camera from punkduck which is more expensive than the movie itself ;)

Well it is never too late to start playing an instrument. I was about 26 when I first tried a guitar ... this might be too late to play classical music, but for e.g. shoegazer and other styles it was sufficient. When I do a scene I always must do a little research. Just a hint: connect cables to your camera when you are outside, otherwise I must send the newest version with the battery-pack :D
punkduck

Postby Mindfront » Tue May 01, 2018 6:58 pm

punkduck wrote:Just a hint: connect cables to your camera when you are outside, otherwise I must send the newest version with the battery-pack :D
Or the camera can use wireless power 8-) It should be real fun to try your camera, as soon all actors are ready. "Big Head" is next.
Mindfront

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery