Hot Makehuman summer

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: Hot Makehuman summer

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:28 pm

Aranuvir wrote:Great work again, I really love it.

Though, this year's topic should be "Wet summer", it's raining cats and dogs...

Rain must be nice. What's it like?

Today's forecast warmish and sunny with a high at only 41.6667 C, currently a chilly 31.1111 C. UV Index: extreme.

Then again when it rains hard around here flash floods can tend to kill people.

Enjoy the rain.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby punkduck » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:44 pm

wolgade wrote:Yet another female swimsuit. It took way too long to finish this and missed release last summer.
pool.jpg

Available in the user repo: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/clothes/f_swimsuit_02.html

Looks good. How did you do the ponytail?

About the weather in Europe: Germany had floodings in the North because of rain. On the other side: France, Portugal, Croatia are fighting forest fires because of dryness ... and I've a lot of time to complete my Wonderwoman character instead of going outside and doing reasonable things .... :roll:
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:54 pm

punkduck wrote:Looks good. How did you do the ponytail?

Screenshot.jpg

I started with combing the hair basically in the right direction. I also added a torus to the scene. The torus helps to know where exactly to concentrate the hair. The next step is time consuming.

You can select a single hair by pressing "L". Do this, push the selected hair in the middle of the torus with the comb brush. You might have to reduce "deflect emitter" to be able to do it. After your finished with this hair press "h". This is similar to Edit Mode and hides the finished hair. This is very useful, because otherwise it's almost impossible to select the specic hair that needs to be corrected.

Now repeat these steps for the remaining 199 hairs. :shock: This is as annoying as it sounds. I also made the mistake not to lower "deflect emitter" when needed. As a result I had to do the whole procedure three times before getting what I was after.

As a last step after unhiding (Alt+h) all hairs, I selected (b) all hair points on the backside of the head and pushed them closer to the head by translating them in y-direction.

One serious advice: Save often. Especially the last step will destroy all your previous work if you accidentally forgot to turn off "deflect emitter". If I had to do this again, I'd start with less than 200 hairs. You can manually add hair later where needed and Blender can interpolate these added hairs.
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:12 pm

wolgade wrote:The torus helps to know where exactly to concentrate the hair.

I also made the mistake not to lower "deflect emitter" when needed. As a result I had to do the whole procedure three times before getting what I was after.

Hmm, interresting, a hairy problem ;) . I first hoped that there is something like a "collision method". In a way the same method I used to hide (part of) the hair under the aero-helmet, but I'm not selecting single hairs, I'm using the boxed-selection in Blender. The only thing I would do in another way is to use a frontal hair partical system not going through the torus and one for the hair in the back. I also have to reduce the deflection always, otherwise my girls look rather tousled :mrgreen:

Thanx for the information! :D
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:23 pm

punkduck wrote:I first hoped that there is something like a "collision method".

Wait! You asked me how I did it. You didn't ask about the most clever method to do a ponytail. In this case my answer would have been: I have no idea. There are tons of tutorials about particle hair in Blender, but when it comes to advanced stuff it gets very silent. The collision method sounds interesting. Another idea might be to have the torus emit a force field.
wolgade

Postby wolgade » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:37 pm

I recycled a scene I did last year.
beach.jpg

And now I know that I need to fine tune the swimsuit material before the node setup can be published.
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:25 pm

wolgade wrote:I recycled a scene I did last year.
beach.jpg

And now I know that I need to fine tune the swimsuit material before the node setup can be published.

Hmm, not only the swimsuit. I am very jealous, when I see the blond hair color. I did never achieve something like that ... could you also publish the node setup for the hair? That would be great.
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Blondes are challenging. What I did: I changed the color of the hair along the strands.
node_setup.png

This bakes the question: Why should blonde hair change it's properties along the strands. Is this physically correct? Some change along the strand could be explained by environmental influences. The closer to the tip parts have been exposed to them longer than those close to the root.

But this is quite an abrupt change in color. Why does this look convincing? The answer is in my opinion that a lot of blonde women are not so by nature. We're so used to these fake blondes and how they look, that we expect darker hair roots. It's a bit the same story as with strawberry youghurt, where the flavour comes from anything but strawberries. You're so used to this artificial stuff that you are disappointed when you get to taste the real thing.

Back to hair: The ponytail including all materials can be found in the brand new custom content section of the user repo: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/content/ponytail01.html
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:24 pm

wolgade wrote:Blondes are challenging. What I did: I changed the color of the hair along the strands.

This bakes the question: Why should blonde hair change it's properties along the strands. Is this physically correct? Some change along the strand could be explained by environmental influences. The closer to the tip parts have been exposed to them longer than those close to the root.

But this is quite an abrupt change in color. Why does this look convincing? The answer is in my opinion that a lot of blonde women are not so by nature. We're so used to these fake blondes and how they look, that we expect darker hair roots. It's a bit the same story as with strawberry youghurt, where the flavour comes from anything but strawberries. You're so used to this artificial stuff that you are disappointed when you get to taste the real thing.

Okay, thanx a lot. You use a wooden texture to influence it, somewhere I've seen that before ;) . Well I do the color change also for my Dani model (Leska as well). For Dani it does not work, it is visible but does not look convincing. I will try your setup and will present the result (if I like it). For my Dani-model I had pictures with nearly golden hair and also something between grey and green and white, so it depends from the light setup of the photographer.

I googled a little and got the following answer: Natural hair color change is done by oxidation (UV light) & humidity (rain, sweat), the color could reach a range from middle to light blond. It also works for other colors, but it is not visible in the same form, pheomelanin (blond, red hair) seems to react in another way than eumelanin (black, brown hair).

But you are right. It is common to "help the nature" a bit ... like only coloring highlights https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Straight_hair_with_highlights.jpg. In this case it does look rather natural and not like platinum blonde.

For strawberry yogurt (or yoghurt or yoghourt ... just looked into leo.org ... we got this word from the Turks btw. ;) ) I buy strawberries and a natural yogurt. Best in summer of course ... :mrgreen:
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:50 pm

punkduck wrote:You use a wooden texture to influence it, somewhere I've seen that before ;)

I'm sure you did. I got this idea from a good particle hair tutorial. I don't think that I ever published anything that could be called entirely my idea. We all benefit from other people's ideas and work and from their kindness to share the knowledge. BTW: The wooden texture is part of a cutting board from my kitchen. I don't know whether I photographed it or put it on the scanner, but either way this texture is free from any third party rights.
punkduck wrote:Natural hair color change is done by oxidation (UV light) & humidity (rain, sweat), the color could reach a range from middle to light blond. It also works for other colors, but it is not visible in the same form, pheomelanin (blond, red hair) seems to react in another way than eumelanin (black, brown hair).

You did much more research than I did. I simply assumed that hair color could be altered by environmental influences. This assumption seems to be true. Thanks for sharing your research. I'll have to google on pheomelanin and eumelanin. Might be the key to why blondes have more fun, but are more difficult to do.
punkduck wrote:For strawberry yogurt

I don't buy this stuff. One of my other hobbies is cooking. I like the real thing, not these artificial (in Germany officially called natural) flavours. Google yourself how these "natural flavours" are done, but make sure not to vomit right into your keyboard . Well, this is very off topic.
wolgade

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery