I like Nate's leather jacket

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

I like Nate's leather jacket

Postby blindsaypatten » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:33 pm

Leather jackets really add character to a character.
AsianPunk.png
blindsaypatten

Re: I like Nate's leather jacket

Postby punkduck » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Yes it looks good. I tried the jacket yesterday. The vertices of the jacket are placed in a remarkable manner. I've never seen something like that.
And I found a few smaller flaws near the collar. But the asset itself is very good. The textures could be reduced to the jacket itself to save a few bytes, but really, who cares ...

The jacket also works for female characters as long as you not exaggerate the cupsizes.

But maybe I should create a skinny jeans for men also ... (510 versus 711 ... if you know what I mean :mrgreen: )
punkduck

Postby o4saken » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:40 am

wow, that actually does look pretty impressive.
o4saken

Postby blindsaypatten » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:48 pm

punkduck wrote:But maybe I should create a skinny jeans for men also ... (510 versus 711 ... if you know what I mean :mrgreen: )

Turning on the grid and setting the T-pose is interesting.
1) Interesting mesh pattern
2) Some misassigned vertices
3) The tight jeans reacted in an interesting way to my adding a man bulge to the human mesh.
JacketGrid.png

Turning on smooth is also interesting. I removed the jeans so you could see the underlying contours.
JacketSmoothGrid.png
blindsaypatten

Postby punkduck » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:16 pm

blindsaypatten wrote:
2) Some misassigned vertices
3) The tight jeans reacted in an interesting way to my adding a man bulge to the human mesh.

3) If you take the standing03 pose for a female character the middle of the crotch also becomes v-shaped. The seam between the left and right part of the jeans is assigned to the mid vertex group. And it is geometry to make the seam visible, not a normal map, so these are two edge-loops. When there is less space between the legs the problem will appear. A man bulge or even "genital volume" will make this also visible.

2) This is also happening with some clothes I made, for vintage top it works. But the uniform jacket is showing the same behaviour. The bigger the sleeve is, the more you will get distortion, I guess.

Well the last answer in "clothing color mess up" seems to be a good hint. If I do not use the left, right and mid groups, but instead will use e.g. left_arm, right_arm groups on cloth and helper, maybe I can predict the behaviour doing poses in a better way? I'm not sure, but I've to try it. Especially a poncho shirt might be something which needs these kinds of groups. I googled for some of these. Seems to be a good idea for my next piece of cloth, at least when I see the models in the net. I will definitely try it virtually ;)

May be if it works, I could create a new helper with more groups ...
punkduck

Postby blindsaypatten » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:55 pm

punkduck wrote:May be if it works, I could create a new helper with more groups ...

If you are free to create as many groups as you want, then, in the extreme case, you can actually manually assign each vertex, so it should be possible to address a lot of the issues we've seen. Just having a separate crotch group would help a lot, and separate limb groups should help a lot.
blindsaypatten

Postby punkduck » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:18 pm

blindsaypatten wrote:
If you are free to create as many groups as you want, then, in the extreme case, you can actually manually assign each vertex, so it should be possible to address a lot of the issues we've seen. Just having a separate crotch group would help a lot, and separate limb groups should help a lot.

I did not make a poncho shirt, it is only possible with cloth simulation, because this piece of cloth slides on the arms in some way. Or you have to build it like the vader cape of Grinsegold in different poses. But I played with own groups and maybe you are interested in the result. And I detected a problem, which I never really was aware of:

When you load a mesh with helpers, then by default only skirt and the tights contain the vertex groups left, right and mid. When you accidentally press the button "create vertex groups" with some or all faces selected on the human, eyes or whatever instead of your clothing, then the problem starts. I don't know, how often that was happening to me ...

Well for my new off-shoulder shirt I duplicated the groups to become leftoffshoulder, rightoffshoulder, midoffshoulder only on the tights and my new piece of cloth. Then I deselected some vertices (see picture).
right_group.jpg

It works a lot better now. I could also have taken the upper part of the tights and a few upper edge-loops of the skirt btw. ...

I like the result, especially that this piece of cloth does not use any delete groups. Advantage is, that it has no pattern, which can be distorted, and the normal map deforms in a good way. Here are some poses:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/sites/default/files/clothes/1665/1609259564/offshoulder_top_example.jpg
punkduck

Postby blindsaypatten » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:08 pm

punkduck wrote:I like the result, especially that this piece of cloth does not use any delete groups. Advantage is, that it has no pattern, which can be distorted, and the normal map deforms in a good way. Here are some poses:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/sites/default/files/clothes/1665/1609259564/offshoulder_top_example.jpg

Those clothes look great, very realistic.

Perhaps you can explain the glossy skin issue to me. It seems to me that what gets imported into Blender should have little or no gloss on the skin. Glossy skin is a special case that shouldn't be default. I know I can go in and adjust parameters, but who is being served by defaulting to glossy skin? I haven't figured out hair gloss yet, just that it shouldn't shine like a solid surface.

No matter what angle I look at my screen at the hair seems pretty darn black. I do like the strands of out of place hair where it's not solid, when I look at photographs there is a lot of this and it catches a lot of light.
blindsaypatten

Postby punkduck » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:53 pm

blindsaypatten wrote:
Those clothes look great, very realistic.

Perhaps you can explain the glossy skin issue to me. It seems to me that what gets imported into Blender should have little or no gloss on the skin. Glossy skin is a special case that shouldn't be default. I know I can go in and adjust parameters, but who is being served by defaulting to glossy skin? I haven't figured out hair gloss yet, just that it shouldn't shine like a solid surface.

No matter what angle I look at my screen at the hair seems pretty darn black. I do like the strands of out of place hair where it's not solid, when I look at photographs there is a lot of this and it catches a lot of light.

This time the hair is nearly black because I needed the contrast this way. It is all okay with your equipment. And I like girls with dark hair, it makes them in some way "mysterious" ;)

Glossy skin and hair: I figured out it is a Blender-importer issue in the "fashion render" thread. Here it is:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13770&start=24

Mindfront is supplying AO Maps (like for the jacket). I don't do it, because I'm to lazy and the clothes I do I always have to change in Blender. There I add subdivision surface and I normally supply "metal-like materials" for rings, zipper etc.

There are no normal maps and ambient occlusion maps for the skin and the hair also.

And without an AO-map supplied the importer uses the diffuse color for the color input of the glossy shader. Typical I use white for the diffuse entry to make the texture fully visible, other people use grey and then you get these weird effects.

I normally connect the output of the diffuse-texture of the skin to the glossy shader and add some displacement. I also experimented with a normal map.

Without changing the code of the importer try this: if you want absolutely no glossiness, supply the skin with an AO map (I guess even an 64x64 pixel map should be sufficient, if not take 1024x1024), which is totally black or take a dark grey then there is some glossiness. Create a new material using the old normal skin .mhmat file and add this tiny black texture as an AO-map in the material editor. Save the material with a new name.

In between I've got access to download and to change the source code of the importer. But I may only do a bit work there, the rest of Thomas Larsson's code (rigging and all the stuff) is yet far away from my own knowledge ... and even then, I don't know if it will be merged to the official version or not ...
punkduck

Postby cspid » Sun May 21, 2017 2:31 am

Hello! Where can I find this jacket to download?

Thanks!
cspid

Next

Return to Gallery