pose problems

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

pose problems

Postby jjones » Sun May 30, 2021 1:24 am

I am experimenting with creating poses in Blender and exporting them to makehuman.

Attached in pose.jpg you can see the pose I have in mind:

pose.jpg

I've also attached the blender file.

I export this to bvh format (also attached)

pondertalk.zip
(3.07 MiB) Downloaded 429 times

But when I use it in makehuman, it comes out wrong.

wrongpose.jpg

Thanks for any advice
jjones

Re: pose problems

Postby jwc » Mon May 31, 2021 5:45 am

Your bvh file includes 250 frames, while a pose file is only a single frame
This can be seen in the bvh file on the line at the end of the bone definitions: "Frames: 250"

When you export a pose from blender, set the start and end frame values to the same value so that only one frame (which is the pose you want) is exported.
I'm guessing you left the start and end values at the blender default 1 and 250
jwc

Postby jjones » Mon May 31, 2021 2:49 pm

jwc wrote:Your bvh file includes 250 frames, while a pose file is only a single frame
This can be seen in the bvh file on the line at the end of the bone definitions: "Frames: 250"

When you export a pose from blender, set the start and end frame values to the same value so that only one frame (which is the pose you want) is exported.
I'm guessing you left the start and end values at the blender default 1 and 250

Ok, I corrected that, but it still behaves the same way....

ponder2.zip
single frame
(3.03 MiB) Downloaded 419 times
jjones

Postby jwc » Mon May 31, 2021 11:13 pm

The FAQ:How can I create poses?
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/FAQ:How_can_I_create_poses%3F
has the basic steps to make a pose.

Note that the FAQ doesn't mention moving the bones must be in the pose mode, not the editor.
Note also that the default skeleton must be in the default pose, as the changes are applied relative to that pose. So you can't start with an existing modified pose.
See: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18700&hilit=pose+default+skeleton for a short discussion of this issue.

Can you tell where you deviated from these steps?
It is possible you didn't start with a default Makehuman skeleton (first 3 steps), or that you used the blender armature editor instead of the pose mode to make your pose (step 4).
jwc

Postby jjones » Mon May 31, 2021 11:44 pm

Thank you, I think my mistake may be that I made an initial pose in blender, imported that to makehuman, then exported that makehuman again and imported that second one to blender, then perfected the pose more in blender, exported it to a pose again. Maybe with all the translations back and forth it got messed up.

Also I'm such a newbie that I don't know how to answer your questions, but it's very possible I moved the bones in the wrong mode. So, I'll just probably start over.

Thank you for taking time to answer this.
jjones

Postby joepal » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:42 am

There is a problem with the roundtrip blender->mh->blender->mh. What you get from MH are modified default bone positions, not a blender pose. From blender's point of view, the imported character is in rest pose, even if you set a pose in MH. Thus, when you rotate a limb on a character, what blender sees is the difference between the rig as imported from MH and the current state in blender.

Obviously, it would have been nice if the imported rig in blender ended up in a blender pose rather than in a modified rest pose, but we haven't been able to solve the math involved in this.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby jwc » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:21 am

As Joel mentions, the return to Blender with the modified pose causes MakeHuman to only see the second changes as if they were applied to a rest pose.

The easiest solution is to simply return to the first blender file (hopefully you still have it) and make the second set of changes to it.
Since this file was started from the rest pose, the exported BVH will have all of the differences and should work.

Glad we could help, and welcome to MakeHuman.
jwc

Postby Elvaerwyn » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:38 pm

Greetings Thomas,

It appears as though bones may have been moved while in the wrong mode of blender, such as object mode not edit mode etc. Possibly start with a fresh file as the poster has and see if this may be a possibility?

Elv.
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Return to Community discussions