Installing a Pose

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Installing a Pose

Postby jonbondy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:26 pm

I went to this web page

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/poses.html

and downloaded the "wall climbing pose 1" BVH file. I put it in the

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\makehuman-community\makehuman\data\poses

folder. When I start MH, the pose is not available.

What am I missing please?

Thanks!

Jon
jonbondy

Re: Installing a Pose

Postby loki1950 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:33 am

Try C:\Users\username\My Documents\makehuman\v1py3\data\poses that is where the code within makehuman expects it the \Appdata location is only present on windows not Linux or OSX our code has to work on all three platforms.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby jonbondy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:43 am

Thank you for your help.

The location I used initially is full of BVH, Thumb, and Meta files. The location you specified is entirely empty. Under Windows 10. I copied my new BVH file into "your" folder and restarted MH. The new pose is still not present.

BTW, when I scroll with the mouse wheel over the list of poses, they do not move. I have to drag the thumb manually. Not a big deal, but the UI could be improved.

So. I still cannot get the new pose to become visible in the MH pose list.

Any other suggestions please?

How can the web page full of poses be useful to anyone if they cannot be installed? Perhaps this works on systems other than Windows.
jonbondy

Postby Elvaerwyn » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:36 pm

Greetings,
I personally use windows 10, and in past windows 7. I have never had issues with poses not loading. I do, nowadays, have a specialized custom installation due to an overabundance of assets though. At any rate the documents/makehuman/v1py3/data/poses as loki stated is the proper place to put the poses.

Out of curiosity did you try download any assets using the included asset downloader inside of makehuman? If so where did the items get placed and did they load for you? Do other custom assets load?

In regards to the scroll did you try to scroll with mouse inside of the scroll bar itself, sometimes that works- as workaround and you don't have to click and drag.

BTW also, the reason the custom folder is empty is due to there being no custom data installed yet, the other location you mention is for the poses shipped with makehuman proper.
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby jonbondy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:15 pm

The "poses" web page that I mentioned is part of the MH community, so I expected that the pose I downloaded would work. Or at least be visible as an option in the list of poses. But it is not.

I found the same pose in the downloadable assets, and that does work.

Note that in the list of assets, the <down arrow> key does not move the focused row down. It would have been very useful to be able to scroll through the poses, looking at examples visually, but this is not possible.

Thanks for pointing me to the assets

Jon
jonbondy

Postby RobBaer » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:07 am

There seems to be a little understandable confusion about where additional assets are located on Windows. I think it has to do with how the MH install was done.

Built in poses on Windows will typically be found in
C:\Program Files\makehuman-community\makehuman\data\poses (if you installed on C: drive)

If you install for "all users" (in my mind the way to go unless you lack rights), pose assets will go in
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\makehuman\v1py3\data\poses

If you install for "myself only", some pose assets (the built in ones, I think) get put in
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\makehuman-community\makehuman\data\poses

Looks like OP installed for "myself only" so that where I'd think he/she is finding built-in assets.

The pose web page IS part of MAKEHUMAN but using it requires that you do a number of things all CORECTLY or the end result may not work.

As Elv suggested, using the asset downloader is designed so you get a working result automatically. Give it a try. You will find it on Community | download assets tabs. The first time you use it you will need to synchronize (lower right of the window). This may take a little bit of time, but after that you can update to get the latest and greatest poses almost instantly. Same ones as on the web site because it points at same database. Way easier than by hand.
RobBaer

Postby jonbondy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:42 am

Ah! The assets point to the same resources as the Pose web page? Perhaps it would be worth while adding something like "the easiest way to download and install these files is to use the Assets feature built into MH" to the Poses web page.
jonbondy

Postby Elvaerwyn » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:51 pm

jonbondy wrote:Ah! The assets point to the same resources as the Pose web page? Perhaps it would be worth while adding something like "the easiest way to download and install these files is to use the Assets feature built into MH" to the Poses web page.

Greetings,
Glad you figured out the method that works for you! It was however suggested to you to use this method ;).
Btw it does say on the download page that the internal download system is advisable, however it is very much up to the individual user how to proceed with downloading and installing items into their own personal computers!
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/conte ... loads.html
*More assets for MakeHuman can be found in the online repository. Using MakeHuman 1.2.x you can download these assets from within the application.***
Good luck going forward with your artistic endeavors, and always feel free to be involved in the community :D
Elv
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby jonbondy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:59 pm

Thanks.

It is nice to know that the user is instructed to use Assets somewhere.

I was speaking about this page in particular:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/poses.html

On THIS page it would be nice if it said, essentially, "if you use this page, you are making life much harder on yourself than you need to. Go use Assets in MH. It is easier and less time consuming".

Thanks to this community, I was able to do what I needed to do.

Jon
jonbondy

Return to Community discussions