Disabling subdivision modifier in blender import

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Disabling subdivision modifier in blender import

Postby DrHell » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:26 am

Good morning,

TL;DR
I need to disable the automatic insertion of the subdivision modifier.
Is there a way to do that?
Thanks.

Long version

Some pieces of clothes, particularly complex, make my blender crash when I import them.
Namely, it uses up all my 4GB memory (of which 2.7GB free) and 4GB of swap and then Blender crashes
Investigating, the reason for that is exactly the existence of the subdivision modifier on some specific, and polygon high, pieces of clothes.
Indeed when I import the model, with the same pieces of clothes, directly using another format, Blender does that fine.
And it works fine even when I import it in makeclothes2.

One might wonder why I don't simply import the model using one of the other formats, since it works.
Sadly every other format has some drwaback.
Collada, for some reason, results incredibly messed up during rendering.
FBX sometimes messes with some textures.
OBJ works perfectly, but it makes a single mesh, so if I want then to add a subdivision modifier to the body, I can't (it will end up subdividing the aforementioned piece of clothes too, and crash Blender)
Blender is updated to the last version (2.9something)
Makehuman is updated to 1.2.0
Adding more RAM is not an option (I mean, I'm thinking about it, but if it eats 2.7GB or more for a single piece of clothes, I can't think of working with more complex scenes even if I reach 8GB) and anyway I prefer a consistent solution.

Thanks
DrHell

Re: Disabling subdivision modifier in blender import

Postby punkduck » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi
I dunno I had to approve this posting?! Anyway: you already answered your own question.

Just a small hint:

If you use either mhx2 or MPFB for export, always switch off subdivision surface (or smoothing) in MakeHuman(!).

MPFB normally fetches the mesh which is presented by MakeHuman, which is in case of smoothing a mesh with 4 times as much vertices.
Triangle meshes are no longer smoothed, because the algorithm was not correct for the UVs.

Only use smoothing in Blender if needed, it also has the better algorithm for UVs.
Especially when you use exports with skeletons, posing is a problem (because of 4 times as much vertices).

Use smoothing for rendering and not for viewing (so you can set one value to 0 in viewport and the other to 2) ...
punkduck

Postby joepal » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:12 pm

It should be possible to disable or configure the subdiv functionality in the latest mpfb, but you need to download a version later than the one that was shipped with mh 1.2.0.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby fake_Person » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:07 am

you can auto do this. unsmooth your model first
then
Attachments
bandicam 2020-12-13 20-05-45-689.png
14 year old deadbeat http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature#
fake_Person

Return to Community discussions