Stupid newbie question - how to find the targets?

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Stupid newbie question - how to find the targets?

Postby thomekk » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:19 am

First:
Hello to all,

I've been using MakeHuman since version 1.1 and it's such a great piece of work! Thanks so much to all of you!
I've downloaded version 1.2 and got it working here on Windows.
I've downloaded some assets via the community download, worked fine.
Now my stupid question:
Where to find the downloaded targets inside MakeHuman?
I would like to see them, but did not find them for now.

Any help is very welcome! 8-)

EDIT:
Ok, found it : )
I use the german language variation of MH. And it was at "Modellieren"/"Eigene Modifikationen"
thomekk

Re: Stupid newbie question - how to find the targets?

Postby Ricardo2020 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:50 am

Targets are placed inside the custom directory. You download and unzip them into that directory and they will appear in the custom tab of MH. You might have to restart MH if you update the folder while it is running, but usually all you need to do is select a different tab and then reselect the custom tab. It should refresh the targets automatically.

Targets are tricky business. There are many of them for mamy tasks and some interact better than others. Also, some of them do strange things when certain skins and lights are selected and then rendered. It is an adventure to find the target combinations which work for a given situation.

For instance, many morphs for breasts have been made. Some adjust the size. Others do the shape. Still more tweak the way gravity tugs on them. All of these targets affect each other and one must use them sparingly (keep the target control fader toward the left...)

Some targets are stronger than others. There are a few which will completely override others or have strange results when combined on the same model. Good examples of these targets are global boneless body shape modifiers since they adjust large portions of the mesh.

Targets can be made in Blender using the Make Target tool. Although I cannot explain the work flow (since I have yet to try it), I have observed the creations of those who know the ropes and can blend without effort.
Last edited by Ricardo2020 on Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paddle faster. I hear charango music!
Ricardo2020

Postby thomekk » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:14 am

Thanks a lots Ricardo,

and I see, this can get complicated, but is also very fascinating on the other hand to me. I downloaded some very interesting, partly bizarre targets and played around with them, which really was fun.
I guess there is lots of potential for character design and besides smaller tweaks, there can very unusual things be done. The real test will be certainly if they can be used further after export.
thomekk

Postby Ricardo2020 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:36 pm

You are most welcome. I am glad to be of service. To answer your query concerning targets and exports:

When a model is saved and exported, any mods to the base mesh travel with the model, but the target settings are welded in place. It is possible to load said model and do further targeting, but the results might be not what one expects.

As to what can be done with targets outside the normal small tweaks they offer, it is indeed possible to make such huge adjustments to the mesh that it no longer resembles a human. I have seen dogs, cats, aliens, etc. The possibilities are endless...
Paddle faster. I hear charango music!
Ricardo2020

Return to Community discussions