Other people 3D Printing MakeHuman Characters?

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Other people 3D Printing MakeHuman Characters?

Postby blindsaypatten » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:09 am

Happy Holidays Everyone!

I now have a 3D printer to play with and have been experimenting with printing MakeHuman-generated models. I'm just wondering if there's someone else out there with experience with doing this?

So far I've printed a couple complete figures, plus a face, a head/bust, and some slices to try specific things. For clothes I've only got as far as a speedo, and even that took a while to figure out how to do. I think I had underestimated the complexity of making sure there are no unsupported overhangs, and the auto-generated supports aren't a silver bullet. Ah well, it's a learning experience!

Anyway, if there's anyone else 3D printing I would love to hear about your experiences and lessons learned. Also, if anyone has any ideas for prints that are so outrageously cool that I won't be able to resist printing them, let me know!

By the way, Cura is a free "slicing" program, and shows how something will get printed, even without a printer, it can be fun to play with.
blindsaypatten

Re: Other people 3D Printing MakeHuman Characters?

Postby javherre » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:54 pm

blindsaypatten wrote:Happy Holidays Everyone!

I now have a 3D printer to play with and have been experimenting with printing MakeHuman-generated models. I'm just wondering if there's someone else out there with experience with doing this?

So far I've printed a couple complete figures, plus a face, a head/bust, and some slices to try specific things. For clothes I've only got as far as a speedo, and even that took a while to figure out how to do. I think I had underestimated the complexity of making sure there are no unsupported overhangs, and the auto-generated supports aren't a silver bullet. Ah well, it's a learning experience!

Anyway, if there's anyone else 3D printing I would love to hear about your experiences and lessons learned. Also, if anyone has any ideas for prints that are so outrageously cool that I won't be able to resist printing them, let me know!

By the way, Cura is a free "slicing" program, and shows how something will get printed, even without a printer, it can be fun to play with.

Hola espero que puedas traducir bien esta respuesta es español.
A mi me pasa igual estoy desde hace un mes haciendo pruebas en mi nueva impresora cr ender 3 con makehuman, en general bien pero tengo muchos problemas con la cara de los personajes. Si exporto los personajes sin dentadura sale mal, pero si exporto con ella tambien sale mal. Voy a ver si te incluyo una imagen con Cura.
estamos en contacto,
gracias y saludos
javherre

Postby joepal » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:48 am

I now have a 3D printer to play with and have been experimenting with printing MakeHuman-generated models.

This sounds like a lot of fun. Any chance we could see some photos of your results so far?

I haven't actually ever worked with a 3d printer myself, but I hear there are some decent addons for blender that could help.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby blindsaypatten » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:56 am

Here are some prints of things I made with MakeHuman:
3Dprints.jpg

These are all basically test prints, for example I messed up the shoulders on the full-body model due to misconceptions on my part, the chins on the left are messed up because I printed them without supports, the ear on the right is also slightly messed up due to lack of support, which is unneeded at the smaller scale but needed at this larger scale. The need for supports has been the biggest complication so far.

Si exporto los personajes sin dentadura sale mal, pero si exporto con ella tambien sale mal.

So far I have just been deleting the interior mouth mesh and then filling the resulting mouth opening. This is no problem for closed or nearly closed mouths.

I'm currently working on ways to make hair.
blindsaypatten

Postby joepal » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:15 am

Cool :-)

I'm currently working on ways to make hair.

Maybe it'd be possible to simply apply a solidify modifier to the existing hair styles? Or does everything need to be a single joined mesh to be printed?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby blindsaypatten » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:16 pm

joepal wrote:Maybe it'd be possible to simply apply a solidify modifier to the existing hair styles? Or does everything need to be a single joined mesh to be printed?

If you turn wireframe on in MH you get an idea of the geometry, using the material editor to set the hair material to the default skin material is even better. For the most part the existing hair relies on the image texture applied to smooth surfaces or strips, whereas a printed version needs geometry-based texture. Looking at the existing hair, Short02 seems like the closest to something printable.

You don't need a single mesh, multiple solid objects just get merged, at least using CURA for slicing. This makes manually adding supports a lot easier.

Here's a Bruce Lee model that I downloaded, mostly for the hair. I'm not sure if it is digitally sculpted or scanned from a physical sculpture.
BruceLeeBustWhite.jpg

I saw a video where they made hair from something that looked like particle hair but with something other than Blender, based on making really thick hairs. I'm currently trying that out.
blindsaypatten

Postby joepal » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:25 am

This approach for hair should work fine with printing too, I think: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16804 .. at least after having converted the curves to mesh.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby nuevonew » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:53 pm

Hello, with my 3D printer I have managed to make the characters and they have been very good. regards
nuevonew

Postby MTKnife » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:42 am

I've thought about it, though I find the challenge of making a manifold model that includes clothes a little intimidating.
MTKnife

Return to Community discussions