Should version 1.1.x and 1.2.x share data location?

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Should the upcoming version use the same user file folder as 1.1.x?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:56 am

Yes. Both 1.1.x and 1.2.x should use makehuman/v1 and thus see each other's data even if saved files are not always compatible
67%
No. Keep the separation between the two, and have users manually copying data if needed.
33%
I don't care. I won't use both versions at the same time anyway.
No votes

Total votes : 9

Should version 1.1.x and 1.2.x share data location?

Postby joepal » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:56 am

Up until now we have had different locations for makehuman user files (such as saved files and downloaded assets) depending on if you use the stable release or if you use a build for the upcoming release ("makehuman/v1" vs "makehuman/v1py3").

Now there's a discussion on whether we should keep this separation, or if we should go back to "makehuman/v1" when making the next stable release.

The argument for using the same folder for both versions is that the file formats are mostly unchanged, and thus it doesn't make sense to have to copy data between the two.

The argument for using separate folders is that this is how it has looked for quite a while now, and while all assets have the same format, files saved from 1.2.x won't be possible to open in 1.1.x.

So what are your thoughts? Should we use the same folder for both versions?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Should version 1.1.x and 1.2.x share data location?

Postby blindsaypatten » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:36 pm

Would it make sense to put the version folder at the level where things are different? If it is just the .mhm files then models_v1 and models_v12 or whatever.

Actually, I mostly don't save my .mhm files in the default directory as it would get too big and confusing.

Having two copies of all the asset files would be a pain.
blindsaypatten

Postby Aranuvir » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:53 pm

As it turns out, there will only be problems with the model files, atm. Best solution is creating subfolders in the models directory (or at another appropriate location) to separate those files. This should be done by the user not by the application.
Aranuvir

Postby yumri23 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:01 am

I am of the versions should not share a location as the data for models and save files are not backwards compatible. Unless you can have the makehuman 1.1.1 not see the makehuman 1.2.x files it will just lead to user confusion and frustration. Keeping it as ./v1 and ./v1py3 is good i guess or go to ./v1 and ./v2 though that will make it seem like the second number is a version number not the first so ./v1py3 might be the best for the less computer savy people who use makehuman.
yumri23

Return to Community discussions