Operating System Survey

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Which is your primary Operating System, MakeHuman is running on?

Windows
49%
macOS
8%
Linux (any Distribution)
43%

Total votes : 51

Operating System Survey

Postby Aranuvir » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:23 pm

For further focus on development, we would like to know on which operating system MakeHuman is primary used. If you're running more than one operating system, please select the system that is most important for you.
Aranuvir

Re: Operating System Survey

Postby bogdan666 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:08 am

Windows is best as many Game Engines have difficulties with Linux etc.
bogdan666

Postby joepal » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:55 am

The question wasn't which OS is best. The question was which operating system people actually use when working with makehuman specifically.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby jcpalmer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:21 pm

Something relevant that I have not scene yet on this forum is that Apple has depreciated OpenGL & OpenCL on all its platforms a few months ago(WebGL not affected). Do not know when this will start to bite, but MakeHuman's days on that platform are perhaps limited.
jcpalmer

Postby Aranuvir » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:42 pm

jcpalmer wrote:Something relevant that I have not scene yet on this forum is that Apple has depreciated OpenGL & OpenCL on all its platforms a few months ago(WebGL not affected). Do not know when this will start to bite, but MakeHuman's days on that platform are perhaps limited.

That's one of the backgrounds of the survey. Currently it looks like it is very hard to almost impossible to support MakeHuman on macOs furthermore. And we would like to know how many users will be affected then.
Aranuvir

Postby punkduck » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:59 pm

Aranuvir wrote:That's one of the backgrounds of the survey. Currently it looks like it is very hard to almost impossible to support MakeHuman on macOs furthermore. And we would like to know how many users will be affected then.

In 2006 I bought my first iMAC. Before I worked with SuSE Linux. This iMAC had an Intel processor, a lot of tools out of the box, but also an X11 adaptation and everything works. I used the best from both worlds.

In 2012 I bought a MAC Mini, I didn't want to go back to Linux, but I wasn't sure so I bought a monitor which fits to a normal PC also. The tools weren't much better, and I had to switch off a lot of processes so that the system didn't stall on an external Harddisk, it did not communicate with Apple every second and didn't scan a photo collection for faces etc. Furthermore I had to registrate to use a system I had bought with my real name.

Blender worked and for MakeHuman I found a way to get the newest version work. It looks that Apple tries to do it the way they are doing before the Intel iMAC. Funny enough they started to do the same crap like windows has done, hiding file extensions ... the effects we see, when Apple User without knowledge that MacOS is unixlike ask questions in this forum.

Try to find these characters {, [, ], } on a German Apple keyboard, Apple doesn't like programmers. They like users paying for programs. Next thing, I guess, would be smart phone buttons on the screen ... windows tried that already ... we know about the success.

So, this year I returned to Linux. There are some bugs also and it was not simple but I did not regret it. In the company I work for, Apple was an alternative for Linux as well. This has changed now. So we have Windows for Office and Linux for all operative systems again.

My small Apple is doing "slave jobs" now. :mrgreen:
punkduck

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:08 pm

It currently seems as it doesn't matter, if we lose support for macOs. Though based on the number off support requests, I assume an amount of 10% of affected users ...
Aranuvir

Postby RobBaer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:42 pm

Aranuvir wrote:It currently seems as it doesn't matter, if we lose support for macOs. Though based on the number off support requests, I assume an amount of 10% of affected users ...

So, I have owned a [used 2013] Macbook Pro for about a year. I bought it because increasing number of my students were Mac users. In fact, last year more students had Macs than PCs for the first time. I needed to support them. My conclusion is that like all OS environments MacOS has its idiosyncrasies, but that it is not intrinsically flawed.

Besides which, buying a used Mac helped me test issues for this forum ... :D

The question on this thread is, "what is your primary system?" I'm sure others besides myself may use more than one system. I'd like to see us continue to support whoever we can as long as there are even 10% of the user base. HOWEVER, THIS COUNTS ON THE VENDER NOT REMOVING CORE LIBRARY SUPPORT or such support will become impractical.
RobBaer

Postby joepal » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:54 am

I linked this post on the facebook page, together with information about the coming lack of support for OpenGL:

https://www.facebook.com/makehuman/post ... ?__tn__=-R

There were a few comments, but not a storm of feedback.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Aranuvir » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:08 am

joepal wrote:I linked this post on the facebook page, together with information about the coming lack of support for OpenGL:

https://www.facebook.com/makehuman/post ... ?__tn__=-R

There were a few comments, but not a storm of feedback.

Not much impact, though. OK, there two votes for Mac. Currently from this results (assuming, those users didn't vote):
Windows: 8 Votes (50%)
macOs: 2 Votes (12,5)
Linux: 6 Votest (37,5%)

Total: 16 Votes
Aranuvir

Next

Return to Community discussions