Use targets with different ages

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Use targets with different ages

Postby porky11 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:24 am

When I write custom targets I sometimes have the problem, that the deformations are the same size, independend of the size of the model.

Can I do something against it?

Here some examples of a tail target. The tail size is even larger for the older person than for the younger person.
Attachments
young.png
old.png
porky11

Re: Use targets with different ages

Postby jujube » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:37 am

Welcome to makehuman!

Hmm, I think one solution to make separate versions of the target for each age group. (If you find the makehuman source code and look at the list of targets, you'll see that there are a huge amount of macro targets, with a unique target for every combination of macro sliders. ) Or you could make "tail shrink"/"tail grow" targets to accompany the original tail target, to manually adjust it to the height of the model.

But I also suspect that if you modeled the tail as clothing, you could get it to properly scale with the thighs, by using custom vertex groups. There is information on how to use vertex groups in MakeClothes scattered throughout the forum.
jujube

Postby joepal » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:54 am

I think you'll be better off making a proxy than a target for large body modifications such as that one.

That way you'll be able to assign a rigid vertex group and select a vertex triangle which is indicative for the scaling.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby porky11 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:22 am

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure yet, what's the best approach (targets, proxies, clothes). I want to create humanoid fantasy creatures, and some of them may share some properties (like a tail), maybe even in different size.
And being able to interpolate between these, would also be good, so I could have some elf (which has elf ears target slider at maximum) and some kind of humanoid with a tail, and their children have a bit elf ears (slider in the middle) and a smaller tail.
I don't think, this is possible with proxies and clothes, since you cannot interpolate (maybe some combination of targets and clothes may be useful).
Especially proxies won't work, when I want to mix multiple things

@jujube
You said something about macro targets. Are these sliders, that change multiple real targets at once? And is it possible to write this myself (so that in this example the tail size will automatically be reduced, when the size or age is changed?)
porky11

Postby RobBaer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:39 pm

porky11 wrote:... macro targets. Are these sliders, that change multiple real targets at once? And is it possible to write this myself (so that in this example the tail size will automatically be reduced, when the size or age is changed?)

Yes, These are essentially the sliders on the modeling Main tab. They don't actually change other targets (sliders) though. They exist independently. The result is that they don't necessarily play nicely with custom targets.

I think Joel was suggesting proxies in the sense of the geometries topologies tab. Topologies are a convenient way to "steal" the effects of macro sliders in a general way without being quite as wed to the starting shape. There might be something to be learned for tails by choosing the Geomtries | Topoologies | adult male genitalia and then going to Modeling | Gender and playing with penis length and circumference (after clicking genitals on left). :D In fact you might not even need to tweak length max much - just add a taper slider.
RobBaer

Postby porky11 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:44 pm

@RobBear
I know about proxies, and told, what the problems are.
porky11

Return to Community discussions