Anime characters from makehuman

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Re: ---

Postby RobBaer » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:39 pm

DredNicolson wrote:I haven't repo'd it yet because I'm unsure of the license on the original. Clear that up for me and I'll be glad to share. 8-)

A tribute to our great community members and their belief in open source. From the bottom of the "How to use" section at http://www.aversionofreality.com/blog/2 ... arget-test:

[Oscalon?] November 16, 2015 wrote:"There is no additional license for this beyond the standard MakeHuman license, so there are basically no restrictions. You don't even have to give me any credit, but I hope you still will."
RobBaer

Re: Anime characters from makehuman

Postby RobBaer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:14 am

And worth mentioning, even though it is not anime per se, is sontg78's community target to "toonify heads", named aptly enough, toonify14. This slider in conjunction various other sliders may be quite useful for creating base shapes that can be morphed and developed into true anime in a downstream application. Take a look at modeling measure as well as the more standard sliders if you decide to try this route.

Developing a series of anime-oriented targets with proper anime proportions might be a group-task that an interested set of anime artists could pursue together. [asymmetric tunic top on image by DredNicolson] The single target approach of Oscalon may ultimately limit flexibility depending what the end-goal is.

Sontg78.png
Roughing out Anime by Hand in MH
RobBaer

---

Postby DredNicolson » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:03 am

DredNicolson

Postby CallHarvey3d » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:24 pm

RobBaer wrote: I found myself wondering if you had suggestions to make your normal workflow from MH to Max more efficient. Your feedback can help us understand where it hurts. :shock:

If you had to pick a realistic top-three that would improve your workflow , what would they be?

As a follow-on question, are there limitations to the .fbx export or .dae export from MH that make your life harder than it needs to be?

i'm actually struggling to find a good answer to these questions at least anything that falls short "make a full set of max plugins" which i understand is probably unrealistic. wishlist 1- makeclothes plugin for max. 2- if 1 isn't possible a mesh "refresh" in blender makeclothes (explained below) 3. .blend file of default rig with ik for faster posing

quick braindump:
A. export to max is fine. there is a lot of work to make the skeleton useable. it is probably possible to write a script to handle the re scaling of the bones and fix that issue and add ik something ill eventually get around to researching

B. i do posing in blender and is not a big deal but i don't know how to set up ik in blender so posing takes much longer than i want it to. if someone made a .blend file of the default character (male and female versions also?) and set up ik and shared that, that would be AMAZING!

C. targets are pretty straight forward i use the maketarget.exe

D. short of making a makeclothes/max plugin being able to refresh that obj in makeclothes would save alot of time. hair,clothes and topologies are really difficult. i have to do the work in max, export obj, import to blender go through the process which isn't too bad but it usually requires two maybe ten attempts to get the model tweaked and working the way i want it which you can't test accept to actually see it working in MH. so you wind up going max->blender->MH -> evaluate-> go back to max for edits->blender->MH rinse and repeat. and i don't know how to make that process better/easier. maybe being able to update the obj in blender after the make clothes process is complete. for example i set up my base mesh and clothes, assign textures, create vertex groups, export, test. make edits to vert positions or uv in max export obj and in blender just replace/update the obj mesh while maintaining the textures and vertgroups. it could be problematic if you added or removed verts but as long as vertex names stay the same it seems like it should be "doable"

i will contemplate this a bit and im sure ill be back with other suggestions :D
CallHarvey3d

Postby joepal » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:37 pm

CallHarvey3d wrote:i'm actually struggling to find a good answer to these questions at least anything that falls short "make a full set of max plugins" which i understand is probably unrealistic.

Having never even started max myself: Is there an open scripting api available for max? That'd be the first hard requirement for an open source plugin.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby CallHarvey3d » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:11 pm

i wish i could answer that but I'm pretty far down the "artist" end of the spectrum. this is maybe why i have a difficult time transitioning to blender. my programer friends and coworkers seem to prefer blender for its flexibility and customize-ability whereas I'm a classic "user" and just prefer things to be intuitive and accessible. i have done little scripting in my time but am generally computer illiterate. i do know there is a python API that I think should allow for that kind of integration.
CallHarvey3d

Postby joepal » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:38 pm

With a quick google, it seems as if there is a python API which has low level access to mesh objects: http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/ENU/ ... 73689bebe9

( Got to love a company that still uses <frameset> html tags btw :-) )

This means that it'd be at least in theory possible to make Max ports of MakeTarget and MakeClothes. It'd be a cute project if someone had the time and inclination to do so.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby brkurt » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:39 pm

CallHarvey3d wrote:
RobBaer wrote: I found myself wondering if you had suggestions to make your normal workflow from MH to Max more efficient. Your feedback can help us understand where it hurts. :shock:

If you had to pick a realistic top-three that would improve your workflow , what would they be?

As a follow-on question, are there limitations to the .fbx export or .dae export from MH that make your life harder than it needs to be?

i'm actually struggling to find a good answer to these questions at least anything that falls short "make a full set of max plugins" which i understand is probably unrealistic. wishlist 1- makeclothes plugin for max. 2- if 1 isn't possible a mesh "refresh" in blender makeclothes (explained below) 3. .blend file of default rig with ik for faster posing

quick braindump:
A. export to max is fine. there is a lot of work to make the skeleton useable. it is probably possible to write a script to handle the re scaling of the bones and fix that issue and add ik something ill eventually get around to researching

B. i do posing in blender and is not a big deal but i don't know how to set up ik in blender so posing takes much longer than i want it to. if someone made a .blend file of the default character (male and female versions also?) and set up ik and shared that, that would be AMAZING!

C. targets are pretty straight forward i use the maketarget.exe

D. short of making a makeclothes/max plugin being able to refresh that obj in makeclothes would save alot of time. hair,clothes and topologies are really difficult. i have to do the work in max, export obj, import to blender go through the process which isn't too bad but it usually requires two maybe ten attempts to get the model tweaked and working the way i want it which you can't test accept to actually see it working in MH. so you wind up going max->blender->MH -> evaluate-> go back to max for edits->blender->MH rinse and repeat. and i don't know how to make that process better/easier. maybe being able to update the obj in blender after the make clothes process is complete. for example i set up my base mesh and clothes, assign textures, create vertex groups, export, test. make edits to vert positions or uv in max export obj and in blender just replace/update the obj mesh while maintaining the textures and vertgroups. it could be problematic if you added or removed verts but as long as vertex names stay the same it seems like it should be "doable"

i will contemplate this a bit and im sure ill be back with other suggestions :D

Here is what you need, a default MH rig with IK where it makes a difference. Note how simple I've kept it! :)
My goal is to create smoother Kung Fu movements, and a little bit of IK goes a long way.

The IK bones are in gun-metal blue:

and here is the rig, in a fairly new version of Blender:

http://www.geekopolis.ca/blender/walk_cycle_models/ginaCaranoIKFK_277a.blend

Have fun! :D
brkurt

Postby spamrakuen » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:15 pm

Here is a sample of my latest .target (SR Anime Female 02)

Its far from perfect.

Helper geometry was ignored so it will be a mess.

You can find it here:
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/targe ... le_02.html
Attachments
makehuman_anime_style.png
makehuman anime style
spamrakuen

Postby spamrakuen » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:48 pm

Custom / Targets:
- SR Anime Female 02b
- SR Anime Female Head Var 01
- SR Anime Female Lips