Mindfront and Punkduck are killing it with content

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Mindfront and Punkduck are killing it with content

Postby CallHarvey3d » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:09 pm

Big thanks to everyone uploading awesome content! It's important to the community to continue sharing and encourage others to share.
Great job guys!
Question to the team is there any big gaps that need to be filled in content? Where/what does the project and community need?
Rock on!
CallHarvey3d

Re: Mindfront and Punkduck are killing it with content

Postby CallHarvey3d » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:11 pm

**moved this here from general.. i need to start reading board descriptions before posting :)
CallHarvey3d

Postby wolgade » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:51 pm

I totally agree. Right now it's simply fireworks and I like fireworks. We haven't seen so much good stuff in such a short time for quite a while. This is true for the user repo, but also for this forum. Not a single day without eye candy. This really gives you reason to check back quite often and of course, the new assets add a lot of value to MH.

BTW: Who's responsible for tagging user repo assets as "High Quality"? There's a lot of tagging to be done. :D
wolgade

Postby joepal » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:57 pm

I'm looking for moderators for that. It'd be helpful to have a few people going through submissions and tagging those few items that merit it either "broken" or "high quality". My intention is that the vast majority of all submissions should remain in a neutral tag so that those items that are really high quality will stand out from the bulk.

I've been meaning to finish the permission setup in the repo to allow for moderator tagging without also giving administrator permission to the rest of the site. I'll get to it eventually. :-)

Meanwhile, is anyone interested in the job?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Aranuvir » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:23 pm

CallHarvey3d wrote:Big thanks to everyone uploading awesome content! It's important to the community to continue sharing and encourage others to share.
Great job guys!

Indeed, though one cannot ignore the great things you have produced for the community :D.

Question to the team is there any big gaps that need to be filled in content? Where/what does the project and community need?
Rock on!

Personally I think, there is a great lack of good mesh hair with hq diffuse and normal/bump maps for pleasing results in cycles...

Concerning the quality: It should really be handed to the community. I think, I had stated this earlier, we should define some minimum criteria for good assets and for high quality assets. We could predefine some models, new assets should be tested against. And we should evaluate if there is more then one material, alpha-masks, normal/bump or glossy maps...
Aranuvir

Postby CallHarvey3d » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:39 pm

one thing to consider in defining/categorizing content is to consider workflow. some people use MH do create a character to place and render while others (myself) use it to prototype characters that i cut up and rebuild outside of MH. Therefore some assets that some might consider unfinished or less important i find to be most useful,crude model set for example.
they give me a general shape and i can more easily customize topology with a crude model than i can with a "finished" model.
Example I'm making a Western Comic that will require lots of jeans, hats and chaps. i make a rough of each import it to MH generate my character set and then finalize each model uv and texture after the fact. that way i get truly original looking characters but save butt loads of time. i love the finished content but please don't lose the more generic stuff in the process.
CallHarvey3d

Postby wolgade » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:10 pm

CallHarvey3d wrote:one thing to consider in defining/categorizing content is to consider workflow. [..] i love the finished content but please don't lose the more generic stuff in the process.

I agree on that. The crude and generic stuff is great to give you something to start with. I wouldn't know the first thing about Blender if MH hadn't provided me with these basic meshes.
Aranuvir wrote:we should define some minimum criteria for good assets and for high quality assets.

This is probably not so easy to do. Especially I don't want anyone to be discouraged from uploading assets. This could happen easily to new people who fear that they don't fulfill the standards. I don't need any standards to recognize an asset like e.g. http://www.makehumancommunity.org/clothes/bandeau_bra.html as high quality, even if it has no normal map, but just diffuse.
wolgade

Postby joepal » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:58 pm

wolgade wrote:
Aranuvir wrote:we should define some minimum criteria for good assets and for high quality assets.

This is probably not so easy to do. Especially I don't want anyone to be discouraged from uploading assets. This could happen easily to new people who fear that they don't fulfill the standards. I don't need any standards to recognize an asset like e.g. http://www.makehumancommunity.org/clothes/bandeau_bra.html as high quality, even if it has no normal map, but just diffuse.

"High quality" should be an exception from the norm. It shouldn't be a label most uploaders should expect to get. And I don't want any guidelines for normal contributions.

I had hoped that the rating system would work as a democratic way to identify the quality of assets, but unfortunately this was a bit naive. Atm pretty much everything has either 5 or 0 stars.

Maybe it'd be possible to think up another democratic system. Maybe such as encouraging users to nominate an asset as high quality in the assets forum, and if enough people agree it can be tagged. (and conversely for broken assets).
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby CallHarvey3d » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:47 pm

one thing to consider there is that we are just getting to a place where we have enough content and a range of quality where the rating system can function correctly. encouraging people to vote is going to help flesh out that data. Until now there was only enough content that it seemed pointless to vote unless you wanted to encourage "more like this" and then you just give 5stars. I wouldn't give up on it yet. In addition to it tags and categories, not just explaining what something is but maybe what function it servers (finished model vs. base model) will help people find what they need and and allow rating based on function a thing. overall i think it will work itself out as designed it just needs more. I'm just very encouraged by new content and new ideas lately. If it continues a repository of accessory models (chairs, phones, guns, swords, etc) might be a thing to consider and if you are doing any restructuring of existing content i would plan for those things as well.
CallHarvey3d

Postby CallHarvey3d » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:49 pm

"Personally I think, there is a great lack of good mesh hair with hq diffuse and normal/bump maps for pleasing results in cycles..."
i just ordered a new Wacom for this purpose ;)
CallHarvey3d

Next

Return to Community discussions