Mindfront and Punkduck are killing it with content

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Re: Mindfront and Punkduck are killing it with content

Postby Aranuvir » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:01 pm

wolgade wrote: Especially I don't want anyone to be discouraged from uploading assets. This could happen easily to new people who fear that they don't fulfill the standards.

That's the least, that should happen. And I didn't want to get crazy with the criteria. I'd use a definition for a good asset, which one might call common sense: is complete (obj-file, some very basic texture, thumbnail), there is no warning/error when loading the asset. After loading the asset on the basic model, the expected shape still can be identified (Just to avoid a lengthy "one fits all" discussion: we could add the distinction good asset on obese, busty, lean, etc model). Maybe evaluate if the asset is completely messed up or not when some sliders are set to extreme (e.g. fat and tall). Of course this definition could discourage beginners, but on the other hand it could also be a guide what to care for. And having some objective criteria for a good asset is still better than just a subjective opinion.

Some observation on the current rating system: A useful evaluation will result after some users have voted for the asset, so perhaps the evaluation shouldn't show up before a minimum number of votes (3-5) have been reached.

@CallHarvey3d: I have a Wacom, but this didn't help. I'm just too stupid for this kind of work ... :(
Aranuvir

Postby CallHarvey3d » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:09 pm

haha trial and error, then trial and error. one day you learn enough and have failed enough to actually get it right i am still no good at hair, i have about 9000 more attempts to go...
"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee
CallHarvey3d

Postby CallHarvey3d » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:15 pm

this is one of the greatest things about shared content is being able to look at the mesh, uv and texture layout that someone else has done and learn from it. i have been hacking game content for years trying to teach myself not just design principles but optimization as well which at times can mean everything
CallHarvey3d

Postby punkduck » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi

I will not kill anything or anyone, punkducks or even real punx are a bit frightening but normally they are completely harmless ;)

But I will give a statement.

I allready mentioned in my first posts, that I'm working with Blender and MH for approx. 18 months. I'm still a rookie. In this time I saw Manuel doing all this interesting stuff and suddenly it becomes quiet around makehuman. For 6 months it seems, that nothing visible is happening, now he is working "somewhere" on his own project. In this time I made my first character "Leska" ...

Then I saw comments like in Poser, Daz3d, name-another-software you will get such beautiful human beings, clothes and whatever else. Okay, nobody ask for the price. And sometimes you only pay for new colours or a new texture ... I compared my model to the models you can buy and I realised that the others look more like a stereotype, sometimes only sexy and/or exaggerated.

To sum up, in some way I was afraid that the outstanding work of the MH team becomes more and more invisible.

So, instead of doing these things only at home, I decided to give something back to the community. And I'm happy about everyone who creates clothes or other parts, even if he or she is not perfect. It's absolute not my intention to put someone off the community. Hey, I'm to stupid to create normal-maps until now :oops:

We saw Grinsegold doing interresting and controversial things. We need those people as well, he was doing arts in my eyes. Is he still in the community?

And there is another thing: I'm to old for Avatars or Game-Characters. Furthermore Manga-art or comic style is interresting but I do not have a clue of these things. So I can only do the more "real" things. But I like to see other people doing there work. Normally punx are open-minded :mrgreen:. I'm only doing everyday scenes like in my other hobby (layouts for model railways), so my fantasy is limited. Model railways + my login name and there you get a hint about my age ;)

So I hope nobody will misunderstand the old punkduck :shock:
punkduck

Postby Aranuvir » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:19 pm

What's the problem with your normal maps? Perhaps someone can help.
Aranuvir

Postby CallHarvey3d » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:25 pm

one way for us to encourage all skill levels to post (and to grow the community in general ) is for some of the veterans to make an effort to evaluate and offer tips and instruction
a great thing about this community is the willingness to help. i havent asked a single question here that has gone unanswered and i think thats pretty cool
CallHarvey3d

Postby joepal » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:32 pm

CallHarvey3d wrote:one way for us to encourage all skill levels to post (and to grow the community in general ) is for some of the veterans to make an effort to evaluate and offer tips and instruction
a great thing about this community is the willingness to help. i havent asked a single question here that has gone unanswered and i think thats pretty cool

It's one of my main design goals for the community: To be open, accepting, friendly and helpful.

(although, sometimes, when the zillionth users ask a question that is already answered among the first entries in the FAQ, I secretly scream "RTFM! RTFM!" into a pillow where no-one can hear me)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby loki1950 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:55 pm

RTFM! RTFM!"

Echo that may be the default state with all FOSS projects though in some cases you have to find the manual :shock:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby Mindfront » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:07 pm

I want MakeHuman to thrive. therefore it need more assets of all kind of levels. Like punkduck I dont want anyone to be afraid to post anything they do. All knowledge start from zero and one will never be fully-trained. I have lots of years of computer graphics experience I use when texturing, a couple of years with Blender, about a year with MakeHuman, and about four month to make clothes for MakeHuman. Be creative and experiment and dont be afraid to show what you create.
Mindfront

Previous

Return to Community discussions