Restructuring the forums

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Restructuring the forums

Postby joepal » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:48 am

As Aranuvir has pointed out for me, the forums have gotten a bit errattic. The division among the subforums has evolved organically, and since some of the historical reasons for the divisions no longer exists, some of the subforums doesn't really make sense anymore.

This is the division today:

Code: Select all
The makehuman software
  News from the crew
  General discussions about makehuman
  WIP (Work In Progress)
  Bugs, problems and feature requests
  Python scripts
Community
  Community discussions
  Gallery
  Monthly contest
  User contributions
  Asset discussions
  Tutorials
  Newbies
  Unofficial plugins (mhx2, etc..)
  Off topic

A very preliminary and very rough new division could be this:

News                                 ("News from the crew" merged with "Community discussions", only moderators can post new items but everyone can comment)
General discussions about makehuman  (merged with "User contributions")
Bugs and problems                    (renamed from "Bugs, problems and feature requests")
Newbies                              (moved to a more prominent place, otherwise untouched)
Artwork                              ("WIP", "Gallery" and "Monthly contest" merged)
Asset development                    ("Asset discussions" renamed)
Code and plugins                     ("Python scripts" renamed)
Tutorials                            (untouched from before)
MHX2                                 (renamed from "Unofficial plugins")
MakeWalk                             (new forum)
Off topic                            (untouched from before)

(also, the sections are here removed, so all forums end up in one big section)

According to Aranuvir's google-fu, it should be possible to move all posts from one forum to another when deleting it. But I think I'll want to test this on a clone of the forum before trying it live. :-)

Anyway, the above is a rough draft. Please comment and suggest changes. It'll be a while before I have time to set up a test environment for MH anyway.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Restructuring the forums

Postby loki1950 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Like the proposed reformat joel should simplify things for the new comers as you mentioned the historical reasons for the current divisions are no longer applicable.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby Aranuvir » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:47 am

Personally, I totally agree with joels proposal and loki. It would be great getting further opinion/wishes/ideas from other users.
Aranuvir

Postby RobBaer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:08 am

Looking at your "rough proposal", there are two types of discussion that have seemed relevant to larger groups of board users, but which may not be explicit in your categories.

One is moving MakeHuman assets into downstream applications. I'm particularly thinking of "second life" users were quite active, at least at one time. I don't know whether the latter users are as active as they once were, but if so, they might like a special section. Other downstream destination apps would certainly be Unity and UE4. I don't know what you would call such a section, "MakeHuman Pipeline Applications"? "MakeHuman Target Applications"?
"MakeHuman Workflows"?

The other is MakeClothes which is related to "asset development" but might be in the title as in "MakeClothes and Asset Development".

I think a restructuring is a timely idea.
RobBaer

Postby loki1950 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:55 am

Very relevant points Rob it might take awhile for us to sort the current data base though :| and reassign topic the the right forums.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby joepal » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:31 am

How about adding subforums for the most visible suspects?

I think it's a valuable strategic goal to improve the support for major game / 3d platforms. Having explicit subforums for these things might make that strategy more visible. On the other hand, if those forums remain empty with no posts whatsoever, that's bound to not overly impress users of those platforms.

Revised new forum structure:

News                                          ("News from the crew" merged with "Community discussions", only moderators can post new items but everyone can comment)
General discussions about makehuman           (merged with "User contributions")
Bugs and problems                             (renamed from "Bugs, problems and feature requests")
Newbies                                       (moved to a more prominent place, otherwise untouched)
Artwork                                       ("WIP", "Gallery" and "Monthly contest" merged)
MakeClothes, MakeTarget and Asset development ("Asset discussions" renamed)
Code and plugins                              ("Python scripts" renamed)
Tutorials                                     (untouched from before)
MakeWalk                                      (new forum)
MakeHuman and MHX2 vs Blender                 (renamed from "Unofficial plugins")
MakeHuman vs Unity3d
MakeHuman vs Unreal Engine
MakeHuman vs 3ds max
MakeHuman vs maya
MakeHuman vs Second Life / OpenSim
MakeHuman vs BabylonJS
MakeHuman vs other external applications
Off topic                                     (untouched from before)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby Déesse » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:02 am

RobBaer wrote:Looking at your "rough proposal", there are two types of discussion that have seemed relevant to larger groups of board users, but which may not be explicit in your categories.

One is moving MakeHuman assets into downstream applications. I'm particularly thinking of "second life" users were quite active, at least at one time. I don't know whether the latter users are as active as they once were, but if so, they might like a special section.

I agree! Maybe there will be a great need of tutorials or information soon, relating to the new bento rig.

A preview here:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11970&p=34619#p34619
Déesse

Postby badwolf » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:18 pm

my suggestions

1 i would think that the external aps forums should be named "MH with %apname%" since we are not having fights between the aps
2 there should be some separation between assets that are WIP state and assets that are "release quality"
3 on the tutorials there should be a simplish way of lifting a new tutorial from the forum to the wiki when it is close to complete

on the subject of tutorials we should start with a tutorial on how to do a non-video screenshots when needed tutorial (videos are good but slow things down for folks that can speed read or need to refer back to previous steps)
badwolf

Postby joepal » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:38 pm

Thanks. I sometimes confuse the english prepositions. :-)

I might have ended up with "for" too if I had thought longer about it.

But someone who actually speaks english should decide which sounds best. :-)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Return to Community discussions