Uploading 3D Objects

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Uploading 3D Objects

Postby Wakane » Fri May 06, 2016 7:48 pm

Question:

How do you get 3D Objects into MakeHuman?

I have been looking through these forums for close to two weeks and, though I have found more and more content that I wish to use, I can't seem to figure out or find how to get that content into the program. If this is the wrong thread, I apologize ahead of time. I'm just frustrated at this point. The Program is very helpful when trying to create characters but I can't seem to get the clothes, hair, weapons, etc. that I need imported to make the characters the way I see them in my head for a game I am trying to build. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?? Most of the ways I have found don't work. Thank you for your time and attention.
Wakane

Re: Uploading 3D Objects

Postby loki1950 » Sat May 07, 2016 3:49 am

First off any clothes etc you want to use within makehuman must be created with the makeclothes addon for blender it automatically saves these assets to the right location C:Documents and Settings\username\Documents\makehuman\v1\data\clothes so that they may be seen by makehuman and if you are adding weapons that are held in the characters hand the you must create special poses for the hand position also in blender as makehuman does not support posing (moving bones) so blender must be the main part of your workflow there are no easy ways you have to be able to use a full 3d modeling app not just makehuman as it is primarily a character creation app not a 3d modeling app and it will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby joepal » Sat May 07, 2016 4:58 am

Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Wakane » Wed May 11, 2016 1:37 pm

Hello, loki1950!
Okay, I want to make sure I understand you properly. MakeHuman is for just making the basic character but Blender is for adding the 3D Objects, modifying the character assets {hair, adding weapons, posing, ect.} but I would use Unreal Engine once I have finished doing all the modeling and modifying. And in Unreal, I can do the animation, add collision principles, etc.? That would make sense. I don't know how the 3D objects I have were created. They were items that were suggested in the Contributions Forum here, I'll go back to where I got them from and find out how they were made and what was used in their creation. Thank you so much for this information. Since I'm still learning, every shred of knowledge is welcomed and beneficial. :D Thank you so much for helping me with this!

Hello, joepal !
Thank you for responding to my post! Yes, I looked in the FAQs first actually and nothing there is working. I am following the instructions step by step but the 3D objects aren't showing up in MakeHuman when I launch it. And from what loki1950 says, they may not show up in MakeHuman sadly. Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you again so much for your help.
Wakane

Postby joepal » Wed May 11, 2016 1:51 pm

Wakane wrote:Hello, joepal !
Thank you for responding to my post! Yes, I looked in the FAQs first actually and nothing there is working. I am following the instructions step by step but the 3D objects aren't showing up in MakeHuman when I launch it. And from what loki1950 says, they may not show up in MakeHuman sadly. Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you again so much for your help.

For MH, "3d objects" can only mean objects specifically modeled for MakeHuman, such as clothes and hair. These are made using MakeClothes, see tutorial videos here: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... nder_tools

Other generic 3d objects are not possible to use in MakeHuman. They have to be modeled/attached elsewhere, after the character has been exported from MH.

Note that it'd be theoretically possible, although probably not very practical, to model for example weapons as if they were clothes. The reason it's not very practical is that mesh surfaces that are far away from the body have a tendency to deform badly. So a sword blade would probably end up looking very crooked.

Wakane wrote:Okay, I want to make sure I understand you properly. MakeHuman is for just making the basic character but Blender is for adding the 3D Objects, modifying the character assets {hair, adding weapons, posing, ect.}

Yes, this is basically the case: MH is intended as the start of the pipeline. Here you model the character and can attach pre-made clothes, skins and hair styles. You can also choose between static poses and expressions. Everything outside that you model elsewhere, in any 3d editor capable of reading one of the export formats MH uses. On the other side, to be able to attach clothes and hair, these have to be made elsewhere using specific tools.

The set of currently pre-made objects which are not already bundled with MH is available here: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/conte ... ssets.html
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Community discussions