Some "pro" is defaming this program and the models

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Some "pro" is defaming this program and the models

Postby saphilc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:00 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mRweGV8xXw

Shes selling her "app" for 60 dollars and she added this to the video description:

PortraitStudio doesn't differentiate from the competition just because its easy/simple, it's centered around building accurate light models for students/artists. Makehuman does not do what PortraitStudio does. While PortraitStudio sculpts a bust, Makehuman is an artificially and inarticulately lit mmorpg character build room.

what do you guys think? i find irritating that a person who thinks herself a "pro" goes defaming other ppl work just to sell her limited product... :x
saphilc

Re: Some "pro" is defaming this program and the models

Postby loki1950 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:26 am

She is entitled to her option but may not be aware that the Makehuman mesh is intended to be just the starting point for further modeling in a full 3d modeling app which does have proper lighting and materials and we do the whole body not just the head and shoulders ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby duststorm » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:25 am

MakeHuman's main focus is not on lighting, it's on modeling.
And comparing to that application, I think that's still what we do best. The models in that video are pretty crude and don't look particularly realistic.

I think a lot more can be done in terms of lighting, I'm not very much impressed by the lighting in the showcased application. But that's my opinion.
And what about materials? Or skin?

In terms of art reference, I think what these guys are doing is steps beyond the demo on youtube:
http://www.anatomy360.info/

A mistake made I think is trying to do too much, and not having one clear thing that the application is very good at.

But just like me, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby loki1950 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:04 am

MakeHuman's main focus is not on lighting, it's on modeling.

But there is the scene editor where lighting can be played with but then the MH internal OpenGL renderer is fairly simple much prefer cycles in blender better materials control :mrgreen:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby joepal » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:20 am

To me it sounds as if the person in question did the following:

* "Hm, it'd be useful to have a program to model toons"
* "Maybe I can build one?"
* (Programming for a few months)
* "Hmm, cool. Maybe I can earn money on this?"
* (Putting it up for $60)
* Someone asks: "why should I buy this when I can get a much better program for free? Did you even see makehuman"
* (Frantic googling)
* "Aaargh? Someone built this already and have been at it for 15 years?"
* (Decides to try to slander MH to save what's possible to save)

Lesson from my years of being a private entrepeneur: FIRST you do the market research, THEN you invest time and money into building your product. Doing it the other way around usually leaves you in a world of hurt.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby learning » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:47 am

The program in the video isn't really a competitor's for MH. It just generates a bust and a part of torso, and even this is not that good. It doesn't even seem to have textures, and its main (not to say only) selling point is ability to arrange lights in different ways around the model. Well, guess what? There's another program that allows you to arrange lights and make much deeper and more complicated scene including human models as well as any other 3d objects, it's free, open source, cross-platform and it's been around for like 20 years — it's called Blender.

This piece of software in the video is about as niche as the proverbial swiss army knife that can only be used for opening 2-day-old turkey skulls. It is ONLY useful for art students to create images of human faces to practice drawing. Now, most art students I know are rich as fuck, so maybe they'll be okay with shelling out 40 bucks for a piece of software they'll only use on a couple of occasions and forget about it. But in no way it constitutes any competition to MH or MH+Blender pipeline. What this lady is trying to achieve by attacking MH is beyond me.
learning

Postby gaiha » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:07 am

I have to totally concur with all the comments made so far... MH is THE best Human Modeling GENERATOR I have ever run across, and dammed happy to have found it!
To describe MH in one word... EXCELLENCE !

(nuf said)...

MakeHuman has cut a considerable amount of time in my modeling pipeline, and Blender only enhances the FANTASTIC anatomically correct Human Models. Before MakeHuman, I found myself having to give serious consideration to subscriptions and licensing and all that OTHER legal stuff... NOW, a new model is only a few button clicks and sliders away from being imported into a Blender Scene where the real magic begins, with application of artistic talent.

Smoochies
My Dev Box: Asus CrosshairV with an AMD FX-9370 4.4 Ghz 8 core Processor, 32 GB 1600hz DDR3,
GeForce GTX-760 Video card, 2TB Seagate Constellation Class HDD. 1 GB Ethernet Lan
Running Ubuntu 14.04.4 on the 4.2.0-30 Kernel, with the Gnome 3.8.4 Desktop.
gaiha

Postby brkurt » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:15 am

gaiha wrote:
(nuf said)...

MakeHuman has cut a considerable amount of time in my modeling pipeline, and Blender only enhances the FANTASTIC anatomically correct Human Models. Before MakeHuman, I found myself having to give serious consideration to subscriptions and licensing and all that OTHER legal stuff... NOW, a new model is only a few button clicks and sliders away from being imported into a Blender Scene where the real magic begins, with application of artistic talent.

Smoochies

I like how you have used the Female Muscular Proxy with the Three-Strand Braid as your Avatar. So far, in MH 1.1.0 I consider that proxy that new standard of excellence. Just add one (or two) levels of Multi-Res, and you can have real muscle striations and vascularity, without have to create all kinds of normal maps. Manuel has led the way with his new eyebrows and eyelashes; next it will be the entire physique. :geek:
brkurt

Postby gaiha » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:46 pm

brkurt wrote:I like how you have used the Female Muscular Proxy with the Three-Strand Braid as your Avatar. So far, in MH 1.1.0 I consider that proxy that new standard of excellence. Just add one (or two) levels of Multi-Res, and you can have real muscle striations and vascularity, without have to create all kinds of normal maps. Manuel has led the way with his new eyebrows and eyelashes; next it will be the entire physique. :geek:

I have to agree with you brkurt... the only thing left to do is "Merge" the muscular proxies with the default genital proxies for a seamless and anatomically correct pair of Male & Female models... which I plan on using in my project. Generating them in MakeHuman is only the 1st step in my modelling pipeline... I have to add my own rig (a variant of the default rig) and my animation(s) before exporting for use in OGRE3D v2.1 ... I have a copy of the entire Carnegie-Melon Animations Repository. I've been using Blender to modify the animation files to create data sets that will be using the MakeHuman Default Rig.
My Dev Box: Asus CrosshairV with an AMD FX-9370 4.4 Ghz 8 core Processor, 32 GB 1600hz DDR3,
GeForce GTX-760 Video card, 2TB Seagate Constellation Class HDD. 1 GB Ethernet Lan
Running Ubuntu 14.04.4 on the 4.2.0-30 Kernel, with the Gnome 3.8.4 Desktop.
gaiha

Postby joepal » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:01 pm

This is probably a good idea.

Just a head's up concerning license consequences though: If you export one of the proxies which are bundled with the official makehuman, you are allowed to use that under CC0, which is good and proper and in the best of worlds the license under which all assets made for makehuman should be shared. However, the genitals proxies are not bundled with MH, and are only shared under AGPL in the user repos. The CC0 exception does therefore not apply to these.

Any derivate which combined the genitals proxies with something else would suffer from the same problem.

Also, I think there are some texture/UV problems with the genitals proxies, although I didn't check specifically. And that there is an excessive amount of extra mesh density in the female genitals area, something that could probably be optimized.

While it's an extra hoop to jump through, it might in the end be better to not re-use the genitals proxies in this case, and instead re-model those extra parts from scratch.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Next

Return to Community discussions