Gums are messed up

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Re: Gums are messed up

Postby Ghastly » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:04 pm

Why is this problem marked as fixed? Nothing is fixed!

I downloaded a whole new v1.0.2 and installed it in a whole new directory and exported the figure as an OBJ with the unit in centimetres and the gums still have the deformation. I import it into DAZ studio and the deformation is there. I import it into 3D Coat and the deformation is there. I import it into Hexagon and the deformation is there. 3 programs the exported mesh is messed up in. There's something wrong with the way MakeHuman is exporting the mesh.

This issue is not fixed.
Ghastly

Postby Ghastly » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:40 pm

Even in blender the guns are messed up.

So clearly if some people are having a problem with exporting the mesh and others aren't then the problem must lie with the way the export routine is writing the file and not the base mesh itself.
Attachments
teeth still messed.jpg
Ghastly

Postby MTKnife » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:46 am

Anything fixed recently would be fixed in 1.1. As indicated by the unchanging version number, nothing's been altered in 1.0.2 for a long time. Try the new version.
MTKnife

Postby Ghastly » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:53 am

MTKnife wrote:Anything fixed recently would be fixed in 1.1. As indicated by the unchanging version number, nothing's been altered in 1.0.2 for a long time. Try the new version.

When will the new version be officially available? I'm not going to pour a lot of work into supporting an unofficial build again. Got burned when the A7 mesh got dumped and I don't want to get burned again.
Ghastly

Postby joepal » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:20 am

Ghastly wrote:
MTKnife wrote:Anything fixed recently would be fixed in 1.1. As indicated by the unchanging version number, nothing's been altered in 1.0.2 for a long time. Try the new version.

When will the new version be officially available? I'm not going to pour a lot of work into supporting an unofficial build again. Got burned when the A7 mesh got dumped and I don't want to get burned again.

We basically only have polishing headers http://bugtracker.makehumancommunity.org/issues/992 and moving the storage of the assets http://bugtracker.makehumancommunity.org/issues/996 in the pipeline. There might be a minor fix or two apart from that. But Manuel has already written a draft of the 1.1.0 release notes and I'm experimenting with building a release candidate. We've decided that none of the other issues are show stoppers, and that they can be deferred to a later patch release instead of blocking 1.1.0.

Short version: what is to become 1.1.0 isn't going to change in any important way from what is the stable branch on bitbucket now.

In particular, if you want to work with the assets (which are on github, not on bitbucket), you are welcome to make a pull request against this https://github.com/makehumancommunity/o ... assets_11x, and if it's within the next few days chances are it'll be included in 1.1.0. If you're not comfortable with git, just attach the items here.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Fred Astair » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:32 am

Ghastly wrote:When will the new version be officially available? I'm not going to pour a lot of work into supporting an unofficial build again. Got burned when the A7 mesh got dumped and I don't want to get burned again.

Yeah, I too felt like I got "burned" when the A7's were replaced by the newer mesh. I had created some models that I thought were quite good and uniquely my creations. I was really put off by the fact that the expressions also disappeared with the introduction of the new mesh because I'd been investing a lot of time and energy creating animations and story lines with the A7. If you remember, the new models also looked like plastic manikins where the A7's had realistic skin done by an artist. I'd finally gotten good with using the A7's in Blender and now they'd gone and set me back by months and months to much lower quality. I couldn't understand why Manuel kept insisting that the new mesh was better and more accurate when the models looked like crap.

Now, there is no comparison with today's models to the A7's, which look clunky and painted in comparison. Manuel was right, of course, but I couldn't see that at the time because the current models were still in development.

That was because I didn't understand how all of this works, and because I was resisting change. I'd forgotten what a wonderful gift these guys were providing when I thought I felt "burned" by change. The truth was that my only investment was the time that I put in to learn how to use this free gift. The fact that they work tirelessly to improve the program means that change is inevitable and that it is not they who should stay put, but me who should go along with the flow and keep pace. These days I never feel "burned" by the changes here, and in fact, I only ever use the nightly builds now, and I find that staying up with the cutting edge releases allows me to understand changes as they occur, and I am no longer frustrated by trying to get them to fix something that has long been resolved. Any models I make now are fluid and replaceable in any application I use them in and I don't get hung up on any one particular "set".

Manuel has come up with yet another leap in model design with his new project, and if I were to scrap every project I worked on just because the models keep getting better and better, I'd never get anything finished that I'm happy with. If you're so stuck on the A7 models, why don't you simply use them exclusively and not use the newer versions at all? There's nothing stopping you from using the older version and nothing forcing you to upgrade....

I miss Manuel here... he always did a good job of putting things into perspective :)
Fred Astair

Postby Ghastly » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:49 am

There are some features of the Alpha 7 mesh that are undeniably superior to the current mesh.

The ears are one such feature. The Alpha 7 mesh the ears look like human ears. The current mesh the ears look like funnels. Every time I look at them all I see is Shrek. The hands on the current mesh are superior to the A7 mesh but the knees are horrible. They look like clay that has been pinched together while the A7 mesh looked like actual kneecaps. The current mesh has a nicer butt, but the old one has a better belly button and shoulders/collarbone/back.

This is why I end up splicing parts of A7 and the current mesh together to make a Franken-mesh of the best features. Over all I find the anatomy of the A7 mesh is superior to the current mesh which just looks like a lump of clay.
Attachments
Make Human Ears.jpg
Ghastly

Postby joepal » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:19 am

Ghastly wrote:There are some features of the Alpha 7 mesh that are undeniably superior to the current mesh.

The ears are one such feature. The Alpha 7 mesh the ears look like human ears. The current mesh the ears look like funnels. Every time I look at them all I see is Shrek. The hands on the current mesh are superior to the A7 mesh but the knees are horrible. They look like clay that has been pinched together while the A7 mesh looked like actual kneecaps. The current mesh has a nicer butt, but the old one has a better belly button and shoulders/collarbone/back.

This is why I end up splicing parts of A7 and the current mesh together to make a Franken-mesh of the best features. Over all I find the anatomy of the A7 mesh is superior to the current mesh which just looks like a lump of clay.

One solution to this would be making a proxy where you graft the desirable pieces together. Then you wouldn't need to re-do it for each character.

In this case, the approach would be:

* Install makeclothes
* Load the 1.1.x base mesh in blender by clicking the "load human" button
* Load the 1.1.x base mesh in blender by clicking the "load human" button (yes, a second time)
* Import the wavefront obj of the A7 base mesh.
* Operate on one of the 1.1.x meshes to paste the desired A7 parts in it
* Mark the modified mesh as "clothes"
* Do other desirable settings in makeclothes
* Select both 1.1.x meshes
* Click make clothes button
* Manually rename the resulting mhclo file to ending in .proxy
* Move all the files to data/proxymeshes

(from http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... logies%3F=)

And, obviously, upload the results to the user contribution areas. :-)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby Ghastly » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:59 am

Can I do that with software other than Blender? I use 3DCoat and Hexagon for my modelling. It would be great to be able to make a Franken-mesh that would work as a proxy within MakeHuman instead of stitching the pieces together manually in Hexagon then cleaning it up and retopologizing it in 3DCoat.
Ghastly

Postby joepal » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:23 am

Ghastly wrote:Can I do that with software other than Blender? I use 3DCoat and Hexagon for my modelling. It would be great to be able to make a Franken-mesh that would work as a proxy within MakeHuman instead of stitching the pieces together manually in Hexagon then cleaning it up and retopologizing it in 3DCoat.

The modeling as such doesn't need to be done in blender. But the final step (clicking the makeclothes button) would be tricky since makeclothes is only available for blender. You could do the stitching/modeling in your favorite editor and then import the mesh in blender for the export.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Previous

Return to Community discussions