Some updates to the community repos

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Some updates to the community repos

Postby joepal » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:07 am

I've made some adjustments of the community repos:

(there are links to the overview views from the user repo start page)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Some updates to the community repos

Postby brkurt » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:51 pm

joepal wrote:I've made some adjustments of the community repos:

(there are links to the overview views from the user repo start page)

Many thanks! I'm going to be replacing all my hair models with my new 400+ strand design. :)
What I'd like to see is some sort of compendium of comments. It seems like users have many different goals. :?
The hyper-realism contingent wants more than most; if we designers are going to meet their needs, they will need to be more specific.
For example, is it really necessary to have diffuse, normal, displacement and bump maps for every contribution?
Some of the comments I receive seem to think so.
brkurt

Postby learning » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:15 pm

brkurt wrote:
Many thanks! I'm going to be replacing all my hair models with my new 400+ strand design. :)
What I'd like to see is some sort of compendium of comments. It seems like users have many different goals. :?
The hyper-realism contingent wants more than most; if we designers are going to meet their needs, they will need to be more specific.
For example, is it really necessary to have diffuse, normal, displacement and bump maps for every contribution?

How about: anything goes as long as it looks good?
learning

Postby brkurt » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:14 am

learning wrote:
brkurt wrote:

How about: anything goes as long as it looks good?

Aye, there's the rub...who decides what looks good? As near as I can tell, I'm the only one submitting hair meshes.

What I've seen of particle hair is sophomoric at best: either straight combed-down or a single ponytail,and worse, it's a Blender-only solution, which means the Maya/Modo/Unity/etc people can't use them.

I'm only interested in creating 3d anime, such as the Clone Wars animations, or my personal favourite the Disney Tinkerbelle movies (whoever writes their scripts has an insane sense of humor).

So for me this is more than enough: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/clothes/ronda_rousey_blonde_corn_rows.html

I made it clear that they were only templates, and now I'm going to make good on my promise to upgrade them.
(First I wanted to come up with a Blender method that everyone could use for their own design work, and I've done that).

I believe that Manuel's latest model incorporates the design features we are all looking for, and I for one eagerly await his return. (I've already implemented his new eyebrow and eyelash design approach, and I'm surprised we all didn't use it a long time ago.
brkurt

Postby joepal » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:31 am

I think learning is on the track: It's completely unfeasible to moderate the uploads. It's also very impractical to write some rulebook, it'll just end up like a 540-page apple EULA and be completely unreadable.

My plan is now, as it has been from the start, to allow pretty much anything and then let the repos self-regulate via the rating system.

Possibly it might make sense to reset all ratings and let users re-vote now that there's more to compare with.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby learning » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:40 am

joepal wrote:I think learning is on the track: It's completely unfeasible to moderate the uploads. It's also very impractical to write some rulebook, it'll just end up like a 540-page apple EULA and be completely unreadable.

My plan is now, as it has been from the start, to allow pretty much anything and then let the repos self-regulate via the rating system.

Possibly it might make sense to reset all ratings and let users re-vote now that there's more to compare with.

I would rather that you don't reset though. Also, a system of user-addable and user-modifiable tags would be helpful. So we could add tags like "realistic", "textured", "3d-scan" etc and users could search for what they want.
learning

Postby Aranuvir » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:30 pm

joepal wrote:[...]
  • Added a warning on the comment form saying that support requests should be posted on forum or as a PM, not as comments on posts
[...]

Could you make a separate topic in the forum for this?
Aranuvir

Return to Community discussions