Captcha on login

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Re: Captcha on login

Postby grinsegold » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:33 am

joepal wrote:I never figured out why this pops up. I've seen it too at some point, and a few days later it stops happening.

If this was a brute force attack, a few days would be more than enough, especially if the captcha is predictable. To write these lines, i had to log in, and guess what: the captcha still is makehuman backwards. I can imagine the following scenarios:

-it's a bug.
-a bored kid tries out a malware, either self coded or downloaded.
-someone prepares an attack against one of the involved persons, and since the intersection is makehuman...

The bug is the most likely scenario, but unluckily the second one is the most unlikely one, not the third one. A kid would have lost the interrest long ago. We should panic now ;) But serious, please do something with the captcha. Thx.
grinsegold

Postby RobBaer » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:49 pm

One more "me too" and it seem stuck on MakeHuman Backwards.
RobBaer

Postby existentia » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:46 am

I have sort of a "me too"; I have to do the captcha at work, but at home (literally just across the road from work), it never happens. Maybe there's another ISP in this district.
existentia

Postby joepal » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:38 am

Only reasonable explanation I can give atm is that one of the antispam services (akismet, stopforumspam) somehow has gotten in your head that something in your access is suspicious enough to show a captcha, but not suspicious enough to outright block you.

As said previously, phpbb isn't amusing to work with (and I've been programming php daily for years now). But I'll try to implement something that excludes users older than a month with at least three posts from having to answer a captcha. Or something in that order.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby grinsegold » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:33 pm

Please don't do that. Deactivating the captcha can't be the solution. I was glad to solve the captcha - if it was unpredictable. I'm not lazy. I'm paranoid.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto.png
grinsegold

Postby joepal » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:29 pm

It's also entirely possible the phpbb captcha check routine gets confused by the varnish server. Since the author of phpbb refuses to implement support for proxy servers, then from phpbb's viewpoint, all logins are done from 192.168.2.254 (which is the IP of the caching proxy server). If lots and lots of login attempts are made from the same IP, then obviously that could be interpreted as a flooding attempt or brute force attack.

(so there are more believable reasons for this phenomenon than an actual hacking attempt... Also, I haven't seen any indication of such an attempt in the logs)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Mikel_J_Gee » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:17 pm

Well... I think, there are "some" probs in general, with the forum (and other things), since some time. I got those "number of tried logins...." too, some days ago. And now I always have to valuate myself with the backward-makehuman...

But to be honest, I personally thought, that's something to do with my location.. I am from Poland and "we" are really used to "things like this". So why am I talking about "some probs in general"?

Some weeks ago I have been locked out completely from the forum, cause system told me, that I "spammed". I wrote an e.mail to the Webmaster, but never got an answer. Thus, some days later on, I was granted access again. So what. Might be a good idea to check once in a while, what's goin' on here, cause with growin' member-counts... might be a bigger prob in the future.

I'm not writing many times in here, cause I do not feel to have something interesting, but I'm reading everything on a regular basis. Yes, and I'm using MH and Blender, but up to now, there is also from this part, nothing worthy to show.. I'm still learning.

What I feel, during the passed few months is the danger, that MH is loosing interest in a wider community. There are some people here, who will never leave, but sometimes there is nobody on, and no-one responds. MH next release is overdue for more than three months now. (I know and I see the probs... but I'm IT-Project-Manager .. and so I know..) But the artists among the community can't see and after some time also do bother and will stay apart.

I love this project, I love the efforts within and I'm feeling really sad, that after 10 years of experience, something "went's down". And a not well running forum-software is only another (negative) brick in the wall, for those who do not talk, but are turning away.

Why do I write this all? No, not for beefing about!! But for begging You all from staff, to think it over carefully: Try to be a bit more transparent, try to "act" if someone comes up with an issue (sent by e.mail - not via forum). I for my part am satisfied, that access is again possible... but there are people out there, who DO NOT try every day again to get in. They expect a mail and if there's nothin'...? Ok.. That's it!...

I know, it's difficult. But be honest. Do not only react on posts with questions about the future with the answer ".. could help us, if..." Be proactive. If You all have resource-probs, then ask officially for assistance. But be clear from the beginning: Where, what and when.

:-) and, yes.. I'm "only" an organizer no coder, so I can't offer, what You need, because I think an Project-Manger You have, and seems to be quiet fine.

Sorry, for beeing a bit direct.
Mikel_J_Gee

Postby RobBaer » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:06 am

Mikel_J_Gee wrote:What I feel, during the passed few months is the danger, that MH is loosing interest in a wider community. There are some people here, who will never leave, but sometimes there is nobody on, and no-one responds. MH next release is overdue for more than three months now. (I know and I see the probs... but I'm IT-Project-Manager .. and so I know..) But the artists among the community can't see and after some time also do bother and will stay apart.

I love this project, I love the efforts within and I'm feeling really sad, that after 10 years of experience, something "went's down". And a not well running forum-software is only another (negative) brick in the wall, for those who do not talk, but are turning away.

The entire community loves and cares about the project too. ;)

Projects are not without their struggles and resource limitations. It is incredible how much has been accomplished in just the last year!!! There is plenty of bright future still ahead!
RobBaer

Postby Ajax » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:16 am

I've been having this problem, as well, and have had it from sign up.
Ajax

Previous

Return to Community discussions