Community packages?

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Re: Community packages?

Postby learning » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:11 pm

brkurt wrote:And now to the core of the problem: whose digital clothing are we to measure ourselves against?

If we decide to compare ourselves to the best of Marvelous Designer users, such as RosemaryR, the problem becomes that no matter how detailed the clothing model is, MD creates a unique mesh for that particular animation, and even then does not produce a pure quad result. MD did (or does not intend) to create universal animatable meshes, and the goal of MakeClothes is just that.

So, MakeClothes is intended to be a replacement for Marvelous Designer?

That brings the discussion to a major crossroads:

When you criticize the contributions, are you focusing on the lack of realistic detail for a stationary model, or the problems in illegal intersections and/or folding during an animation?

This has been discussed in detail. With respect to folding, here is the present state of things:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11326&p=26621&hilit=marvelous+designer#p26621

You've raised an important question here. I have to admit I'm not very knowledgeable in the 3d clothing environment. I know there is a lot of clothing for poser. Most of those clothes will not fit just any character, but there are a lot of them and they look good. Some of those are probably commercial and cost money, but even those that are free on sharecg and such look very good indeed. I know there are some clothes for Second life, and there are at least some for Miku Miku Dance. Additionally, there are a lot of clothes/armor/utiforms/etc in games and such, and those look okay as well. How they are made, I honestly have no idea.
What's my problem with pretty much everything we've created for MH is that they just don't look as good. I assume some of them can be fixed with decent textures (I only made textures in KolourPaint, and you didn't even try texturing your assets), so if we ever get actual artists on board things are gonna improve. But there is some influence of limitations of MakeClothes itself, e.g. demanding all-quad meshes or impossibility to make multi-material clothes… The problem with mesh deformations during posing or animating is next-gen problem as far as I'm concerned.
learning

Postby wolgade » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:23 pm

learning wrote:But there is some influence of limitations of MakeClothes itself, e.g. demanding all-quad meshes or impossibility to make multi-material clothes

Is this a limitation of MakeClothes? Can MH handle more than one material?
wolgade

Postby learning » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:05 pm

wolgade wrote:
learning wrote:But there is some influence of limitations of MakeClothes itself, e.g. demanding all-quad meshes or impossibility to make multi-material clothes

MH itself? I can't see why not. Worst case scenario, MakeClothes could split one asset into several objects by material. MH handles several objects alright.
learning

Postby badwolf » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:47 pm

learning wrote:
wolgade wrote:

MH itself? I can't see why not. Worst case scenario, MakeClothes could split one asset into several objects by material. MH handles several objects alright.

the problem is what most likely will have to happen is

1 the object gets split into sub objects by material
2 the MC script gets run with each object in turn

the big problem is you might not have the sub objects mesh correctly afterwards.
badwolf

Postby duststorm » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:59 am

If you split objects, but have their shared vertices in the same coordinates, then MakeClothes will fit those vertices on the same spot on the human deterministically if the vertex groups are equal.
So it is possible.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby badwolf » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:54 pm

duststorm wrote:If you split objects, but have their shared vertices in the same coordinates, then MakeClothes will fit those vertices on the same spot on the human deterministically if the vertex groups are equal.
So it is possible.

so you are saying its a bit "iffy"" (and you might want to have verts setup as Bridging bits)??
badwolf

Previous

Return to Community discussions