User contribution areas opening up

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Re: User contribution areas opening up

Postby brkurt » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:44 pm

joepal wrote:Can you provide an error message or a screenshot? "Can't seem to upload" is a bit sparse to start debugging from.

The upload area is intended for MakeHuman clothes, ie MHCLO files. You can't use a blend or a collada file inside MakeHuman.

Generic 3d assets which are not specific for MakeHuman can be uploaded to generic repositories (on other sites), for example BlendSwap and similar.

Thanks for the clarification about formats. I'll put my models up on http://www.geekopolis.ca (once I've overhauled it for the coming school year).

Okay, I tried on Firefox 38.05 on Windows 7 Professional. The 'Models' page works, but the 'Clothes' page does not. On the 'Clothes' page all I get is my account View or Edit.
brkurt

Postby joepal » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:46 pm

Ok, I see what I did wrong with the permissions. Can you see if you can access it now?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby brkurt » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:48 pm

joepal wrote:Ok, I see what I did wrong with the permissions. Can you see if you can access it now?

Works now. I see I'll have to get serious (finally!) about baking maps. :)
brkurt

Postby learning » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:23 pm

In order to view, download and/or upload clothes you need to be logged in. You can log in using your forum username and password. If you do not have a forum account, go here and click "register".

Would you make it possible to view and download things without registering please? Seriously, the last thing you need is bajillions of bogus user accounts people will create only to download some asset and then forget about it.
learning

Postby joepal » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:50 pm

The makehuman sites count traffic in hits per second. If/when we get material up in the repositories, there's a good chance a lot of it will be largeish binaries (texture files). Since the sites hang on my office's general bandwidth, I have to take measures to keep that traffic down a bit. Requiring logins will at least keep misbehaving bots, siterippers and drive-by downloaders out.

I suspect this is one of the reasons most other graphics assets sites also requires login to download stuff.

For reference, only the downloads of the makehuman software generates 150 gb worth of traffic each day, which is why we had to outsource it to tuxfamily. But that's not feasible to do with database-driven structured data like these repos.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby learning » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:06 am

Well, robots are easy to keep away, for a site-ripper creating an account is the least of possible problems and what's wrong in drive-by downloads? Isn't it the whole point? Anyway, I'd suggest starting with a more open variant. That's good for PR, it's like telling the internet: "Look, we have goodies here!" If it gets hard on the server, you can always add captcha for anonymous downloads and/or other limits later.

Also, I've tested the clothes system as you may have noticed. Everything seems to work alright, but editing one's submission once it's submitted is still kind of shaky. Of the features, I miss an ability to upload several files of the same type. For an instance, it's not rare at all for one .mhclo file to have several corresponding .mhmat files, several textures, several thumbnails etc. Eventually, ability for community members to add tags to their own or each other's work would be in order as well, as the collection grows. Also, I'd like more possible licenses (my personal favorite is WTFPL, I tend to slap it onto everything I do), but this is probably low in the priority list.
learning

Postby joepal » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:57 am

Well, robots are easy to keep away

In theory, not necessarily in practice. I've had to firewall a bunch of chinese crawlers that don't respect robots.txt and which started to re-index the whole site daily.

If it gets hard on the server, you can always add captcha for anonymous downloads and/or other limits later.

I'd consider a captcha, but I'm currently not sure on how to implement that in drupal in such a manner as to not make the whole process very cumbersome.

I hear your argument and will consider it, but for now I'm going to keep things as they are in re logins. Which, as said, is also the common practice for how sites like these are set up.

Also, I've tested the clothes system as you may have noticed. Everything seems to work alright, but editing one's submission once it's submitted is still kind of shaky.

How so? Does it fail?

Of the features, I miss an ability to upload several files of the same type. For an instance, it's not rare at all for one .mhclo file to have several corresponding .mhmat files, several textures, several thumbnails etc. Eventually, ability for community members to add tags to their own or each other's work would be in order as well, as the collection grows.

These are very good points which I hadn't thought of. I'll see what I can do about these. One problem in the matter is that there's no easy way to add a linked-tables kind of structure to a drupal content type, so I'd have to provide a fixed number of material slots (maybe three or so?). Well, "problem"... It's ugly, but not really a problem.

Also, I'd like more possible licenses (my personal favorite is WTFPL, I tend to slap it onto everything I do), but this is probably low in the priority list.

I'm open for suggestions on licenses, with the limitation that I want to avoid licenses which are either hard to understand, viral or restrictive.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby brkurt » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:09 pm

Hello Joel...

There needs to be a 'Hair' category somewhere--I'm going to post about six different styles, after see how well my Minoan Hairdo turned out. Nice to have a redhead again!

brkurt

Postby joepal » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:39 am

brkurt wrote:There needs to be a 'Hair' category somewhere--I'm going to post about six different styles, after see how well my Minoan Hairdo turned out. Nice to have a redhead again!

Yeah, I was hesitating on how to proceed with that. Technically, hair is obviously just a separate type of clothes. However, for users who didn't read up on MakeClothes, it would probably be rather confusing to have to look in the "clothes" section for hair.

Maybe it's easiest to just add a new category for it in the clothes section and then provide a separate view which only lists hair.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby joepal » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:47 am

Ok, I added a "hair" category and renamed the view for now.

I also changed the category of your hairdo for testing (in case you're surprised to see that it moved around).
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

PreviousNext

Return to Community discussions