User contribution areas opening up

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Re: User contribution areas opening up

Postby learning » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:22 pm

joepal wrote:
Also, I've tested the clothes system as you may have noticed. Everything seems to work alright, but editing one's submission once it's submitted is still kind of shaky.

How so? Does it fail?

Well, I've tried to add a picture to my model and got an error several times. But today I've discovered that the picture itself I was trying to upload contained errors. Probably, the system got errors when trying to resize a corrupted picture or to make a thumbnail out of it.

These are very good points which I hadn't thought of. I'll see what I can do about these. One problem in the matter is that there's no easy way to add a linked-tables kind of structure to a drupal content type, so I'd have to provide a fixed number of material slots (maybe three or so?). Well, "problem"... It's ugly, but not really a problem.

More like a hundred, lol. There's literally no limit to how many ways one can texture the same model (imagine a t-shirt with a number of prints to get some perspective), so if you're positive there's absolutely no way to make it growable, you'd have to make a massive margin of redundancy.

I'm open for suggestions on licenses, with the limitation that I want to avoid licenses which are either hard to understand, viral or restrictive.

So GNU stuff is out of question then? Bother… Well, at least WTFPL is exactly how you like'em: short, easy to understand, non-viral and totally non-restrictive. :D
learning

Postby learning » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:25 pm

Also, I have another feature request: can you add the button "download all files as one archive"? This most certainly can be done in drupal, I'm sure I saw this feature on drupal sites on more than one occasion.
learning

Postby joepal » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:56 am

learning wrote:
These are very good points which I hadn't thought of. I'll see what I can do about these. One problem in the matter is that there's no easy way to add a linked-tables kind of structure to a drupal content type, so I'd have to provide a fixed number of material slots (maybe three or so?). Well, "problem"... It's ugly, but not really a problem.

More like a hundred, lol. There's literally no limit to how many ways one can texture the same model (imagine a t-shirt with a number of prints to get some perspective), so if you're positive there's absolutely no way to make it growable, you'd have to make a massive margin of redundancy.

It's more a question on whether it should be linked as one content type, or if a second content type "alternative texture", with a separate upload, should be used.

I haven't touched it yet, I'm still thinking on the most user-friendly way to implement it. An upload page with hundreds of slots would be very cumbersome.

There's an extension for drupal for providing a dynamically growing collection of values inside a content type too: https://www.drupal.org/project/field_collection . But I'm unsure if it this is comprehensible at data entry for the casual user.

I'm open for suggestions on licenses, with the limitation that I want to avoid licenses which are either hard to understand, viral or restrictive.

So GNU stuff is out of question then? Bother… Well, at least WTFPL is exactly how you like'em: short, easy to understand, non-viral and totally non-restrictive. :D

I don't have anything against GNU licenses in general, but they don't make any sense in regards to media assets. I mean, what does it even mean if you have a GPL license on a texture? Thay you have to provide the source code for MakeHuman if you make a youtube video? Discussions such as these is what lead to the CC0 exception for MakeHuman.

Also, I have another feature request: can you add the button "download all files as one archive"? This most certainly can be done in drupal, I'm sure I saw this feature on drupal sites on more than one occasion.

Yeah, that is planned. I just have to research what addons are the most convenient for it, such as https://www.drupal.org/project/download
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Previous

Return to Community discussions