Network problems - site will be down tomorrow afternoon

Locked forum where the devs and staff post news about the makehuman software

Network problems - site will be down tomorrow afternoon

Postby joepal » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Despite bugging my ISP, I still have 5-15% packet loss on my company internet connection, making the MH services feel rather sluggish.

Since they tend to blame me and my equipment when I call them, I'm going to take everything down and test with a separate computer and new cables tomorrow afternoon, in order to produce logs showing that the problem isn't on my end.

I expect the downtime to be somewhere around 16:00-17:00 swedish time.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Network problems - site will be down tomorrow afternoon

Postby Tanny » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:50 pm

This is outrageous! I want my money back! :D
Tanny

Postby joepal » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:45 pm

Ok, with only a laptop and a new cat 5 cable plugged in, I still have packet loss.

Anyone got a suggestion for further debugging a packet loss situation when I control none of the infrastructure outside of what I can plug into the wall here?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby RobBaer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:19 pm

joepal wrote:Ok, with only a laptop and a new cat 5 cable plugged in, I still have packet loss.

Anyone got a suggestion for further debugging a packet loss situation when I control none of the infrastructure outside of what I can plug into the wall here?

Some help from sites like these: http://freeola.com/line-test/

can work, but my guess is with a commercial account your isp has done this already. The last time I experienced major packet losses it turned out to be corroded lines outside the building. No amount of inside testing would have found it.
RobBaer

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:08 pm

Indeed, this sounds more like a problem of the ISP/telephone company. Probably there might be corroded lines in the walls of your house (which then will be your problem), or somewhere outside. But, I think, getting this differentiated would need an technician.
Maybe one thing to check (though I'm not really sure in which way you are connected to the internet): some router have advanced configuration options for synchronizing with the DSLAM (speed vs. connection stability).
Aranuvir

Return to News from the crew