New test build for windows

Locked forum where the devs and staff post news about the makehuman software

Re: New test build for windows

Postby joepal » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:12 am

And also, @freehunter: Thank you for taking the time to do this kind of testing. :-)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Freehunter » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Tested the latest stable version by installing in multiple folders in the normal manner and also in a portable installation. Tested by running MH and creating a character and then saving the character with different names.
For general procedure see: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13980#p37375

Names used for save:
female_test
TéléTélé
ру́сскийязы́к
åäöüñé
åäöüûñ
Téléскийяäöü

Summary of Results

WINDOWS XP SP3

NORMAL INSTALL SUCCESS

installed in:
X:\MakeHuman
X:\MakeHumanåäöüñé
X:\MakeHumanåäöüûñ
X:\MakeHumanTéléTélé

Models were saved, for load they all appeared in the File Chooser and loaded sucessfully.

NORMAL INSTALL FAILURE

installed in:
X:\TéléTélé
X:\ру́сскийязы́к

makehuman.exe starts and terminates, nothing displayed, nothing created in My Documents

PORTABLE INSTALL SUCCESS

installed in:
X:\PortableApps\MakeHumanPortable
X:\PortableApps\MakeHumanAnother
X:\PortableApps\MakeHumanTest

Models were saved, for load they all appeared in the File Chooser and loaded sucessfully.

PORTABLE INSTALL FAILURE

installed in:
X:\PortableApps\MakeHumanåäöüñé
X:\PortableApps\MakeHumanåäöüûñ
X:\PortableApps\MakeHumanTéléTélé
X:\PortableApps\ру́сскийязы́к
X:\PortableApps\TéléTélé

MakeHumanPortable.exe launcher starts, makehuman.exe starts, makehuman.exe terminates, MakeHumanPortable.exe launcher terminates
nothing is displayed, MakeHuman does not create anything in the portable user data folder

WINDOWS 8.1

NORMAL INSTALL SUCCESS

installed in:
X:\MakeHuman
X:\MakeHumanåäöüñé
X:\MakeHumanåäöüûñ
X:\MakeHumanTéléTélé

NORMAL INSTALL FAILURE

installed in:
X:\ру́сскийязы́к

makehuman.exe starts and terminates, nothing displayed, nothing created in Documents

X:\TéléTélé

makehuman.exe starts, error popup (TéléTélé.png), close error and terminates, nothing created in Documents

PORTABLE INSTALL SUCCESS

installed in:
X:\PortableApps\MakeHumanPortable
X:\PortableApps\MakeHumanAnother
X:\PortableApps\MakeHumanTest

PORTABLE INSTALL FAILURE

installed in:
X:\PortableApps\MakeHumanåäöüñé
X:\PortableApps\MakeHumanåäöüûñ
X:\PortableApps\MakeHumanTéléTélé
X:\PortableApps\ру́сскийязы́к

MakeHumanPortable.exe starts, makehuman.exe starts, makehuman.exe terminates, MakeHumanPortable.exe terminates, nothing created in user's data folder, no error displays

X:\PortableApps\TéléTélé

MakeHumanPortable.exe starts, makehuman.exe starts, error popup (portableTéléTélé.png), close error and makehuman.exe terminates, MakeHumanPortable.exe terminates, nothing created in user's data folder

Since the failures do not seem to create a log, not sure how to troubleshoot the failures further.
Freehunter

Postby loki1950 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:22 am

A quick google of error 126 seems to relate to Windows registry invalid entries from incomplete installation/uninstallation so a registry clean on your part may be needed.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby joepal » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:44 am

Most of the errors are not altogether surprising. That actively pasting characters from an illegal codepage will cause problems is expected. This is not specific for MH. For example, if I create a folder ру́сскийязы́к and put a text file in it, I'm unable to edit that textfile with gvim, even if I right-click -> "edit with vim" on it.

There's no way to handle this with MH since python won't even find scripts put in such a folder.

What *is* surprising and somewhat worrisome is if "MakeHumanTéléTélé" works while "TéléTélé" does not. I mean, they contain the same characters. (And both works on my swedish win7).

If you can repeat this phenomenon ("MakeHumanTéléTélé" works while "TéléTélé" does not), can you test creating a folder "MakeHumanTéléTélé" and then rename it by removing "MakeHuman" in the name rather than pasting a whole new string? While characters look exactly the same, they can actually be different character classes. For example ";" and ";" are here two different characters (the latter is the greek question mark, unicode 037E, see prank explanation at https://twitter.com/benbjohnson/status/ ... 9423578112).

Anyway, concerning the extreme case with the russian name, I think I'll add a "known issues" section in the release notes at http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/Releases:111 rather than do anything more about it.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby Freehunter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:51 pm

Thinking on this problem should probably note that neither PC used for testing supports shaders, don't know if that would be related. As for the problems with the portable version I don't have enough knowledge of the inner workings of the PortableApps Platform or how it may interact with Python. Will note there are portable Python applications, but don't know if they have problems with non-ASCII characters.

Searching Google did stumble across possible cause and reason why some may not have been able to duplicate my findings for TéléTélé. So ran tests again for all failed installations.

Error loading Python DLL on Windows when executing .exe from non-ascii path · Issue #1224 · pyinstaller/pyinstaller · GitHub
"Yesterday I have discovered very strange behavior of built dist (.exe files) of my program when I tried to open the program from path which contains non-ascii characters and the program was located out of my primary hardisk (on another physical disk). I was able to reproduce the issue on another computer even with simple "Hello world" application. The key thing is to try to launch built application from another drive (even external USB drive) from path which contains non-ascii characters. With only ascii characters everything works fine."
https://github.com/pyinstaller/pyinstaller/issues/1224

Revised Test Summary for Local Install

This is only for installations that failed when installed on flashdrive.
copied folders from flashdrive to hardrive, not new "install"

WINDOWS 8.1

NORMAL INSTALL SUCCESS

installed in:
C:\TéléTélé

NORMAL INSTALL FAILURE

installed in:
C:\ру́сскийязы́к

makehuman.exe starts and terminates, nothing displayed, nothing created in Documents

PORTABLE INSTALL SUCCESS

NONE

PORTABLE INSTALL FAILURE

installed in:
C:\PortableApps\MakeHumanåäöüñé
C:\PortableApps\MakeHumanåäöüûñ
C:\PortableApps\MakeHumanTéléTélé
C:\PortableApps\ру́сскийязы́к
C:\PortableApps\TéléTélé

MakeHumanPortable.exe launcher starts, makehuman.exe starts, makehuman.exe terminates, MakeHumanPortable.exe launcher terminates
nothing is displayed, MakeHuman does not create anything in the portable user data folder

WINDOWS XPSP3

NORMAL INSTALL SUCCESS

installed in:
C:\TéléTélé

NORMAL INSTALL FAILURE

installed in:
C:\ру́сскийязы́к

makehuman.exe starts and terminates, nothing displayed, nothing created in My Documents

PORTABLE INSTALL SUCCESS

NONE

PORTABLE INSTALL FAILURE

installed in:

BLENDER 2.76b PORTABLE TEST

Before going online to post this, thought to try Blender Portable with non-ASCII install folder. Not sure how much of Blender is Python or version. Use XP PC for internet so was tested in XP.

installed on flashdrive in:
I:\PortableApps\Blenderåäöüûñ
I:\PortableApps\TéléTélé
I:\PortableApps\ру́сскийязы́к

Blender Portable runs and can import a file.

So at least know a PortableApp can run from a non-ASCII folder.
Freehunter

Postby Aranuvir » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Well the blender thing is interesting for the future. I have recently tested LukasChess, Gimp, Scribus and Inkscape in the 'russian'-folder. They all refused to start on my system, too (I do not have support for Russian language on my system). All the programs, I've named above, use Python2. I cudgeled my brain which program could be tested using Python3. Of course, stupid me, it's Blender :oops: :oops: . I will recheck this next time, when I happen to boot Windows again. So porting MH to P3 could solve last unicode problems, that are outside the influence of MH.
The PortableApp-thing does not solve any of the code issues, in fact it bears the risk to produce even more problems, since there since there is a second program involved. I basic idea of MHPortable was, despite of bundling it with some plug-ins, that a default installation (by just clicking OK on the installer tool) will end up in a unicode free path. But if the user decide to modify the default install, things could get even worse (if it is true that MakeHuman starts from C:\ TéléTélé, but MHPoratble does not start from C.\PortableApps\TéléTélé (will have to recheck this case). Did you take in account, the current portable version provided is based on the MH build from last summer?
Aranuvir

Postby joepal » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Aranuvir wrote:Did you take in account, the current portable version provided is based on the MH build from last summer?

This is my comment on the portable parts too. It doesn't contain most of the unicode fixes, so I'm surprised it works in as many cases as it seems to do. Testing with it is probably not worth the extra effort since it will fail on bugs which have already been fixed in later versions.

Anyway, another easy thing one can do is start up "cmd.exe" and attempt to cd into the directory. If that's not possible, chances are python applications placed within it will fail (for reasons which is beyond MH to fix). For directories, the basic divider seems to be if cmd can even print the names of the directory. Files seem possible to read even if they are unprintable in cmd, see screenshots here for how it looks with a parallel issue: http://bugtracker.makehumancommunity.org/issues/1107
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby Aranuvir » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:08 pm

Anyway, another easy thing one can do is start up "cmd.exe" and attempt to cd into the directory. If that's not possible, chances are python applications placed within it will fail (for reasons which is beyond MH to fix).

This is only true for Python2 based applications. Just rechecked with Blender, and indeed it started from the folder with the Russian string.
Aranuvir

Postby Freehunter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:56 pm

Just to be clear, the MakeHuman files within the portable versions that were used consisted of the current makehuman-stable-20170201-win32.zip files. The only old executable was the MakeHumanPortable.exe launcher, could that be a problem? Perhaps.

So try to build new from scratch:

1) Install old makehuman-community-1.1.0-cr1.paf.exe in: C:\PortableApps\MakeHumanPortable

2) Delete old MakeHumanPortable.exe

3) Delete all folders and files in: C:\PortableApps\MakeHumanPortable\App\MakeHuman

4) In appinfo.ini change DisplayVersion to 1.1.0 stable 20170201

5) Unzip makehuman-stable-20170201-win32.zip to C:\PortableApps\MakeHumanPortable\App\MakeHuman

6) Unzip community-extras-mhplugins-v1.1.0-cr1.zip to C:\PortableApps\MakeHumanPortable\App\MakeHuman\plugins

7) Install:
NSISPortable_3.0_English.paf.exe
PortableApps.comLauncher_2.2.1.paf.exe
PortableApps.comInstaller_3.4.4.paf.exe

Rebuild launcher and installer.

8) Run PortableApps.comLauncher, new MakeHumanPortable.exe created.

9) Run PortableApps.comInstaller, new MakeHumanPortable_1.1.0_stable_20170201.paf.exe installer created.

10) install to:
C:\PortableApps\MakeHumanPortable

WINDOWS 8.1

SUCCESS

installed to:

Create character save, reset, go to load and File Chooser shows saved model, load model

FAILURE

installed to:

MakeHumanPortable.exe starts, makehuman.exe starts, makehuman.exe terminates, MakeHumanPortable.exe terminates, nothing displayed, nothing created by MH in user's data folder
NOTE: The MakeHumanPortable.exe launcher does update its own housekeeping info in user's data folder.

WINDOWS XP SP3

SUCCESS

installed to:

Create character save, reset, go to load and File Chooser shows saved model, load model

FAILURE

installed to:

MakeHumanPortable.exe starts, makehuman.exe starts, makehuman.exe terminates, MakeHumanPortable.exe terminates, nothing displayed, nothing created by MH in user's data folder
NOTE: The MakeHumanPortable.exe launcher does update its own housekeeping info in user's data folder.

SIGIL 0.9.7 PORTABLE TEST

Also tried Sigil Portable. Again not sure how much is Python but know supposed to have Python 3.5.2 embedded so will not run on XP. (Got out 8.1 PC again.)

installed on flashdrive in:
H:\PortableApps\sigilåäöüñé
H:\PortableApps\sigilåäöüûñ
H:\PortableApps\TéléTélé
H:\PortableApps\ру́сскийязы́к

Started in all, did not try anything.
Freehunter

Postby Aranuvir » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:13 pm

Thanks for testing again. In the meanwhile I have discovered the cause of the "portable" issue. By default P2 converts command line arguments to ASCII. This will be fixed before the next portable release...
Aranuvir

PreviousNext

Return to News from the crew