March monthly contest: "Male"

Contributions for and discussions on the monthly contests.

Moderator: joepal

Re: March monthly contest: "Male"

Postby grinsegold » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:42 am

o4saken wrote:add darker and lighter strokes over the whole thing many times till it looks like hair.

You say you literally paint the specularity onto the plane, right? The result is a pre-shaded wig, not one that still catches different reflections depending on the angles between the light source, the plane normal and the camera, right?

o4saken wrote:..., comb the particles a bit, set background transparency on and render.

Like a sort of projection paint from a render? Like "handbaked"? I already tried it that way, but not as a one-plane-per-strand solution, but rather one plane for all. But if the hair has volume and strands and whatnot, you can't just projection-paint that onto a helmet. In a perfect world blender was able to bake particle hair onto meshes, but sadly blender didn't do that for me. Please, somebody, shout out now and tell me that i'm an idiot and that of course you can bake strand particles directly onto substitute-planes! [...]

I like the concept of the hair as is used e. g. at "hair_female_pigtails" ( i think i ported that wigs from a educational blend from cgcookie). I just dont like the result. It isn't very convincing. Maybe it's just me. Maybe it just misses a translucent part. But being able to dial the color, having only an alpha- and a bump-map, is kind of cool. And it interacts with lightsources. The picture show the best i can do with it, replacing cgcookies diffuse bsdf and others, and adding translucency. It seems as if hair more or less acts like translucent metal...
Attachments
14.png
grinsegold

Postby o4saken » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:44 pm

grinsegold wrote: The result is a pre-shaded wig, not one that still catches different reflections depending on the angles between the light source, the plane normal and the camera, right?

Unfortunately this is how polygon hair works, hence people make many small planes and texture them so that there is at-least some sort of light interaction.

grinsegold wrote: Like a sort of projection paint from a render? Like "handbaked"? I already tried it that way, but not as a one-plane-per-strand solution, but rather one plane for all. But if the hair has volume and strands and whatnot, you can't just projection-paint that onto a helmet. In a perfect world blender was able to bake particle hair onto meshes, but sadly blender didn't do that for me. Please, somebody, shout out now and tell me that i'm an idiot and that of course you can bake strand particles directly onto substitute-planes!

Not sure i follow, or if you misunderstood what i meant by using the plane to render yourself a texture that can be used. but here is a picture the camera looking literally just over the pane and with transparency switched on in your render. the result is a decent hair diffuse texture. Spec and bump can be made mannually in Photoshop gimp etc
hair.png
o4saken

Postby grinsegold » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:47 am

Okay, i see. I had the same idea. And i used the matcap in normalmap-mode to render out the normalmap. And all the other textures could also be easily baked out of course, but i have no need to optimize the character polycount-wise, so i gave up that path. If one does not use real time rendering or animations, particle hair is great.
grinsegold

Postby jorgeo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:59 am

If one of you clothing gurus needs some inspiration for non traditional male outfits, I could definitely use some competitive Latin dance clothes for males!
Here are some screenshots:
Latin outfit 1
Latin outfit 2
Latin outfit 3
jorgeo

Postby o4saken » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:00 pm

jorgeo wrote:If one of you clothing gurus needs some inspiration for non traditional male outfits, I could definitely use some competitive Latin dance clothes for males!
Here are some screenshots:
Latin outfit 1
Latin outfit 2
Latin outfit 3

I tried my hand at an attempt at this:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13063&start=110
o4saken

Postby wolgade » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Just out of curiousity: We had a march contest. We have entries. When will the voting start?
wolgade

Postby joepal » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:49 pm

When I get moving and make thumbnails and a poll. Rob reminded me this morning too.

I'll take a look at it tomorrow.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Previous

Return to Monthly contest