Makehuman 5997 to Marvelous Designer

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Makehuman 5997 to Marvelous Designer

Postby brkurt » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:23 pm

Hello everyone...

I've just created my first Avatar port from Makehuman to Marvelous Designer. I'm still learning how to manipulate its object hierarchy (Bounding Box -->Arrangement Point --> Pin), but it does work as claimed. :)

The first character is wearing a simple surgeon's smock; I'll get fancier later.

The incredible drawback is that MD only exports clothing as triangles, so for all intents and purposes it is useless for open-source animation. :o

I figured that I would need to create two parallel workflows, and I was right. :(

Makehuman models are head and shoulders better than Marvelous Designers, but that was to be expected. ;)

brkurt

Re: Makehuman 5997 to Marvelous Designer

Postby duststorm » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:54 am

brkurt wrote:The incredible drawback is that MD only exports clothing as triangles, so for all intents and purposes it is useless for open-source animation. :o

Does it export randomly oriented triangles or are they grouped as quads? If it is the second, you can convert it back to a quad mesh. Otherwise you will have to retopo the mesh.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby brkurt » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:54 pm

duststorm wrote:
brkurt wrote:The incredible drawback is that MD only exports clothing as triangles, so for all intents and purposes it is useless for open-source animation. :o

Does it export randomly oriented triangles or are they grouped as quads? If it is the second, you can convert it back to a quad mesh. Otherwise you will have to retopo the mesh.

They are random, about the look of a medical scan, like the pelvis I posted. Compare this to putting the A8 mesh through MD, and then reconverting it in Blender. Same out as in! :)

Blender 2.68a has a new Retopo plugin that might help. My goal is to use MD as the 'bar' for cloth folding and draping, then create a quad mesh in Blender from vertex group design and shape keys.
brkurt

Postby duststorm » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:19 pm

brkurt wrote:Blender 2.68a has a new Retopo plugin that might help. My goal is to use MD as the 'bar' for cloth folding and draping, then create a quad mesh in Blender from vertex group design and shape keys.

With a good retopo tool it should not take too much work. It's a pretty simple topology, as most clothes are. You can probably reuse the same topology template for most similar clothing pieces.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby jakeypoos » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi brkurt

Can you tell me how you export from make human into marvellous designer because I've been trying all day and no matter what format I use something about it doesn't work. The nearest I've got is to export an fbx file and import it to marvellous designer. It arrives OK and has X-ray points and is posable but when I save the project, close and then open the project the avatar is all jumbled like it's been in an horrific accident :)

Please help

Jake
jakeypoos

Postby brkurt » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:07 pm

jakeypoos wrote:Hi brkurt

Can you tell me how you export from make human into marvellous designer because I've been trying all day and no matter what format I use something about it doesn't work. The nearest I've got is to export an fbx file and import it to marvellous designer. It arrives OK and has X-ray points and is posable but when I save the project, close and then open the project the avatar is all jumbled like it's been in an horrific accident :)

Please help

Jake

The first question is: what is your target app. If you are using fbx, I'm assuming something in the Autodesk Maya family. FBX import and export was just being worked on when I discontinued using MD 4; so I'll tell you what I know.

I use the Collada export from MH, and with some resizing (it's been a while, but reducing to 10% sounds about right). If you search for 'Marvelous Designer' across the Makehuman forums, you will find all my work posted.

To help get you started, trying downloading and running these two files, the last things I did on the Marvelous Designer forum, where I posted as zincChameleon.

http://www.geekopolis.ca/marvelous_designer/monkessWalkCycle1.ZPrj

http://www.geekopolis.ca/marvelous_designer/tubeTopYogaPants1.ZPrj
brkurt

Postby jakeypoos » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:34 am

brkurt, Thanks for the 2 downloads they do work really nicely.

I’m making landscapes in Sketchup/Thea render, and at the moment I’ve added people from the 3D warehouse, but I really need to make my own as OBJs

The forum search just brought up, this thread and one other without any info on how to import.
So, I’ve made my 1st very short (2 min) screencast (link below) to show you how I import the avatar at the moment. If I can import makehuman avatars I’ll make a tutorial to show everyone else, crediting you of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfkjhoU6plM&t=0m0s

Thanks
jakeypoos

Postby brkurt » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:31 am

jakeypoos wrote:brkurt, Thanks for the 2 downloads they do work really nicely.

The forum search just brought up, this thread and one other without any info on how to import.
So, I’ve made my 1st very short (2 min) screencast (link below) to show you how I import the avatar at the moment. If I can import makehuman avatars I’ll make a tutorial to show everyone else, crediting you of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfkjhoU6plM&t=0m0s

Thanks

This is what it ought to look like; it is a matter of scaling. I always sent my Makehuman Collada file through Blender, which make be the reason for the difference.

and

Here is the forum post:

http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/community/forum/WIP/4093
brkurt

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)