MPFB skin model v2 (NSFW)

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

MPFB skin model v2 (NSFW)

Postby joepal » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:31 am

I've picked up the work with designing a new master skin shader. Still early, but I think the results are encouraging so far.

In the image, what you see is a completely procedural shader. No normal map, no diffuse texture.

EDIT: should be "... is a MOSTLY procedural shader".

skin_shader_v2.png

Specific areas of interest to note:

- The sub-cutaneous color variation
- The skin topology (obviously)
- The scale and properties of the skin topology are fine-tuned for the face independently of the rest of the body
- Topology and color of nipples. Note "wart" bumps around the edge.
- Topology and color of lips. Note creases and ridges.

Difficult to see but still there is that the material will automatically take the character scale into account when, for example, determining the SSS radius scale and the texture scales.

Another difference to the current MPFB skin model is that all this is included in one material. That is, eventhough the lips and aureolae look rather different, they are still parts of the same master skin shader node tree. In the current MPFB skin material, lips and nipples have separate material instance.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: MPFB skin model v2 (NSFW)

Postby Aranuvir » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:08 pm

Great work, looks really promising. I'm just curious how you addressed the topology problem an a procedural workflow.
Aranuvir

Postby tomcat » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:41 pm

Excellent work! Does the shader allow you to smoothly change skin tone and color (depending on race)? It' s a Blender shader, isn't it?
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby joepal » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:41 pm

Aranuvir wrote:Great work, looks really promising. I'm just curious how you addressed the topology problem an a procedural workflow.

Actually "completely procedural" was pretty inaccurate of me to say. Or more along the lines of "completely wrong". It's simply not true.

The areas of the body are defined with BW jpeg images. This is for the face:

mpfb_face.jpg

These are shipped with MPFB2, and I have a solution for creating general system node groups that picks up the path to these area defining images.

So while "no normal map, no diffuse texture" is true, "completely procedural" is not.

Some areas/distances are actually fully procedural though, for example where to place the ring of bumpiness at the edge of the aureolae. This is calculated as a distance from a constant coordinate in UV space. The center of the nipple is always at a specific UV coordinate, no matter which targets have been applied. Thus we can specify that a bumpiness texture shall start, say, 0.08 UV units from that coordinate and end 0.12 from it.

tomcat wrote:Excellent work! Does the shader allow you to smoothly change skin tone and color (depending on race)? It' s a Blender shader, isn't it?

Thanks. Yes, it's a blender material, and every such aspect can be varied.

This is actually the main goal: that the look of the skin can be completely customized without having to create new image textures.

As a side note: it is fully possible to also hook both diffuse textures and normal maps to the shader. It is then possible to say to what extent the diffuse texture should be used over the given color settings for the body areas.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby joepal » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:46 pm

Further additions:

- Ability to tweak color of eyelids (partially hidden behind the eyelashes here)
- Tweaked lips ridge generation
- Skin spot layer for skin imperfections

skin_shader_v2_spot_eyelids.png
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby Aranuvir » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:58 pm

OK, good know. How many region masks do you use?
Aranuvir

Postby joepal » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:03 am

The ones that exist so far are:

aureolae.jpg
eyelids.jpg
face.jpg
fingernails.jpg
inside-mouth.jpg
lips.jpg
toenails.jpg

... but I plan on adding at least ears, scalp, genitals, palms and soles too. In a node setup the system textures look like this:

systemtexturenode.png

With one such group for each mask.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby Aranuvir » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:03 pm

Some ideas that could improve the workflow:
- Perhaps you should consider to mix shaders instead of colors, so you can control more features like roughness/gloss, SSS or normals.
- I'm not sure how much these textures impact the workload of the gpu/vram. Perhaps it would be beneficial to pack several textures in the red, blue and green channel and unpack them with the separate rgb node in the node editor
- Consider to use a different file format. The lossy jpeg format is probably not ideal.
Aranuvir

Postby tomcat » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:09 pm

I am thinking about the possibility of transferring shaders to the game engine.
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby joepal » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:53 am

My guess is that it'd be very difficult to get the blender procedural shader to translate to a godot procedural shader.

However, you should be able to bake the result of the blender procedural shader into a diffuse texture and a normal map and then use these instead.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Next

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)