Mhx2+ Exporter/Importer

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Mhx2+ Exporter/Importer

Postby MTKnife » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:57 am

The main application is distributed mostly in binary form, broken down by OS, though parts of it are still Python scripts. Yes, you can install the Python source code alone, but that's not the recommended mode of installation.
MTKnife

Postby loki1950 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:44 am

The binary portions are just installing a Python environment that then runs the Python source code that is makehuman I have run the source code on both Windows and Linux for several years now going back to alpha 0.9 when we where hosted on google code which was shut down and we moved over to BitBucket and now GitHub :geek: but then I have been screwing around with computers for over forty years :D may have forgotten most of it as no longer relevant :lol: but first principals stick.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby MTKnife » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:41 am

Actually, I just checked, and the current version doesn't use an executable at all--it's pure Python. However, earlier versions used a compiled executable for part of the app--it drove be crazy for a bit because I couldn't find part of the code.

In any case, even if you were using an executable to call the Python...you could do exactly that to do what Dragonshair was asking you about.

You can argue all you want, but the answer you gave him was essentially wrong: yes, an "exe" file is, by definition, limited to Windows, but applications use multiple versions of executables for different OS's all the time. Thus, while you were technically correct that creating only an "exe" would leave non-Windows users out in the cold, that statement of fact missed the broader point that, were you to create a Windows executable, you'd probably create equivalent ones for OSX and Linux. That's not "confusing for non power users"--it's the way most commercial and even open-source apps are installed. It is, however, more work for the (volunteer) developer than creating just the Python scripts.
MTKnife

Previous

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)